Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Difficulties visualizing Yoni Mudra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cevalus

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  11:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to understand the instructions for Yoni Mudra on AYP lesson 91. I'd like to make sure I get it correctly before I start practising. Whenever I type Yoni Mudra in Google, it doesn't look like anything that's being taught here at AYP. For example:

http://energy-treatments.com/images...relief04.gif

The index fingers in the picture are placed OVER the eyes as opposed to the tip being on the OUTER corner of the eyes.
The thumbs are used to seal the ears and the ring fingers are sealing the upper lip.

Does anyone have a picture or video of someone doing the Yoni Mudra as taught by Yogani?

Why do the technique differ so much?

Edited by - cevalus on Oct 20 2014 11:45:36 PM

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  02:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Cevalus,

Welcome to AYP forums. I believe Yogani teaches a simplified version of Yoni Mudra. That is considered easier and sufficient.

May I ask what your current practices consist of? Yoni mudra is not meant to be a stand-alone practice.

warm regards

Sey
Go to Top of Page

cevalus

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry! I follow the AYP guide as closely as possible! 10 minutes of pranayama followed by 20-30 minutes of meditation.

I'm trying to add yoni mudra but I wanna make sure I get it right before I attempt it!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  01:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great! Yoni mudra is also considered an advanced practice, to be added years later. So I hope you have been doing AYP for at least a year. Yogani has provided us with powerful techniques all available here one-click away. Newcomers often add on advanced techniques just weeks/months after starting and then end up having to drastically cut-back a year down the line. Less is definitely more with AYP.

Enjoy your practices

Sey

Go to Top of Page

cevalus

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been meditating for almost a year now. I've been on AYP for like 8 months. I'm definitely taking it slow, but I've been very diligent with my practice so I do feel like I can add a little bit more!! :)

About Yoni Mudra...How exactly do you place the index. The way I visualize it is almost like this women in the picture:

http://nycdoctors.com/wp-content/up...-200x309.jpg

Is that how Yogani advises us to place the index fingers?
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cevalus

About Yoni Mudra...How exactly do you place the index. The way I visualize it is almost like this women in the picture:

http://nycdoctors.com/wp-content/up...-200x309.jpg

Is that how Yogani advises us to place the index fingers?

Hi cevalus,

Thanks for bringing up a question from Lesson 91. I'm enjoying reviewing. Here is the part particularly relevant to your question (italics mine):

"...we will begin by placing the tips of our two index fingers close to the outer corners of our closed eyes against the lower lids. Then we gently push the eyes up and to the center in the direction of the point between the eyebrows. This should not be done with any strain or discomfort. Just a gentle nudge of the eyes toward the point between the eyebrows...

...we close our nostrils on the outside with our two middle fingers pressing from either side of the nose. At the same time we keep the index fingers in place pressing the eyes gently toward the point between the eyebrows..."

Ok, so unlike the picture linked above, our eyes are closed, our index fingers are "against the lower lids" and "close to the outer corners."

Another clue to positioning is the orientation "toward the point between the eyebrows." So our fingers are pointing toward the eyebrow center.

Another clue that the "nudge" be "gentle" and without "strain or discomfort." My main problem has been pressing too hard on the eyes such that afterward, there is a dull pain on my eyeballs where my fingers were pressing. The trick is to "nudge" ever so gently. To this end, I now use pretty strong pressure on the nose, thus anchoring my hands and arms, and freeing my index fingers to become fine tuned instruments of a gentle nudge toward the third eye.

Namaste

Edited by - bewell on Oct 22 2014 3:43:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000