Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 A new man to yoga - food advice.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Downward-dog

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  4:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste,

I am a year old male, and I am quite new to yoga. I have rheumatism so it's very hard sometimes to do some asana's but I can get around!

But the real thing is now I am doing yoga the asana's I want to dive further. Sri Drhama Mittra I bought his dvd and he really convinced me to start living a bitter life taking the Yamas and Niyamas in mind. To cleanse my body, he holds the view that you should not eat animals becuase he sees that as violence.

Now he seems to drink a lot of juice and fruits. I am not in a position where I can make fresh juice everyday, but I sure can blend stuff. I myself am looking for advice on what I could possible do. I want to live more healthy and I want to eat less meat or maybe no meat at all anymore. But I know my parents that still cook might be dissapointed as it will be a bother if I quit eating meat.

On the other hand I also need to get a substitute. I hope you people can help me with some good resources. That are not to expensive. Thanks!

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  4:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I read somewhere not long ago that the intestinal flora might be somehow connected with rheumatism. This article (http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals....11/1039.full) says that as well if I read it correctly, and it also states that vegeterian diet could be beneficial in that regard.
On that account maybe you could try out kefir (home grown), but keep in mind I am just a lay person.
If you will be lacto-vegeterian, I do not think you need substitutes. And if you eat eggs, you are surely without problems. Generally try to eat healthy food(not overly processed) and diverse. Legumes are foods you want to get to know better.
If you think vegan, somebody else will have to fill you in. I read that Kombucha can give you the B12, that is not expensive. But others will know better, I am sure.
Can't help you with your parents, mine are still not used to me being a vegeterian after 4 years. In my country vegeterians are still black sheep. My diet hasn't changed at all, I just leave out the meat. And we make our own bread. Works well for me, but I have been eating 'healthy' before.

Hope this help somewhat,
Mykal
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Eat fresh vegetables in abundance. Organic if possible.Fresh water. Avoid sugar and carbohydrates,(grains etc). Limit fruits(substitute with vegetables)to avoid sugar. Regular exercise.Avoid artificial sweeteners.
L&L Dave
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll second lots of water and avoid processed foods
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000