New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 08 2014 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Per my request and others whom have read the many things Riju has written and Jeff has helped clarify, this thread has been created. Both of these gentlemen write from experiential wisdom not just bookish pursuits so this is a rare opportunity for others to learn from ones such as they.

I have always had an innate love for the Buddha and the overall general concept of Buddhism it just feels right.

Due to the complexity and a self admitted lack of ripeness to understand all of what is written in the various Sutras this one has not been able to venture far into these waters.

Methinks I am not alone here.

It is my sincere hope that both Riju and Jeff will now take up this discourse not only between themselves but with others who find interest in this thread and discuss from beginning to their current advanced level of understandings the concepts of not only Buddhism but the techniques of sadhana and path from the stand point of a person of perhaps let us say the Stream - enterer

reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_s...nlightenment

and do so in a practical manner that would allow a novice or even more understanding person to enter into the path of Buddha achievement and work it out for themselves along the way.

To clarify the beginning means someone who has heard of Buddha has read some things about his noble truths, read some more things about historical accounts of his life but really want to understand more than just the superficial things.

For example it is well known that buddhist monks travel about and they do not eat but 1 meal per day etc... but what in the world do they do with all of this down time? from the perspective of the householder this is very mystical indeed.

Sorry but this is my best effort as I lack enough understanding to formulate even a good question at this point.

May this be spark enough to light a fire that will educate the many who visit the pages on this wonderful site.

Thank You Yogani:

Riju, Jeff, Please take the floor.

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 08 2014 :  11:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As some background for this thread, I would suggest that anyone interested take a look at the stages of progression thread. http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12477 As, Buddhahermit has remarked, while the various stages were defined to be generic, they do map pretty well to a Buddhist framework.

While the information should be updated, the thread does also describes things in terms for people who both experience energy and those who don't.

Edited by - jeff on May 08 2014 11:30:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  01:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Where ever my insights and experiences come on in this thread, I shall come in.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  5:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi EK,

Riju may be better qualified to specifically answer your Siddhartha question. Also, I think it is hard to answer your broader question and goals without laying some backgound. If you don't mind, I would first like to take a step back and form a basis of perspective/understanding for those interested in the thread...

It is not necessary for the discussion, but if people are interested in better understanding the context and framework of the Buddhist (and any primordial) tradition, I would suggest reading three sutras. To start, the Lankavatara sutra lays the basis in simple terms. Effectively building up from the individual perspective of "mind" to universal mind/consciousness. It also breaks the concept of emptiness into seven easy to understand "components". Second, the Heart Sutra defines where the Lankavatra sutra leaves off, giving a useful definition of the "emptiness of ultimate reality" which forms the basis for what is called Buddhahood. Finally, the Lotus sutra expounds on the later stages of development and looks at it sort of top-down.

The basis of difference between the words of Buddha (primordial tradition) can be seen by all of us in a few simple questions....

Does what is often called consciousness = awareness/emptiness?
Does a sentient being actually have the "ability to act/chose", or is it all just a movie with no concept of free will?

Many traditions have answered those questions with... It is all just a movie, so no worries, just "cease" into it/God... And as many modern day gurus state...consciousness is the same as awareness. To both of these points, Buddha disagreed. For him, life is more like a video game than a fixed movie. The greater the clarity, the greater the options. Also, consciousness (or universal mind) very definitely is not the same.

I believe these two points form the foundation for the beginning of seeing the "difference" that you are looking for, as a "Buddha" projects/transmits a world system/universal mind/consciousness (or learns the source code of the video game ).

I will stop here for Riju's perspective (and any questions), before we move on to specifics...

Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[quote][quote]Originally posted by Experientialknowing

According to this my earlier assumptions were true Gautama Buddha did indeed perform severe austerities nearly dying in the process before declaring the middle way, to be the proper path.

Riju this does not match what you have written elsewhere that he never did. Are we communicating about the same historical Buddha?

My question is, is this the person Riju speaks of the same as the one of historical importance who is in every account fictional and not, that I have read about the same person who performed severe austerities, which culminated in nearly killing himself and it was after that that he became realized and afterwards renounced and condemned such practices as not necessary.

No I am not wrong. You have not read properly what i wrote on 7th may at 11.20.
Here is cut and paste job of that writing.

