Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Lower back pain from asana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  8:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was too aggressive with the spinal twist asana (Ardha Matsyendrasana) and now I'm experiencing pain in my lower vertebrae sporadically when standing or bending over throughout the day. I will probably abstain from this pose for a while and ease back into it as I recover, but in the meantime, can anyone recommend other exercises to help in that effort?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by - GregM on Mar 23 2014 8:44:50 PM

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  8:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about your pain GregM.

About six months ago I started laying my back on a yoga ball with my stomach up and balancing for about five minutes daily.

Doesn't take too much balancing and has made huge improvements in my general flexibility. Three months ago I started doing spinal twists that I couldn't do before. And maha mudra is improving a lot too.

Hathateacher here posted about how critical back bends are in an old post and that inspired me to try it.

Thanks Hathateacher!

Heal fast GregM!
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2014 :  9:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

About six months ago I started laying my back on a yoga ball with my stomach up and balancing for about five minutes daily.

Oooh, that feels good. I haven't done that in a long time. Thanks for the suggestion!

quote:

Heal fast GregM!

Your command is my wish...

--Greg
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  4:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Billin LA. (and thank you for your e-mail notice), good to hear it works. As we grow older, it's easily happened to neglect back bends because forward bends become easier than during the years of growth. Therefore IMO back bends (self paced) are a way to slow down ageing of the spine.

Greg, there are several details that often get wrong in Ardha Matsyendrasana. If you've a mirror, check that none of the shoulders gets higher than the other one, and that the spine is lengthened and straight (and especially, that the heart region is not pulled in/backward). Don't rush the bind (you can use just the tips of your longest fingers, or hold a sock with your palms instead). IMO, Nakrakriya (the crocodile twist, lying on your back) is safer/gentler because you can do it dynamically from side to side, in pace with (very slow, deep) breath. If you've lower-spine issues, you can even use the lungs as an "airbag" in Nakrakriya: Inhale - twist under kumbhaka - get back to middle, exhale - inhale twist to the other side etc. (i.e. the standard breathing scheme reversed), and there are also dozens of leg variations to try (to see if any of those makes the spine get better).

Heal fast & safely
HaTha

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Mar 25 2014 05:34:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000