Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Siddhasana question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  11:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

over the years, I've tried several times to build siddhasan into my routine, but it doesn't seem to work out for me. I read through the lessons and keep asking myself, if siddhasana is something that should be definitely incorporated into an advance routine, as it seems to me from reading the lessons. I'm now way into amaroli - nauli - mula - uddiana - kechari 3 - shambavi + enhanced mantra and samyama and cosmic samyama and everything runs smoothly and to my best satisfaction. I think I've got plenty of kundalini going on in an around my body and during the late weeks and months cosmic samyma became at times really whole-body-orgasmic.

But I never managed to do siddhasana in a way that would make real sense to me. I meditate cross-legged on a meditation cushion, as that's by far the most comfortable position for me and I feel it especially works well together with pranayama and the internal bodily maneuvers. I tried many times to put something under my bum, various sizes etc., but I just feels uncomfortable and it's really rather a turn-off sexually. Definitely not all ecstasy and pleasure etc., as it is supposed to be according to the lessons. It says "it should feel good" in the lessons. And it doesn't in my case. I actually find it more sexually stimulating when I take my genitals into my hand for a minute just before I start the pranayama and put the othe hand onto my heart. Also, it feels good when I lift my bum slightly on the cushion by contracting the gluteus muscles. But having any pressure on the perineum doesn't feel that great.

Well and I'm again now asking myself if it is ok not to use siddhasana and go for further practices like especially yoni mudra kumbhaka and then perhaps the chin pump, when in the lessons it's repeatedly stated that these follow siddhasana.

What do you think? Anyone using cushion knowing what I mean?

Oh, yea, and the cushion itself seems to put a little pressure on the perineum. You know what I mean? When one sits on the cushion (or when I do) a good part of the weight of my body rests on the perineum really. Maybe it's comparable to siddhasana..?

Your input appreciated!

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  1:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The point of siddahasana is to stimulate the perineum and give a boost to prana movement. Siddahasana was never completely comfortable for me (I sit astride a bolster as if on a saddle and use a small bean bag at my root). It sounds as if DM is progressing nicely with your alternative so I would continue on without it. Your Guru has told you as much!
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  03:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Dogboy,

it sounds that somehow you like siddhasana, even if it's not completely comfortable. Well, then maybe it's not the right practice for me now, because I feel awkward about it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Oh, yea, and the cushion itself seems to put a little pressure on the perineum. You know what I mean? When one sits on the cushion (or when I do) a good part of the weight of my body rests on the perineum really. Maybe it's comparable to siddhasana..?

I'd say yes, for your body this is comparable to siddahasana and works for you. I can sit in siddahasana for about ten minutes before discomfort in either my knees or back, which is why I chose to modify. And yes, I very much like the "assist" at my perineum!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  05:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Guys
Mimirom, I think you are right not to practice siddhasana if it doesn't feel right.

I have read Vol. 1 of Advanced Yoga Practices several times and my understanding of Yogani's method is this: the only prerequisite in terms of yoga methods is meditation. You have to have that before building any other techniques into your practice. All the other methods are for stimulating the flow of prana. Yogani has put them in this order on the basis of how powerful they are - the gentler ones towards the beginning, the ones with more dramatic effects towards the end (SBP is somewhat of an exception, as it has a strong balancing effect on the energy, not just stimulating it) Somebody more advanced please correct me I'm wrong.

What I would do if I were in your shoes would be to give siddhasana a try every now and then just to see if things change. Or, as you mentioned in your first post, try a very, very gradual build up with the cushion. In response to your cushion question, I think it very much depends on the shape and size of the cushion. If it is shaped so that some of your weight that normally rests on your bum and thighs is transferred to the perineum by the bulk of the cushion, then yes, that will be a gentle siddhasana effect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000