Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Moderate conduct when self pacing.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2014 :  11:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Just reading Yogani's lesson on 'less is more' (411) and wanted clarification.

quote:
Later on, when we have experienced an awakening of ecstatic conductivity (kundalini), we will find a self-sustaining momentum becoming active in our nervous system. While we continue to benefit greatly from daily practices, we may find that it will not take as much practice time or intensity to sustain the same degree of ongoing purification and opening as in the past. We have called this the "fly-wheel" effect, where our inner spiritual momentum has become largely self-sustaining. This does not mean we are done with practices, only that we may find ourselves to be more on the "razors edge" for sustaining good progress with comfort. This is when skill in self-pacing becomes more delicate, with the demonstration of "less being more" becoming very clear to us in daily living. When we slip in overdoing practices, or in our conduct, we find out right away. So moderation becomes the watchword in all things for the advanced yogi/yogini.

I feel I have very much come to this place, were my practices require a lot of skill to manage comfortably and at times (most of the time atm) where just everyday life is enough.

Yogani here mentions that a slip in managing our practices will become noticeable right away (I can definately notice this), but also that our conduct will require moderation. I'm just wondering if this applies to moral conduct. Is acting according to the Yamas, Niyamas beneficial for overload. Also what other aspects of conduct might one find helpful in moderating.

Many thanks
Narayana

Edited by - jamuna on Sep 30 2014 12:07:02 AM

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  4:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Narayana:

Certainly as inner silence/witness becomes more present in our life, we will become more sensitive to yama and niyama, because it becomes painful to do otherwise as we find ourself to be more present in everything and everyone around us. The rise of inner silence can also be viewed as the rise of conscience -- a more traditional way of putting it. It is also why the scriptures advise to "Do unto others as we would do to ourselves." Indeed, over time of practices we come to perceive directly that others are ourself.

How this might relate to energy overload is not so easy to point out. The discomfort of rising unity described above may not be exactly the same as an energy overload caused by overdoing practices in relation the matrix of obstructions being dissolved within us. Discomfort related to conduct could be viewed as a kind of overdoing, I suppose, taking too many liberties with our surroundings than is consistent with our expanding awareness. We will feel the discomfort of it right away, and adjust our conduct accordingly. But is that overload? Maybe an overload of bad conduct, and we will have to adjust.

Energetic (kundalini) overload is less of an immediate cause and effect in that practices can have delayed effects and we should be self-pacing in advance, i.e., not practicing to excesses that are likely to lead to difficulties later. If energy overload does arise, we self-pace practices, ground in daily activity, etc. Clearly our conduct (yama/niyama) will be mixed up in there also, but it would not be a primary cause in an energy overload situation, unless we stubbornly refused to make adjustments in conduct.

For clarity, perhaps it is best to view it as two things going on. Overloads from overdoing practices, and discomfort from rising awareness/unity in relation to our conduct/lifestyle. There are adjustments necessary in both of these, but not necessarily the same adjustment for the same reasons. We learn to pace our practices for good reasons, and we learn to adjust our conduct for good reasons.

It should also be pointed out that trying to lead with yama and niyama (good conduct) as a mental exercise, while admirable, is not necessarily going to do much for either our rising awareness or any energy overload we may be experiencing. Moving into yama and niyama as "stillness in action" is something else entirely, and we know it when we see it.

Of course, the religions and the law dictate that we follow yama and niyama, and that may well hold the line on chaos in human society. But ultimately we have to go beyond dictates on human behavior (our own or the institutions) to find the real source of yama and niyama -- abiding inner silence. And we also have to pace ourselves throughout the purification, opening and dramatic spiritual transformation that comes along with that transcendence leading to unity.

Good things are happening. All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  02:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for taking the time to clarify Yogani. That about clears things up for me

Much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000