Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Maha Mudra: A very efficient version that I found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  06:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I found a very nice version of Maha Mudra in which you do all the repetitions first in one leg and then in the other. Here is where I found it.

http://www.nathyoga.org/Insight%20i...&%20yoga.pdf

88 Chapter XVII–YOGA TABLE “M3”

In this way, you avoid waisting time changing legs after every exhalation, and it feels more like a pranayama exercise. All the bhandas to apply while at it are explained in great detail.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power
Thank you for sharing this.
Do you combine it with spinal breathing or do it as a separate pranayama?
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou lots to read in this book .

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome BlueRaincoat and kumar ul islam.

I think it's not specified in the book, but I do it with spinal breathing.

The other most interesting thing that I learned from this book is maha; vedha:

"Maha vedha is done by taking a deep breath, holding it, applying jalandhara bandha and moola bandha, and pressing the palms on the ground, raising the buttocks, then letting them gently strike the floor repeatedly while holding the breath . Do two to ten rounds like this Vedha literally means to penetrate or to observe penetratingly; maha vedha is of great help in keeping you alert to what is happening in the body-mind complex.(With maha vedha our table could be called M4). While making any changes you should be aware of what your body tells you."

Edited by - Will Power on Dec 01 2014 4:52:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

sambo

Australia
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  2:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit sambo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey willpower

Sounds similar to the maha mudra practiced by the kriya traditions

here is a video in which its demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7chqauQIuY

They also combine kriya breathing with maha mudra working there way up the chakras with each leg change, two rounds being a complete cycle from muladhara to sahasra
check it out

regards
sam
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  4:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sam, thanks for the video! I am familiar with Maha Mudra the way it's teached in the kriya traditions and it's really valuable. I also inhale and exhale through Sushumna, and press the leg towards the chest (very good for digestion). But now I am practising all the round with one leg, and then with the other, instead of changing legs after every exhalation.

Thanks again for the video, I hadn't watch it before and the explanation is very nice.
Go to Top of Page

sambo

Australia
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  11:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit sambo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Will power

Thats interesting i was initiated into KYI a few months back and they instructed to take 4-5 breaths in each position or whatever you really feel like at the time. it would seem quite silly to only take one breath as there would be to much moving around, so i understand you wanting to chill out in each position a little longer (:

All the best mate

sam
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  6:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Sambo,

but in KYI to do 3 Maha Mudras you have to change your position 3 times per round, 3x3= 9 times in total. With the version that I linked you change legs only one time in 3 rounds of Maha Mudra (or whatever number of rounds that you want to perform).

All the best mate!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  08:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do Iyengar in addition to SB and DM, and in Iyengar classes it can certainly feel like forever!
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! I don't know it is done in iyenga
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  01:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found that adding mahamudra (Kriya style) to the AYP routine greatly helps to energize/ vitalize when one has a tendency towards heaviness, lethargy and depression.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, specially at the end of the routine to help be again in the body and make the prana and blood circulate in the body
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  12:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

It is said you should practice 1 cycle of Mahamudra for every 6 kriya pranayam breaths.It can be done before or after the kriya breaths.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  05:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

where is it said so? I have always heard 1 Maha M. per 12 cycles of spinal breathing
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2016 :  07:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

Hi! I don't know it is done in iyenga

Hi Will, sorry for not returning to this thread sooner.

In Iyengar (Light on Yoga, asana 58, Plate 125) you have one leg stretched out and the other bent same as the lower leg in siddhasana. You reach forward to the foot (I use a webbed strap). Inhale fully, lower the head (jalandhara?) and tighten the abdomen from anus to navel, also pulling the abdomen in and up. The back is straight, you are folding forward in the groins, not bending the back. Hold the breath one to three minutes then release and relax the body. Repeat the breathing and mudra/bandha cycle, then repeat the entire asana on the opposite side.

No mention of repeated spinal breathing while the various mudras and bandhas are engaged.

I like this one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000