Guatam Buddha was born in India 2600 years back approx. His birth name was Siddharath Guatam.
Before his enlightment he observed all the austerities to the extreme extent. When the results did not come, he changed the methods for which he was severely condemned by his colleagues. The same colleagues became his ardent disciples after his enlightment.
After his Bodh Gaya enlightment he declared that I am Buddha and not some celesial god.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 09 2014 :  11:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Experientialknowing

Dhyana is described as the awareness of the observer (witness) yet inclusive of mind, body, senses and surroundings, however not identified with it, deepening of which leads to samadhi.

Jeff and or Riju please educate us on this fine distinction between Dhyana & Samadhi.

1.. Dhyana ......When concentration advances to intense state, It become dhyana. We are asked to focus mind on observing breathing without manuplating it. After some intense session of concentration we forget outselves and our awareness is focused on breathing in and breathing out. We lose awareness of our body, time and surroundings.
This is dhyana

2.Samadhi as is viewed by yogis...Repeated dhyana sessions increase our concentration. This results in jumping of awareness planes from 5th.. to higher levels. We slowly lose the area of awareness of the breath . And at some stage, we lose complete awareness of our breathing, our body, our senses, our surroundings etc.
This finally results in bliss, Arahatship or even death of physical body, if done in isolation.There are many stages of this samadhi.
(I am not an expert or experienced in this type of samadhi)

3. Samadhi as is viewed by Buddha....We start with concentration on our breathing. Slowly and slowly all our senses one by one get involved in this concentration. Our ears hear the sound of breathing in and out. Our nose smells the air coming in and out etc.
This process goes on extending. Slowly all inside cells of our body start being aware of this breath. Then sub-conscious of our cells starts getting involved in awareness.
Sub- conscious of each of our billion cells is connected with billion parts of outside world. And now even awareness of outside world starts getting involved. And then at some quantum level Buddha samadhi happens.
There are many stages in this also. And this process is million times difficult than samadhi of yogis.

Edited by - riju on May 10 2014 02:07:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  03:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Experientialknowing

For example it is well known that buddhist monks travel about and they do not eat but 1 meal per day etc... but what in the world do they do with all of this down time? from the perspective of the householder this is very mystical indeed.

What a question?
Once I proceeded on meditation. I was hooked on it. I left my lucrative Industry to sit in a closed room and spend 12 or more hours a day in meditation.
Even when there were accidents in my factories with huge losses, I could not be weaned away from meditation.
Time flew by. After two years I got some relults which I was seeking for and then I returned to family but not to industrlies. My son closed them and rented them. Income continuid to come in, but now without efforts.

I have a scientific mind. I need proof. To me at that time , some important questions needed answers and time was of no importance.

Edited by - riju on May 10 2014 04:12:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riju

3. Samadhi as is viewed by Buddha....We start with concentration on our breathing. Slowly and slowly all our senses one by one get involved in this concentration. Our ears hear the sound of breathing in and out. Our nose smells the air coming in and out etc.
This process goes on extending. Slowly all inside cells of our body start being aware of this breath. Then sub-conscious of our cells starts getting involved in awareness.
Sub- conscious of each of our billion cells is connected with billion parts of outside world. And now even awareness of outside world starts getting involved. And then at some quantum level Buddha samadhi happens.
There are many stages in this also. And this process is million times difficult than samadhi of yogis.

What Riju is describing is the beginning of the true realization of "emptiness of self". After which one begins the integration of the "emptiness of ultimate reality". Below are some more general descriptions of the early stages of it from the stages of progression thread...

8 Noticing Oneness – Something “tickles” the calm mind. Curiosity returns. Begin to break beyond the local body-mind. Begin to perceive “light” (spiritual/cosmic/existence) energy. Energy body feels like every cell is vibrating in harmony. Level of "soul", in Christian/Islamic terms.

9 See Oneness – Feels like every soul is inside you. Begin integration with existence. Perceive/feel "light" energy and that it is all one. No longer perceive/worry about astral stuff.

10 Oneness – Can feel everyone. Begin building rainbow/light body. Beyond astral perception. On the astral level, the light body looks like a blob/ball of light. Can connect/merge/oneness to any being and send transmit “light” (energy/knowledge). Directly contact light bodies of divine beings.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  10:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Experientialknowing

Following this incident he sat under the Bhodi tree and vowed never to arise until he had found the truth. This tends to lend favor to the position that he 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path had yet to be developed or expounded on, as he himself has not abided by such framework as of yet.

