Journal of a Disgruntled Mystic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  07:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When progressing we will be able to be in the present moment more and more. The difference between pain and suffering will be revealed then by own experience.

Like you noticed, some music brings you to old pain....writing at the same moment can bring you to the seed of the suffering.

For me this worked as a powerful self-inquire guru

Edited by - Charliedog on Nov 05 2015 08:51:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  11:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Yeah, and back to work you duduk ninja!

[Gut-busting laughter] That is precisely what I needed. Hehehe...thank you, Dogboy.

quote:
Originally posted by CharliedogLike you noticed, some music brings you to old pain....writing at the same moment can bring you to the seed of the suffering.

Beautifully said. Writing can be an instantaneous catharsis. Ah, the power of the pen and letting go into stillness.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  02:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Soft darkness, I say hello to you, and greet you once again in omnipresent silence. Where have you been hiding? Has the glaring and blinding light chased you away?

Come back for a moment, or many moments, in accordance with our fanciful plans and intricate designs, which we have laid out upon our gushing and boundless heart-field.

Oh, heart-field, full of emptiness. Oh emptiness, full of infinite potential. Why do we even bother when we know we have already lived ten thousand times in ten thousand universes in ten thousand multi-forms underneath sparkling, sparkling, sparkling constellations?

Must be the boredom, and the zest for entertainment.

And we work so hard—diligently, feverishly, sheepishly, unknowingly. Searching for that line of perpetuity and continuity, that line that the spider weaves from branch to branch, barely strong enough to hold a raindrop, and so delicate that the reckless swipe of a hand could brush away the spindles of its silky structure. Seemingly cruel, yet mercifully regenerative and undying.

There is no cruelty in the face of eternal chances.

A ladybug landed on the fuzzy hair of my left forearm as I reclined poolside, staring into the broad and protective canopy of a grove of oak trees above and around us. She didn't stay long, but it was long enough to make me believe in luck. She fluttered quickly towards the water and made parabolas with her trajectory. She whispered to me (via the unspoken sound of her micro-wings) that I need not worry, nor hurry, nor conspire to doubt the divine plan of paradise.

And I concluded: there will never, ever be any better way to speak profound truth than through the wings of those who take flight: ladybugs, ballet dancers, helicopter pilots, spring-loaded leg-runners, and mystical men uttering quiet code words to invoke superpowers for their ladies.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  04:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  1:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So true Bodhi Tree, I'm running out of excuses in the face of this cruel world and its eternal chances!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  6:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

So true Bodhi Tree, I'm running out of excuses in the face of this cruel world and its eternal chances!

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  7:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I listen to the voices of my co-workers sitting close by. They speak on the phone, asking a formatted set of questions in order to gather medical information. On the other end of the phone are nurses, reporting deaths or patients in critical condition. There is a palpable rhythm to the flow of incoming calls. Like everything in life, the exchanges come in waves, in cycles, in repetitive signatures.

Even though many of the words are the same, there is an ongoing fluctuation in tone, on both ends of the line. There are swings in mood and emotion, and we all affect each other, without exception. Most of the time the conversations are very smooth, friendly, even blissful and euphoric. Sometimes there is a hurriedness, or exacerbated tension, causing friction and fuzz, but that is not the norm.

There is a sensuality in the voices. The sutra of inner sensuality is alive and well here. Nurses resonate with tenderness. But again, there is more to the auditory palette than warmth and compassion. There can be a brisk professionalism layered on top of the congeniality. We need to be quick, so vowels and consonants get less stretched, and pronounced more crisply, even curtly.

The Southern drawl of the Georgia contingency never gets old to me. The accent is music to my ears. If I had the talent, and the refined touch, I would write about the nuances and uniqueness of the Georgia accent, especially when spoken by women. To describe the intricacies of their cadence and twang would require a high level of skill. If the honey of a queen bee could be transfigured into the vocal chords and vibrations of a human voice, it would surely take shape under the guise of Georgia female.

Last night I massaged my male, gay roommate for a long time. He is a massage therapist by trade, so he was giving me tips as I went along. He complimented me highly and said I had a natural gift. He told me he was seeing lots of colors and shapes in his third eye. I was also watching the space glisten with aliveness. Very clear and luminescent scenery. Stillness glowing. (We meditate together often.)

