Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 What does sickness mean spiritually?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogishammy

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was just curious. I've read how people with cancer and other forms of sickness sometimes manages to surrender to it, and so it liberates.

But what about less severe conditions? I suspect I got the Norovirus into my system a few days ago. Monday I felt tired, weak and my muscles were sore. Today, I woke up and had to hurry to the toilet in order to throw up, and there was also diarrhea. This has continued throughout the day.

No throwing up for 3 hours now, and I've managed to eat and drink a little. But I also sense space inside, space and stillness.

I've been thinking about conditions like cancer, alzheimers and parkinsons. What they mean, and if they all are grace in disguise. If you've spent your life trapped in thoughts and mind, alzheimer might be what you actually need in order to find some peace at last. These are only thoughts of mine, I don't mean to offend anyone.

What are your thoughts on sickness and its relation to spirituality?

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi a wonderful book to digest is The death of Ivan Ilych BY LEO TOLSTOY its sad ,beautiful,and spiritual if you can face the read its well worth it .
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogishammy
But I also sense space inside, space and stillness.

Pehaps you have experinced the sort of restraint yogani talks about in Lesson 45?

I think illness - like other challenges - could also present an opportunity. Being in a bad place may increase bhakti. Hardship is sometimes seen as as a spiritual enabler. It very much depends on one's attitude.

When it comes to yoga, it is easier to start from a state of good health. If you have a long term illness, you have to work your way up from a lower level, it will take longer to get in a position when you can handle the sort of energies that we want to stimulate with yoga.

I hope you're feeling better today.
Go to Top of Page

Yogishammy

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
kumar ul islam:

Seems to be a beatiful novel. Read about it on wikipedia. I will keep it in mind.

BlueRaincoat:

You know what, I think I've felt something similar. Sickness seems to force you to slow down. In several different ways.

I feel much better today, no throwing up

Btw - your tip on self pacing in another topic I created has helped me tremendously.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear it. So you are sleeping better these days?
Go to Top of Page

Yogishammy

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  1:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that too. I was thinking about your tip on scaling back practices and integrate the energy raised so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000