It is reported he spent 49 days in Meditation

( Still more Extreme Asceticism is it not? )

( Meditation prior to a Buddha and his system are still Yoga is it not? )

Good reading. But stop now. 49 days meditation was definately not extreme asceticism.

He had received enlightment in the early hours of morning. It means he came to know his origin. He came to know his past lives connection.

Next 49 days were spent in BodhGaya at 7 different places around enlightment site. It is said that he spent 7 days on each spot.
What ever happened there is not easy for every one to understand.
Only a person who has experienced his enlightment can explain those 49 days. Briefly he spent these 49 days planning his future based on his past. After 49 days he was ready with a plan and he came out in the thick of this humanity on earth.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  11:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

There is no mention of what form of meditation he practiced.

Here at this stage he understood the limitations of Yoga practice. His method of meditation deviated towards AWARENESS method of meditation.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  12:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What ever happened in those 49 days can be explained to some extent if you understand "Evolution of bees and ants". I have already written something on that in my previous thread. And if one requires further explanation, it will be forthcoming.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  01:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey riju,
I found something out. You are the Buddha, I am the Buddha, and everyone else, for that matter--is the Buddha too. The Buddha is in you, the Buddha is in me, and the Buddha is in everyone else equally as much. Therefore, I find that an ample abundance of spacetime will allow us to project an infinite variety of Buddha natures until we are thoroughly satisfied, and so we will resign to fall asleep once again--speaking of which, I'm going to do now, so I bid you farewell, and I'll quote the Royal Tart Toter just for good measure:
"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace."
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  09:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Before enlightment Guatam went thro two most renowned teachers of his time. Both were experts in yoga dhyana and samadhi. He proved to be better than his both teachers. He was not happy with the results as he found some imperfactions.
Then he left them for the austerities. Here he went to the extreme.So much so that his body had become a skeleton. And he could barely walk or stand.
In the end he was unsatisfied with the results. He then adopted the middle path of logic and WISDOM.
Because he was already an advanced soul, his awareness came back and then the enlightment happened.
Guatam Buddha adopted the MIDDLE path. This word middle had many meanings.

Evolution rose at the 16th plane. It is middle of zero and 32 plane.
It expanded to 15th 16th and 17th plane in the next phase.
At present it rises from the 5th plane to 27th plane like a mounatain. The peak being 16th plane.

plane 1,2,3,4 and 28,29,30,31 are not yet touched.
First two legged human being formed at 16th plane. He had a very long life. Buddha at that point lived for a very very long life.
Buddhas at both 5th and 27th plane are now evolved at highest level with a short life of 100 years or less.
When the Buddha touch the 4th and 28th plane the life of Buddha may not be more than 30-40 years. But they will be the better Buddhas than earlier Buddhas in Wisdom and Power combination. Their rule will be longer than earlier Buddhas which came from 16th plane downwards.

(This may be a bit complicated for understanding)
The life of an ant or bee is probably at 2nd and 30th level. At 2nd level physical counter part is small and at 30 level cosmic part level is huge: with no WISDOM and huge power. It makes the queen bee or queen ant control the huge gathering of ants and bees in systematic manner for survival and transmit communication signals in air.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have already described the two different methods of meditation when I explained yoga samadhi and buddha samadhi. These both methods deviate at 90 degrees. The Buddha samadhi takes the path of peak of the mountain( 16th level) and yoga samadhi goes down to almost Emtptiness (1st-31st level)
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm beginning to understand….

I do not believe that two separate paths are being discussed here, but rather two main stages of spiritual (or human) development.

The first stage culminates in a realization of the emptiness of self. Through meditation and later inquiry, we slowly wear away at our accumulated habits, blind beliefs, reactivity, wounding, etc. until we finally experience ourselves as open, clear, empty. We realize that there is a greater divinity moving through our lives, and are finally able to allow this greater divine force to move through us without resistance. It is a total surrender to the divine. I believe this maps to the "Stillness in Action" concept in AYP, and I believe Riju is calling this Arahatship.

Many people stay at this stage believing themselves to have attained enlightenment. But one is never "done." We are infinite beings capable of infinite growth.

