AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 We are all one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  7:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"I consider myself to be just one among 7 billion human beings. If I were to think of myself as different from others, or as something special, it would create a barrier between us. What makes us the same is that we all want to lead happy lives and gather friends around us. And friendship is based on trust, honesty and openness."

The Dalai Lama

One thread of thinking that seems to pervade some of the various yoga traditions is the idea of enlightenment being the route to rise above the world or to become a super human. It seems to both capture the imagination in a way that is motivating and also at the same time, provide another hook for identity to grasp onto. I think the Dalai puts it in perspective with the above quote.

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  06:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
True enough. One is very lonely in trying to be above others.
Go to Top of Page

shangarh

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  07:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi I an new to the forum and this is a little off topic but music is poetry to the ears and I would like to share a raag .on youtube type in raag yaman ustad sultan khan ,sarangi and listen to a wonderful devotional blissfull music many blessings .
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2014 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem

Yes this wanting to be superior or a superhero is very much part of our physic, it seems.

I was alerted to this when in Asia and saw on some of the temple walls large pictures of Superman and Spiderman and other superheros. At first I wondered what the hell they were doing there in a temple of worship.

It began to dawn on me the way I enjoy such superhero movies and other movies where the good guy can outsmart and outdo the bad guy and then when someone has a superpower, especially a woman, and can overcome the "normal" way of interacting with people by being so superior.

I began to do self-inquiry as I watched these movies and really saw how identified I was with the wish for a superpower or two. A few years ago I probably would not have admitted this to myself or others, overriding any thought of it with spiritual niceties, but now as get a little older, who gives a c++p.

I guess we all have a personality and a constructed self, no matter who we are, and I guess within or out of that we can also experience or have a sense of oneness.

But very natural to take that as a perception of enlightenment i.e. superhero enlightenment. To see it and self-inquire with it is interesting.

Go to Top of Page

kembolini

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  01:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting.

My quest is not to be superhuman but to feel as one, again, and re-experience the bliss and peace that comes with that oneness.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000