Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Killing weeds and karma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vivekv

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Guys,

yesterday , I sprayed a weed killer to get rid of all the weeds in my lawn and I was really pained that all of them were going to die. It was almost like they were talking to me asking that i was going to kill them. But the weed problem is so bad in my lawn it looks awful to disgusting. I don't know I am confused - In my DM i saw a crumb of crab grass maybe its my imagination or its my mind hallucinating. I don't know isn't cleaning out bugs and weeds part of being nice and clean and human, but they do have life and things like this are bothering me. Any comments ?

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's a good metaphor. Plucking weeds from the garden. Yogani says the purpose of Deep Meditation is to purify and open the nervous system, so that is like an irrigation of the mind, so that silence can take root, instead of the obstructions that constrict the flow.

I often contemplate: why do we have all these imperfections, or chaotic beginnings? It must be so we can experience the process of refinement. To know what it's like to start from scratch and become a polished product. Maybe. I don't know. I can't seem to squash the desire for betterment. Better interior condition, better exterior condition. Better whole.

Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you perceive weeds as ugly? My garden is full of weeds. In fact my garden has only weeds and wild flowers and I think they are lovely.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Vivekv

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhitree thank you for the metaphorical connection. I was more worried about the karmic response to killing the weeds themselves which have life in them.

SeySorciere - Yeah that's a good take on it. but unfortunately you would have neighbors, guests and your life partner and their perception is what bothers me.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  3:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're serious about feeling bad about killing them I would suggest:

1. Do your best to keep your yard weed free and maintain it
2. Before you remove weeds, praise them for their tenacity, ask for their forgiveness and pray they do not suffer.
3. Remove them by hand, rather than poisoning them, which prolongs suffering and introduces toxins in the ecosystem.
4. Return them to the earth as compost. In that manner they may be reborn.

Striving to do no harm is noble and should be practiced whenever possible. When it is not, the way you acknowledge and approach the task, and the intention in your heart, should be your guide.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Dogboy's elaborate and ingenious strategy. Very thorough.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  01:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes, I have those as well but whenever they say -Look at all those weeds in your garden. I go: Yeah, ain't they lovely? And I mean it. But I also have others who say - I love your garden, it's so wild.
When you have no gardening skills and no interest in acquiring any, it is best to develop a love of weeds and dry leaves.
Include ants and lizards and other lovely bugs.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  10:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
once upon a time i waged the great dandelion wars

year1 -- weed and feed... but they came back!
year2 -- pulled each weed one by one... but they came back!

i had dreams of travelling down fractal tunnels lined by dandelions, lol

year3 -- planted clover seed all over the lawn
year4 -- the clover and dandelions found a natural balance
Go to Top of Page

Vivekv

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2014 :  11:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dogboy , i love your approach . I believe it will help me the best. Thanks all for your support!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000