During the first stage, in addition to the practices that cultivate silence and stillness, there are practices that cultivate the energy body - clearing obstructions and moving the energy into the central channel. When the energy body is clear enough and the crown opens, it begins to dawn on the human being that further growth is available and necessary. At this stage, mediation has changed from a twice-daily or once-daily sit to a 24/7 experience, where one is always aware of and in contemplation of their experience. One might find that there are more obstructions to be cleared. One might be able to connect to other human beings and more. The experienced, realized distinction between "me" and "not me" starts to wear thin, and the local consciousness breaks free into the universal field. At this stage, real powers, or siddhis can manifest. I believe this is where the transition between what Riju is calling "Arahatship" and what Riju is calling "Buddhahood" takes place.

At the first stage our personal will is surrendered to the divine. There is a realization that we are not in control of our lives, and everything we do is directed by divine (or universal) consciousness. When our local consciousness breaks free and begins to access the universal consciousness, that all begins to change. We have the potential to be "co-creators" with the divine. This is the beginning of what Riju is calling the "Buddha" stage. If you think about what "co-creates" I believe you will find that it is our egos. As long as we are in physical bodies, we have personalities or egos and, at this stage of development, it is now our own egos that assist with the manifestation of reality along with the divine or universal consciousness.

There is a huge potential trap in the transition from the Arahat stage to the Buddha stage, that I think Riju alludes to. If we fail to recognize our own divinity and the creations of our egos, and if we have also surrendered our personal responsibility along with our personal will, there is the potential to cause great harm. At the second stage, the 24/7 contemplation of our experience becomes absolutely required. We must stay on top of our experience and determine whether our actions are motivated by true compassion arising from emptiness (or stillness) or from a desire for egoic aggrandizement. Both are possible, and that is why, I believe, that Riju states that the Buddha meditation is more difficult. One must never be distracted.

I do not see a true difference between what Riju describes and the path of someone practicing AYP. Buddhists practice yogas also, and the goals of the Buddhist yogas appear to the be the same as the goals of the AYP yogas - realizing the emptiness of self and clearing the energy body of obstructions.

Love

--Liz

P.S. If I've misunderstood, feel free to clarify/correct.

Edited by - whippoorwill on May 11 2014 10:15:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  10:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have already described the two different methods of meditation when I explained yoga samadhi and buddha samadhi. These both methods deviate at 90 degrees. The Buddha samadhi takes the path of peak of the mountain( 16th level) and yoga samadhi goes down to almost Emtptiness (1st-31st level)

Here I would disagree somewhat. Mediation itself is a contrived state of mind, even at the deeper levels of universal mind/consciousness. A Buddhas awareness "meditation" is better described as "residing" than some state of meditation. A Buddha knows that all "levels" are just arisings and integrates (or transcends) all levels to their capability.

Or, in simple terms... There is no difference between meditation and normal daily life for a Buddha. It is all the same.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  10:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz,

Excellent comments.

Your "co-creator" concept takes on back to my earlier question...

Is it all a fixed movie, or more an interactive video game? Guess we know where you stand.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

I'm beginning to understand….

I do not see a true difference between what Riju describes and the path of someone practicing AYP. Buddhists practice yogas also, and the goals of the Buddhist yogas appear to the be the same as the goals of the AYP yogas - realizing the emptiness of self and clearing the energy body of obstructions.

Love

--Liz

P.S. If I've misunderstood, feel free to clarify/correct.

I do not know AYP YOGA SYSTEMS. Hence no comments on that.

But when I meditate on my breath,I feel that many of body cells in various part of my body are also breathing in synchronus. When the number of cells involved in my body have reached a critical stage, then a quantum jump happens. Those cells have jumped to higher plane for storage. And again breathing with first few new cells starts all over again. I feel that I should involve maximum cells of my body to go thro this process. I feel that this is widening the base on which my future mountain will be arising. If I take very few cells and go on jumping plane after plane, I might acquire a few powers if I jump planes but I will be too short on WISDOMS.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 11 2014 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

But when I meditate on my breath,I feel that many of body cells in various part of my body are also breathing in synchronus. When the number of cells involved in my body have reached a critical stage, then a quantum jump happens. Those cells have jumped to higher plane for storage. And again breathing with first few new cells starts all over again. I feel that I should involve maximum cells of my body to go thro this process. I feel that this is widening the base on which my future mountain will be arising. If I take very few cells and go on jumping plane after plane, I might acquire a few powers if I jump planes but I will be too short on WISDOMS.

