AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Spiritual diet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  6:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What works for you?

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 03 2007 01:00:21 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,
This was discussed here.. Maybe you'd like to check it out
What is your daily food plan?
I am sure others will give you great replies too.. me.. ummm.. rather not discuss my diet.. not very spiritual..
-Shweta

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 25 2006 9:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  8:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I am sure others will give you great replies too.. me.. ummm.. rather not discuss my diet.. not very spiritual.."

Well, thank goodness I'm not alone.

I'm at a turning point, basically from growing up eating everything without much thought, well not everything, I'm so picky.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Phew!!! that's a relief...
At least I am not alone.. I dont like junk food any more.. prefer lighter foods.. but no where close to the spiritual diet followed by the others in that thread...

PS: Sorry..The above link did not work.. I fixed it now..

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 25 2006 9:13:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

bipinjoshi

India
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  04:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit bipinjoshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it is fruiterian diet consisting of fruits, cow milk and ghee (home made). But of course everybody has own flavor and body constitution. I wrote about it on my blog some time back if you are interested you may read it at http://www.bipinjoshi.com/displayth...threadid=237
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  2:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been getting off the standard American diet starting in May. Recently, I got my wife to read 'The China Study' and it worked so far... we are all becoming vegans. I'm 70% fruit, 30% rice, beans, salad dressing. Taking b12s as insurance. Doing a fruit fast right now.

The China Study, written by an actual diet research scientist, makes the point that reducing the fat and protein in one's diet will increase blood circulation in short order. Conversely, a study was just published that just a peice of carrot cake and a milkshake can measurably reduce blood circulation due to build up of plaque.

The Chinese believe that blood flow and chi flow are closely related and I believe that cleaning up the diet is beneficial to both health and practice.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  2:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the study I mentioned:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/b/a/257648.htm
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  01:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shweta,

I wouldn't mull over diets overmuch... after I began Yoga, I developed a sudden craving for chocolates (plus delicious the way the French pronounce it...mmmmm)
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  04:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No meat, no fish, no chicken.
Basically no food that was acquired through the suffering of other sentient beings.

"How can a bhikshu, who hopes to become a deliverer of others, himself be living on the flesh of other sentient beings?"
http://www.anzwers.org/free/purelan...etarism.html

I believe Buddha Shakyamuni said that the Holy Ones eat once a day, human beings eat twice a day, animals eat three times a day and the hungry spirits eat four times a day (this concerns the next rebirth..). I'm down to two times a day now, sometimes I manage to eat only once, but it is hard for I have not yet beaten the desire and my body isn't efficient and purified enough.

Edited by - Chiron on Aug 27 2006 06:56:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I become a vegetarian for the same reason. But eating plants have started bothering me as well as I hear that Plants have feeling as well and have a soul too (just like us). Does Plants really have souls ?. Pls share your thoughts.

Edited by - sushman on Aug 27 2006 8:34:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  12:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Trees do I think. I have read a Djataka where it talked about the soul of a tree, and how it would feel pain when it was cut down..

But I think we should find balance in everything. If we stop eating meat and plants, what is left? As long as we are in human form, some sin is unavoidable.. hopefully in the end the righteous deeds we do far outweigh any faults.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I make homemade rye brioche into french toast with free range eggs, bourbon vanilla extract, organic milk, raw sugar cane from malawi and locally produced maple syrup. Yummmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Great subject that we talked about in the past... I have little to offer here, but thought to contribute a few items for your consideration.
Food as we have discussed is more then the nutrients we take in our body. Some call food ‘ahara’ which means what is brought near. So, food fits the bill for sure, as does reading, friends and social gatherings, TV, etc etc. all come near to us. So, one may want to consider all intake for ones health.

From an ayurvedic perspective ( ayur is life or longevity and ved is knowledge) there are a few things I have read that are simple (some from Deepak Chopra) that I liked and that I can be better at myself:
- Use food to fill the emptiness in your stomach, not in your heart.
- If the meal is not delicious ( for you) it may not be nourishing. That is , the senses are intelligent and can coach you to what you may need for nutrition. A main principle of Ayur-ved ‘ food is medicine, medicine is food’
- Consider the six tastes and have variety to your meals . There’s sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent. These associate with influences within your body. If you have the opportunity to find out your constitution (Pitta, Kapha, Vatta), it would be good. Then choosing the tastes to bring balance to ones body becomes a bit easier. [ I am Pitta/Vatta]
site: http://www.dhanvantri.com/Consultation.htm
- Herbs and spices can add to the diversity of your taste intake – in the USA we think that only salt and pepper as herbs and spices. There’s a full range as you folks know ( fennel, turmeric, ginger, dill, anise, clove, cumin, cassia buds, etc to name a few)
- Eat,-rest- eat to get to the ‘satisfied’ level – find your satisfaction level and avoid over-stuffing. This has been hard for me, as I grew up in an Italian family and if you did not (over) eat, the chief ( mom) took it as the food was not good!
- Favor ‘simple’ and in season
- Last so I do not bore you, is from the Upanishads – they say ‘food is Brahman, Brahman is food’ to suggest, respect for the food and an offering to Him.

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Sep 03 2006 11:09:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  01:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000