I am looking into massage school. It doesn't take that long to complete. I will probably do it if I can afford it. Just another tool to add to the belt of ecstatic bliss generation and activation.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  8:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am looking into massage school. It doesn't take that long to complete. I will probably do it if I can afford it. Just another tool to add to the belt of ecstatic bliss generation and activation.

your future wife thanks you
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  9:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LMAO. I like your style, Dogboy. Thank you for the optimism.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  04:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Last night I massaged my male, gay roommate for a long time. He is a massage therapist by trade, so he was giving me tips as I went along. He complimented me highly and said I had a natural gift. He told me he was seeing lots of colors and shapes in his third eye. I was also watching the space glisten with aliveness. Very clear and luminescent scenery. Stillness glowing. (We meditate together often.)

Great tool for yourself and the receiver! If possible, go for it.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  10:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
your future wife thanks you

Second this.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  10:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charlie-D
sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  02:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was laying in bed on the edge of sleep when my mind suddenly began to contemplate the different words used to describe positions in space. There are four common terms that came to mind:

1) anywhere
2) somewhere
3) nowhere
4) everywhere

"Anywhere" is an interesting parameter, because it has limitless possibilities, yet the word is still pointing to a specific place that is, as of yet, unknown. For instance, if you lost your wallet, and your friend asked you where you thought it could be, you might respond: "Well, it could be ANYWHERE. I'm not sure." Then your friend might retort: "Don't be ridiculous. It must be SOMEWHERE in the near vicinity." So, "somewhere" also has infinite potential, but there is more of a fixed point and proximity in the denotation and connotation of the adverbial pronoun.

But...you could easily counter your friend's maneuver by saying: "True, it must be somewhere, but it's probably NOWHERE that I can remember." With this fatal blow, you would shrink the previously infinite field of potential to absolute zero. Nowhere does not leave any room for anywhere or somewhere. Nowhere is a negation and annihilation of all reference points.

Lo and behold, you would not be guaranteed victory though. Why? Because your friend would finally say: "Well, I guess we'll have to search EVERYWHERE until we find it." Boom! The negational effect of nowhere is flipped and reversed by the omniscient scope of everywhere, which encompasses all options, without needing to fixate on a singular outcome, real or imagined. Everywhere reigns supreme in the ontological spectrum of Whereness.

So, in AYP terms, if anyone asks you where stillness resides, you can confidently report: "Oh, stillness?...stillness resides anywhere, somewhere, nowhere, and everywhere at anytime, sometime, no time, and everytime." And that would be absolutely correct!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  10:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At the same time nowhere else then in the herenow......

Edited by - Charliedog on Nov 30 2015 10:57:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HERENOW!
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  4:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also contemplated this when gazing at a star. I was thinking about how far away it is, many light years off, and then it struck me that there is in fact NOTHING between me and the star, no objects, nothing. So it's so far away but there is actually nothing between us? Then I realized the star wasn't really over there, far away; it was actually right here, with me.

Over there must imply "from this perspective", whereas here doesn't depend on any perspective!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely stargazing! Thank you for deepening the inquiry, Joseph! Here's to cosmic consciousness. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  12:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Plunging the needle of consciousness into the vein of the past, I extract memories from my mind. The blood is thicker than water. The plasma and platelets are loaded with signature moments that string together the never-ending moment of now. There is a little voice saying: "Ease up on the profundity. We're getting clotted in here."

Was it only yesterday that I was walking barefoot on the grass by the river? How many yesterdays ago was I half my size and scrambling up to the top of some high peak? The gap between is comprised of spinning suns and planets, revolving days and years, and cycles of possibly undetermined, unfolding futures.

Yes, right on the edge of silence. That's where it happened. Just more of this stream-of-consciousness nonsense—fabricated, synthesized, undulated, catapulted, bivouacked—still abiding by the rules of punctuation but stirring up heels like a racehorse in a stall, barricaded by the locked gate of some master placing big bets on a naked performance in front of feverish crowds.

There you are, Memory, rolled up like a tattered carpet that has absorbed the miniature bike wheels of toddlers zooming across short distances that nevertheless seem to them like marathons of effort and achievement.
There you are, never being fully blocked, denied, repressed, erased. Re-surfacing and resurrecting when called upon, and even when not called upon (wink wink).
There you are, dictating truth like the keys of an out-of-date typewriter thumping and stamping its letters on linen paper of the highest bond, where deleting and backspacing were not so convenient, and the words had to be carefully placed and constructed.
There you are, pushing me forward with nothing but absolute authenticity, in spite of my plot to create revisionist history.
There you are, non-negotiable, certain as certain can be, untouched by the same hands that crafted you.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And yet time and time again you easily favor the mantra. In this moment............................................................
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2015 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, simplicity is the key.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2015 :  03:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
There you are, Memory, rolled up like a tattered carpet that has absorbed the miniature bike wheels of toddlers zooming across short distances that nevertheless seem to them like marathons of effort and achievement.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2015 :  10:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Settling down, after a full week of work, I rest my head on the cushioned arm of the living room couch and let my mind wander. Here is a present-tense monologue that rolls onto the digital keys of the smartphone, with each letter vibrating in micro-seconds as the fingers tap on the tempered glass interface. How fortunate it is that I can write in a supine position, looking upward to the celing, with no need to maintain a professonial decorum or proper posture, unless I feel compelled to do so by my own inner management.