What Riju is describing in being "too short on Wisdoms" for deeper levels can be also described like this...

At each deeper level of consciousness, one must let go of the issues/fears/obstructions stored at that level. If the issues are released, the energy/wisdoms flow freely and one "integrates" into that level (in other traditions it is described as being given the keys). If one does not, it feels like one is spacey or detached, kind of like you don't have the energy to support that level. People often mistake this feeling of lack of boundaries for "oneness" or some form of "enlightenment".
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  09:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some words of the Buddhist/Dzogchen master Shabkar Lama that may help the group understand what Riju is trying to describe...

Flight of the Garuda

SONG SIX: Initiation into our true existential condition

EHMAHO! Again, beloved children of my heart, listen! "Mind", this universal concept, this most significant of words, being no single entity, manifests as the gamut of pleasure and pain in samsara and nirvana. There are as many beliefs about it as there are approaches to Buddhahood. It has innumerable synonyms.

In the vernacular it is "I"; some Hindus call it "the Self"; the Disciples say "self-less individual"; the followers of Mind-only call it simply "mind"; some call it "perfect insight"; some call it "Buddha-nature"; some call it "the Magnificent Stance" (Mahamudra); some call it "the Middle Way"; some call it "the cosmic seed"; some call it "the reality-continuum"; some call it "the universal ground"; some call it "ordinary consciousness". Since the synonyms of "mind", the labels we apply to it, are countless, know it for what it really is. Know it experientially as the here and now. Compose yourself in the natural state of your mind's nature.

When at rest the mind is ordinary perception, naked and unadorned; when you gaze directly at it there is nothing to see but light; as Awareness, it is brilliance and the relaxed vigilance of the awakened state; as nothing specific whatsoever, it is a secret fullness; it is the ultimacy of nondual radiance and emptiness.

It is not eternal, for nothing whatsoever about it has been proved to exist. It is not a void, for there is brilliance and wakefulness. It is not unity, for multiplicity is self-evident in perception. It is not multiplicity, for we know the one taste of unity. It is not an external function, for Awareness is intrinsic to immediate reality.

In the immediate here and now we see the face of the Original Lord abiding in the heart centre. Identify yourself with him, my spiritual sons. Whoever denies him, wanting more from somewhere else, is like the man who has found his elephant but continues to follow its tracks. He may comb the three dimensions of the microcosmic world systems for an eternity, but he will not find so much as the name of Buddha other than the one in his heart.

Such is my introduction initiating recognition of our true existential condition, which is the principal realization in Cutting Through to the Great Perfection.
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  10:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff is opening up nicely.

Regarding 49 days of Buddha's Bodh Gaya, I will write when the silence on this thread happens, as it is a story at present level and may not add much to indivitual path at present.

But it is not a mere story for those who have advanced to high level of meditation and are in communication at different planes

Edited by - riju on May 12 2014 11:04:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Regarding 49 days of Buddha's Bodh Gaya, I will write when the silence on this thread happens, as it is a story at present level and may not add much to indivitual path at present.

But it is not a mere story for those who have advanced to high level of meditation and are in communication at different planes

I think this is an important point to be mentioned...

Beings such as Buddha (and Jesus, Krishna...) "exist" as much as we do...

Go to Top of Page

Indigo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jeff

quote:

What Riju is describing in being "too short on Wisdoms" for deeper levels can be also described like this...

At each deeper level of consciousness, one must let go of the issues/fears/obstructions stored at that level. If the issues are released, the energy/wisdoms flow freely and one "integrates" into that level (in other traditions it is described as being given the keys). If one does not, it feels like one is spacey or detached, kind of like you don't have the energy to support that level. People often mistake this feeling of lack of boundaries for "oneness" or some form of "enlightenment".

Thank you Riju and Jeff for the writings presented in this topic!
Jeff, you have explained this portion with such clarity, which gave me
clear understanding. One of those "AH, HA" moments!
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  9:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Indigo,

I am glad that you found it helpful.

Best,
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 12 2014 :  11:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Experientialknowing

Insight into his past lives
Insight into the workings of Karma and Reincarnation
Insight into the Four Noble Truths
Insight into the Four Noble Truths is here called awakening.

Any good sources on this Vanapattha Sutta (Majjhima, chapter 17 ?

your summary was simple, direct and was liked by me. I wish I could write like you.

