Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Pain in chest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  5:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently, I have started to feel a pain in chest, especially in meditation. First, I have tried lowering the time of medititation (the lowest was 5 minutes), and it didn't stop hurting me. Now, I'm not meditating at all, for about 5 days, and it still hurts me a little. It would definitely hurt if I would try to meditate.

It is probally due to a some way of breathing, are there maybe any breathing exercises that would help?

What do you think?

I am 8 months already in it, and only DM, no other practices.
I have allready described some of my experiences in this topic: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=14804

UPDATE: Just tried Spinal Breathing 5min and then DM 5min, and it only hurt me a little bit after it.

Edited by - Sungazer on Nov 30 2014 5:36:42 PM

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  12:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sungazer, had similar experience during some weeks, with chest pain on one side. It went away and now it's fine. No idea where it came from and why it faded.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  1:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sungazer,

When the heart chakra begins to open it can sometimes be experienced as a pain in the chest.

I would recommend continuing as you are, and if the pain is bearable try to up the time gradually to 10 mins DM and from there up again to 10 mins SBP and 20 mins DM. The heart chakra only feels painful for a while whilst it is clearing out so this symptom will not last forever.

If symptoms get worse, you could try breathing meditation for a while to see if it is the mantra that is causing the pain.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aaaaa, heart chakra opening, aaaa, that would be great! I said it allready that I feel pure love during DM!

This is how I'm doing right now, much different: few minutes SBP and then just 5 minutes of DM. That's just enough! But a lot of times a day. When I meditate for 20 min, I could never rest enough, tried it for half an hour and I still felt iritations. Even now from 5 minutes DM I need to rest 20 min! and those 20min I also consider a part of meditation.

And that 5 minutes meditation works so good for me, it intergrates so good with daily activities.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  3:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha, is this fast enough for you then?
We know you were very keen to see progress (aren't we all? )
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Aha, is this fast enough for you then?
We know you were very keen to see progress (aren't we all? )

well, i just feel it after meditation for some time, but I meditate for 5 times a day so that's good

Edited by - Sungazer on Dec 01 2014 3:57:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like you are progressing as fast as you possibly can (no question DM is doing its job) - wouldn't you agree?
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ofcourse, 5min DM + 20min rest works better than 20min DM + #8734; rest

feels so good
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had chest pain in the beginning, and one thing that helps with any residual pain or tightness is breathing in deeply through the mouth (like sucking through a straw). The air goes to the stomach and there is a cooling effect. On the way out there is warmth. It's actually quite intoxicating and simultaneously purifying.
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  7:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

I had chest pain in the beginning, and one thing that helps with any residual pain or tightness is breathing in deeply through the mouth (like sucking through a straw). The air goes to the stomach and there is a cooling effect. On the way out there is warmth. It's actually quite intoxicating and simultaneously purifying.

This does help, thanks.

And, something more, this 5 minutes DM and then rest, it's like it stoped working... :( i was doing it so often, because I thought it's only 5 minutes so I can... Now it actually takes me more to rest and it doesn't have a long lasting effect like the first time...

What would you do? I don't know should I do it for 20min twice a day... I mean, Yogani in lessons says we should just sit for few minutes to rest, and can never rest enough, last time tried it for 45 minutes and then I quit, and it was just 15min DM.

Edited by - Sungazer on Dec 04 2014 7:18:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  05:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried 10 minutes DM twice a day, followed by as much rest as you feel you need?

If that's too much, then perhaps you need to take it slower - that would be switching to breadth focused meditation for a while.
Go to Top of Page

NewbieGG

Bulgaria
52 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sungazer , the first thing I can see from your posts is that you need to simplify the things . As first you may have to decide whether you are doing AYP in Yogani's way or you are about to invent a new system .

If you decide to trust the experience you have to strictly sit twice a day not 3 , 1 or 5 .Morning and evening - one sitting for every 12 hours - sounds balanced ,no? If you need any adjustments do in the frame of each session not in the number of sessions .And it is not about sittings only. Every little thing you read in these lessons is not just randomly thrown , you can imagine that in his 40 years practice Yogani had enough time to learn ,experiment , read and extract the most useful methods .

You can go your own way it is not a bad thing ,trying this and that you can even move a lot faster but then the risk of mess up is greatly increased ( talking from experience)

This is more in general , now about your particular problem - chest pain . I had the same and it was very strong and scary but it passes . Nothing can help , just time , don't panic . About the irritation after DM - this is sign of overdoing, after irritation comes fear so my advice is take your time don't rush .

Edited by - NewbieGG on Dec 05 2014 10:44:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Flat4Wagon

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  12:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I've been experiencing pain in my chest the last two weeks or so. It comes on randomly, I'll feel like a pinch of pain and then it's gone. I've cut back on my SBP and DM and I think it's helping. Hopefully it stops hurting and starts feeling good soon.

I've been doing AYP about 10 months now and my practice was 5m SBP + 20m DM and I do 5m Samyama in my second sit of the day. I've cut down to a few spinal breaths and 15m DM. I usually rest 5-10 minutes laying down.
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Flat4Wagon, try breathing on mounth as @BlueRaincoat suggested, it stops hurting me immediately. Now, i only sometimes feel on the end of the meditation.

@NewbieGG,
Before I stared to experiment I was allready practicing DM very regulary and for long time according to Yogani's system, morning and evening, 20 minutes. Right now, I think I've realized that allmost for the whole time I've been overloading, and right now, I'm practicing just 3 minutes of DM, and it still takes me as much as 20 minutes to rest (even 5min of DM makes a noticeable difference). And yes, just twice a day.

Sorry for late answer, I was busy.

Edited by - Sungazer on Dec 10 2014 3:25:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  07:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If DM has too strong effects for you guys, have a look at Lesson 367 .
It has a section called "Replacing the Mantra with Breath as the Object of Meditation". This is a gentler form of meditation, useful at times when our sensitivity to meditation increases.
Go to Top of Page

Trying

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this. I stopped SBP and only did DM, 20 min, 5 min rest x 2. After about 2.5 months I started getting anxiety attacks and depressed. It didn't help that my job situation is extremely tenuous. At 57 the prospect of unemployment is scary.
Perhaps I'll try it again with only 5 min DM.
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trying

Thanks for this. I stopped SBP and only did DM, 20 min, 5 min rest x 2. After about 2.5 months I started getting anxiety attacks and depressed. It didn't help that my job situation is extremely tenuous. At 57 the prospect of unemployment is scary.
Perhaps I'll try it again with only 5 min DM.

Hi, so have you tried 5 minutes? I would also encourage you to try even lower if just 5 minutes is too much like in my case.

I also just meditate once a day, recenlty I have found that twice is also too much. And just for 2 minutes, and it still does produce somewhat long lasting efects (few hours), that's fine, before I wasn't getting any because I was overloading.

I have tried also a breath meditation once, and it was good... but I won't do that, i find it too hard too focus on breath for 20 minutes, this way right now is better.

Ofcourse, I don't espect getting a lot of benifits right now (with just 2 minutes a a day). This a resting phase I think, resting from about a 5 months of overloading. Benefits will come when I would be able to raise my meditation time again, and I wonder how good will that be when even 2 minutes gives me some bliss!

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000