AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Question about Self-Inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nyardream

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was reading about this method taught by Ramana Maharshi called "Self-Inquiry" where you're suppose to ask yourself "Who am I". Has anybody had any kind of profound insight by doing this? I ask that question and the only thing that comes up is "The voice who is asking the question". The mind is asking the question, so the mind is also answering it... I can't really get beyond it.. maybe I'm missing the point. I don't really know how one is suppose to focus on that question when the mind answers it every time.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  10:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great question. The main thing is: relational inquiry vs. non-relational inquiry.

Relational inquiry = question released in stillness
Non-relational inquiry = question bounced back and forth between intellectual mind

Relational results in further opening...an expansiveness, or "knowingness" that is not in need of precise knowledge. Non-relational results in entanglement with concepts or identifications that are trying to grasp what is not grasp-able.

How can you tell the difference? Relational falls upon the foundation of tranquility (cultivated through Deep Meditation), and that presence is something you can sense deep within your being. Non-relational stirs up confusion, and you know what that feels like.

Another example: Is the butterfly beautiful? If you ask that question, you can only answer by observing with a kind of silent awe and reverence. There is no proof (though you can illustrate some of its symmetry with mathematics, but still, it's not an absolute conclusion).

So, self-inquiry is based on letting go. If you want to get beyond the verbal answer of your mind, just pay attention to the quiet space in between the words. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  03:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I ask the question 'who am I' when I experience that inner silence during kumbhaka (. and don't expect immediate answer :-)

on the other hand, I try this experiment. Ask who, why for everything happening (is this from Nisargadatta Maharaj ? ) ... When I feel an emotion (anger, love, hatred, joy), I ask why am I feeling it. Then ask the question to the answer that pops up and on and on (e.g. i felt angry. Why ? because he said something . Then ask why did that make you angry ... and so on.. then at the end ask who am I.. is it me who is getting angry, sad, happy or am I different from it).
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Nyardream,

I participate in the method of Self Inquiry expounded by RM. There are books written by followers that expand on what he said. The instruction to ask continually "Who am I" was one of his questions/instructions, but he had others. The simple question "Who Am I" did not resonate in my practice initially. Other questions RM proposed to ask in Self Inquiry resonated more with in my Self Inquiry practice. Some of those are:

What am I?
From where is this thought arising? (This question in particular - and really looking, really seeing from where the thought is arising - was key in my process of awakening to what I am)
To whom do the thoughts come?
Where do they go? (This question in particular was also key in my process of awakening to the real)
Where does the mind merge?

The practice that first showed me without a doubt what I am/who I am was Yogani's samyama practice, including cosmic samyama. Once unbounded awareness/inner silence was established, even just in the "background," RM's practice of Self Inquiry became more relevant.

Now the question "Who am I" resonates because the "answer" is clear. Prior to that, it was more of a circular question that kept spinning in the thought realm itself.

Namaste

Edited by - Zanyan on Oct 07 2014 1:56:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nyardream

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  1:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarifications.

Zanyan: Thanks, I'm going to explore these other self-inquiry questions.
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nyardream

You might be interested in reading something like "The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi" or even "Living With the Master: Reminiscences by Kumjuswami" both of which give a broader picture of RMs teachings. The first focuses on all of RMs written work, and the second is a collection of sweet daily life stories told by a devotee who had lived with and served RM for many many years. Both of these works dispel the myth told in the West that RM only taught to ask "Who Am I" and to dive into That. Don't get me wrong, he did say that , but his teachings were specific to each student - and to the level of their current development of awareness - and to their particular temperament. To some, he recommended more bhakti focused practices, to others he recommended more jnana focused practices, to some he recommended more karma yoga practices, depending upon temperament and other factors.

Yogani's books on Self Inquiry and Samyama could also be very very helpful to you at this stage. Yogani tells the truth (of course! ) when he says that it is important to have clear rising inner silence on a regular basis before engaging in Self Inquiry. This information was also key for my personal practice, and was a crucial but theretofore missing piece of information. I had engaged in Self Inquiry for literally *decades* before I learned this right here on aypsite from reading Yogani's lessons and books. Established inner silence makes all the difference.

Once inner silence is established, Self Inquiry is fruitful. (I give this information not just for you, Nyardream, but for any who might read this thread. For myself, reading what has really "worked" for other regular people like me was and continues to be encouraging and helpful) DM -->(pranayama and other practices if they are helpful) --> Samyama --> rising inner silence--> self inquiry --> unbounded awareness -->DM-->, etc.

In Peace

Edited by - Zanyan on Oct 08 2014 3:49:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000