I do know much about these 49 days of Guatam's sequence of thoughts.
Telling you these details can be useful. So that in some way you can simplify it with the help of JEFF and present it.

1.Coming out of enlightment first thing that came into his mind was remebering his past. He remebered his 15 brothers and his father. His work of billions and billions years of creativity. His study on the results of this creativity and WISDOMS that had been gathered in this process. He remembered his father and brothers entering NIRVAN leaving the legacy of their work in his hands.

(NOW THE TIME HAS COME TO GO THRO CHAPTER 7 OF LOTUS SUTRA NAMED "THE PARABLE OF THE PHANTOM CITY".)
After going thro this chapter one can put questions to me for opening this chapter.

2.In the second stage, he wanted to verify that all this remebering of the past and the WISDOMS in it should be re-experienced.
So he spent his next week looking at a LEAF of a PIPAL tree with AWARENESS. In watching this leaf his AWARENESS went on expanding. It resulted in studying the cause and effects that brought this leaf into existence.
Then he connected it to his past lives and located the cause and effect that made him.
Then he located where this cause and effect separated so that leaf and he himself followed the two different paths.
His awareness went to the point of this separation and from there he followed to the leaf. And he could find the powers in him which could control the movement of the leaf on that tree. It was a huge replay of the past of the universe in him.
This confirmed that his mind was not playing tricks with him and HE IS THE BUDDHA IN RULE.

3.In the third stage, he wondered as to why he has opted to take birth in this dark and filthy SAHA world. The he recollected meetings and gatherings with brothers and father and their feeling of uncomfortability , that this SAHA world caused them. For them they could not avoid the SAHA world in neighbourhood. This SAHA world was exteremly POLLUTED.

Here SAHA world refers to our existing GALAXY.

(This is again a long story).

4. Here he relents to enter the Saha world for purifications. This required total cooperation of his father, brothers, past Buddhas and other advance souls. He remembered. They all were worried that they may lose Guatam in the Saha world if they failed. So they all went into deep deepest meditation. In this meditation they got in contact
with TREASURE TOWER BUDDHA.

5.With the contact with TREASURE TOWER a long past histories of many eras of evolution came to light. And he found out that in a very long past, some one had faced this type of Saha world. He had dared enter it and come out with PARTIAL success.
Now these methods were studied and stored in memory and decision to jump into this pit of SAHA world was taken.

6.Inspite of all these precautions, when Buddha took birth on this earth, he did not remember for next 28 years his purpose of coming on the earth. HE wondered why? He came to the conclusion that this may be due to further darkening of SAHA world as it had gathered much more negativities in the process of cleaning done by him, and his family.

He again despaired at the methods that were formalised before his birth and hesitated to start the process of purification.
This shocked Brahama and other gods who were very anxious for purification for their survival.

7.He again went into the process of remodeling the teachings to suit this SAHA world and then ventured out to TEACH.
These teachings he divided into two main portions.
In the first 20 years he will teach, and all his teaching are recorded
in Hinayana and Therwada sutras. This process will purify the monks to almost ARHAT level.

Next 20 years he will teach Mahayana process. There are many sutras of his mahayana teaachings available.

He will also teach LOTUS sutra to a very few disciples whom he selects for their efforts and past experiences.

Go to Top of Page

riju

India
193 Posts

Posted - May 13 2014 :  01:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot one stage between 2 and 3.
Let it be 2a.

2a. There was a pond there. He sat near the pond which was filled with lotus flowers. Here he again meditated on the results that will come out of purifying this dark SAHA WORLD.

Here he understood that going into the deeper muck, one can gain unlimited number of WISDOMS. More the negativities more the WISDOMS. Deeper the roots of negativitlies, WISDOMS also have to deepened to counter the dark evilness. These Buddha wisdoms collected in these conditions will give astounding results . Compared to WISDOMS at higher levels this period will outgather earlier periods.

It is like charcoal hardening to diomonds under severe conditions.
It is like lotus flower arising from deep mud.
The efforts and pain will be worth .
He then also determined that not only will he purify this SAHA WORLD but will ALSO HELP THRO OUTFLOWS some of his half cooked disciples to work deeper after he goes to NIRVAN. It is here he decided to handover to a future buddha (created thro his help out of his disciples) the baton of going deeper into the muck to purify.

Edited by - riju on May 13 2014 02:43:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000