I am not under any supervision, nor pressured by any particular pace or timeclock. I can go as fast or slow as I please. The spaciousness of this autonomy stretches out its muscles delightfully. Ah, the spine, the feet, the calves, the glowing and luminous skull on top of my shoulders. The propensity and permission to scratch and itch wherever is needed. The liberty to self-massage and rub the constrictions in stressful spots. The holographic vision of my inner matrix that displays itself on the movie screen of my awareness.

Inner and outer are blending; expansion and contraction are centering; creation and revision are reconciling.

The silence draws me in. Just as I write the previous sentence and pause in natural reflection, my roomate walks out into the living room and asks if I want to meditate. Of course I oblige.

[Approximately 9 hours later]

Now I have slept, and this time I am still lying down and typing with that lazy ease, on my back and enjoying the belly breathing and corresponding swell of thought streams. Recalling my dreams from last night, I see they are like epic movies with adventurous plots and crisis situations.

Per the insistence of a good friend, I am reading "Awake in the Heartland" by Joan Tollifson. It's an interesting read. Her writing style fluctuates between long discourses of Zen/Advaita/non-duality logic and journalistic descriptions of her personal life and emotional condition. She is pretty transparent and skilled with relaying authentic details when she is not circling around with the Advaita algorithms. She also has spent a considerable amount of time with various teachers and gurus, so it is illuminating to see how she characterizes their differences.

She has dabbled in different meditation styles and also writes about going through bouts of addiction. Though she has made definite progress, what she lacks is persistence and consistency, as well as a forward-thinking momentum towards a clear chosen ideal. This is typical of Advaita students. They shun any kind of modality which would look far into the future, and they suffer for it. What they fail to realize is that the Here Now actually contains the future, and that there is nothing wrong with gazing idealistically towards a distant horizon. Yes, it can be a distraction from the present moment, but when practiced proportionally, such vision will actually enhance the present moment. We have to chart a course and dream of Paradise. Otherwise, our perception is static and too detached.

Now I stop writing and do my daily meditation, after critiquing the poor dabbler. But I love her and root for her. Guaranteed.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  5:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was strumming my guitar in a park on the shore of Tampa Bay, and a wedding ceremony was taking place in a nearby gazebo, with only a handful in attendance. The dress of the bride was all white and fluffy, and it looked good against the backdrop of the clear, blue sky. The air is crisper than it has been for months. The thick humidity has abated a little. Global warming has not completely nullified winter in Florida yet.

Before going to the park, I saw the new Star Wars. I guess it has lost its luster for me. I appreciate the mythology, but the hyper-stimulation and battle scenes have too much friction. I want subtlety, character development, more finesse. I enjoy martial arts, but the militaristic violence is harsh and boring. Isn't there a way to portray cosmic scenarios without war, or good vs. evil? How about an intergalactic dance show with multiple planetary orchestras chiming in? There's plenty of stimulation for the senses in music and movement.

I think the rise of stillness abnegates the desire to see anyone killed. There's too much perception of Self in play to get a kick out of destroying an enemy, at least violently. But, I would surely like to recycle and reform plenty of characters into something better, but the carnal murder is not so appealing.

It's that hybrid of calmness and excitement. The adventure can't be ruled out completely. There needs to be a balance of serenity and ecstasy. Blah blah blah.

Now I'm at my office working overtime. I wear sunglasses to cut the glare of the florescent lights. I answer phone calls, study Whitman, make jokes with the ladies, and watch my mind spin tales about countless things.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  8:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Now I'm at my office working overtime. I wear sunglasses to cut the glare of the florescent lights. I answer phone calls, study Whitman, make jokes with the ladies, and watch my mind spin tales about countless things.

Who says yogis can't get overtime pay? You're living proof my friend
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  9:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Easy money.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000