Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Discussion of Bhavas/Rasas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AviC

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  11:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit AviC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'm new to the board, but I've really enjoyed the lessons and some of the e-books. My practices has a strong component of Bhakti Yoga in it. I'm especially inspired by the teachings of Ramakrishna.

I wanted to share a blog post I wrote about the 5 bhava's or transcendental moods. These are also called rasas (relationships) because they relationships between the human the divine that are metaphorically based on human relationships.

Here is the post: http://mysticalbeloved.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/5-flavours-of-divine-love/

I'd love to hear from anybody on this board about your experiences with the bhavas. For me, they have been a very special and energetically intense part of my yoga practice. When I break through into a powerful mood, it is like turbo charging my kundalini, sometimes a little too much, but overall it's great.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1534 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  02:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear AviC,

Thank you so much for sharing this, I can see how I have personally evolved through some of these bhavas (the first ones obviously ) and how like you mention one can alternate between these moods and relationships. I will be attending a spiritual evening this weekend and was wondering what to talk about - Our relationship with God is a very good topic. Is it okay if I borrow from your writing to help put the framework in place?

Many thanks

Sey
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - May 28 2014 :  03:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello AviC,

Welcome to the board and thank you for sharing your blog! Your writing style is very clear and comes at just the right time for me :) I'm sure others will also find your posts interesting and refreshing.

You ask specifically about our experiences with the bhavas. I'm currently offering myself more and more as God's servant, offering my mind, heart, body and soul to His service, but have also had tastes of the others either through action, thought, or experience. For example, I remember reading of a certain saint's relationship with God, and how she described whispering thoughts to God as one would to someone who was very close, for example a lover. Such whispers, I find, truly fill the heart with His presence.

Sometimes I have had the thought or feeling of God as a child, not really knowing what He is doing, that it is only through human manifestation that He can come to understand Himself, and that we are an ontological necessity. As such, God doesn't decide to create the Universe or Himself, It is simply all that can be, the accidental necessary experiencer with no beginning or end. This is usually a thought-game, that entertains the mind, but also awakens the heart in moments of clarity.

And sex with God I have experienced in meditation, sometimes with tastes outside. I have never experienced such arousal and pleasure externally. For me, it has been accompanied with a full-physical arousal, heart beating hard and fast; it has been difficult to remain with calm mind, which has often shortened the experience.

Can you recommend any books on the subject? Something that doesn't just describe experiences, but describes daily practises of devotion?

Thanks for sharing your blog posts. I look forward to reading more of them in the future :)
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 29 2014 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Avic,

I enjoyed your post and lovely description of all the bhavas. I'm drawn towards bhakti as well- chanting mantras and listening to kirtans are part of my daily life.

Krishna Das is my favorite- I get goose bumps and tear up listening to him (somedays I’m sobbing), my heart is filled with so much love and gratitude. I get lost in the kirtan. So much so, I try not listening to his kirtans around other people.

I try to see "God" in all people and situations. Taking a back seat and surrendering and trusting God have always helped. I offer my daily duties as a service to God.

Thank You for sharing your beautiful post.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

AviC

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 30 2014 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit AviC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I will be attending a spiritual evening this weekend and was wondering what to talk about - Our relationship with God is a very good topic. Is it okay if I borrow from your writing to help put the framework in place?

Yes, you are certainly free to use my writing for your spiritual evening. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Avi

Go to Top of Page

AviC

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 30 2014 :  12:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AviC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Compassion,

Thank you for sharing you experiences.

quote:
Originally posted by compassion

Can you recommend any books on the subject? Something that doesn't just describe experiences, but describes daily practises of devotion?

Actually, I've found it very hard to find concrete instructions in this area. There is a book by Swami Adiswarananda of the Ramakrishna order called The Four Yogas, which has some practical instruction, but it's not too detailed. You could also look at the book Sri Ramakrishna and His Divine Play which describes Ramakrishna's own bhakti sadhana in detail. It's pretty wild stuff. For example, when Ramakrishna was practicing Madhurya Bhava in the mood of Radhe, he dressed and acted as a woman for 6 months! Of course, one story in the book indicates that he may have already had some transgender leanings from an early age. This raises the question of how bhakti practice might be different today. For example, perhaps men no longer have to pretend to be women to worship a male God as lovers since we no longer reject homosexual desire. On the other hand, a straight male devotee might find it easier to cultivate Madhurya Bhava with a female deity, something that also seems to have been taboo in traditional India.

All that is just to say, that in terms of specific instruction around bhakti practice, I'd say to read the traditional bhakti literature for inspiration, but then adapt the practices to make them relevant for you and for our cultural sensibilities. Ramakrishna emphasizes that all the various bhakti practices are just so many ways to increase the feeling of love for the divine. So really, I think it's a question of what works for the individual devotee.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 31 2014 :  11:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear AviC,

Love your blog post! Great description and analysis of the bhavas.

I especially enjoyed your discussion of madhurya bhava, where I live. And you are right, there is a lot of resistance to, or even criticism of, the fullness of this bhava on the part of nearly all mainstream schools, who do their best to water it down. I believe this resistance is due to the insidious influence of gnostic dualism, "spirit is good, matter is bad" which has managed to corrupt spiritual traditions of both East and West, as well as perhaps, as you mentioned, the later British Victorian influence. The premise is that sex is inherently un-spiritual or even anti-spiritual, therefore the whole idea of a relationship with God as Lover is completely out of the question. So, for example, they will insist that Krishna absolutely could NOT have had sex with the gopis! And for us modern bhaktas, they say, don't even think about it! I find this human attempt to limit God's behavior and make Him/Her conform to our human inhibitions quite amusing.

I was on a religious discussion board once where a woman had asked re: madhurya bhava, "Is it acceptable to feel sexual love for Krishna?" and the answer was a horrified and resounding, "Absolutely not!" To which I responded, "Just try and stop us." When we hear the flute we run out into the forest. That's just what we do, like moths to a flame. Impossible to resist, infinite ecstasy of self-oblation. Who cares what anybody thinks!

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful blog with us. I think you will feel right at home here at AYP.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000