Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Recommendations for a blocked throat chakra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  01:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have sensed (and later had it confirmed) that I have a blocked throat chakra. My ability to communicate effectively has been hampered by this (I don't stutter, but I search for words on a regular basis) and it probably has had a detrimental effect on my energy flow as well.

When I was meditating this evening, I worked on healing this chakra towards the end of the session. I used a method which came to me somewhat intuitively. A brief description follows:

I recruited three other chakras (the third eye, heart & navel), to work collaboratively to assist in easing the blockage (at least, temporarily). The reason for the chakras used was based on my understanding of their purpose. Navel = life-sustaining power. Heart = loving kindness. Third eye = focus. It seemed an appropriate blend for the task at hand.

So, with the energies of these three chakras thus directed towards my throat region in an attempt to release the blockage, I slowly and meticulously proceeded. I'm inexperienced with such things, but I could feel an energy within the throat area extending from about mid-head to upper chest. In addition, I distinctly felt energy in my third eye & heart chakras, but less so in my navel.

I was successful in clearing the blockage, but the effects were very temporary (lasting no more than perhaps 10-15 minutes after the end of my meditation.) Are there any experienced healers that can offer recommendations for how to clear this more permanently?

Thank-you,

Greg

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard an AYP yogi that unblocked his throat blockage practicing Chin Pump, and a Kriya Yogi that did the same through the practice of Thokar.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  5:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
GregM

Focusing on individual chakras goes against AYP methods and most here strongly advise against tinkering under the hood. I believe Yogini states these types of blockages clear over time with sticking to the system. Trespass at your own risk!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2014 :  6:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

If you have progressed in the lessons as far as spinal bastrika, you can use targeted spinal bastrika as a way of clearing specific blockages in the shushumna nadi.

As Will Power mentioned, chin pump can also help to clear a bloackage in the throat chakra.

One thing to bear in mind with the throat chakra is that it may not clear until the heart is open and purified, and once the heart is open, the throat can open automatically as the prana flows upwards and outwards through the opened heart. Practices which help to open the heart chakra include spinal bastrika and heart breathing.

There are also some asanas which help to open both the heart and the throat at the same time. These would include fish (matsyasana), bridge (setu Bandha Sarvangasana), wheel (chakrasana), camel (ustrasana), reclining hero (supta virasana), cat (Marjariasana) and standing back bend (anuvittasana).

And one of the most beautiful forms of self-inquiry practice which opens the heart is a practice called Metta Bhavana.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2014 :  12:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, thank you for the very helpful/informative posts!

I have not yet progressed far enough to do chin pump or spinal bastrika, but I'll have to read ahead to see how far I am from that point. So far, I'm doing the asanas, SBP (with sambhavi & mulabandha) & DM. I'm progressing nicely in everything, but I'm a ways off from incorporating another practice at this point.

Thank you again!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2014 :  5:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

There are also some asanas which help to open both the heart and the throat at the same time. These would include fish (matsyasana), bridge (setu Bandha Sarvangasana), wheel (chakrasana), camel (ustrasana), reclining hero (supta virasana), cat (Marjariasana) and standing back bend (anuvittasana).

And one of the most beautiful forms of self-inquiry practice which opens the heart is a practice called Metta Bhavana.

Christi,

I was just looking up the asanas you mention here in a book titled, "Yoga: The Iyengar Way". I was able to find all but three of them, chakrasana, Marjariasana & anuvittasana. Would these go by any other names that you're aware of?

Thanks,

Greg
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2014 :  6:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Also, is there a particular resource you'd recommend for proper instructions on the practice of Metta Bhavana? I'm reading this one on Buddhanet currently.
Go to Top of Page

_shakti_

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  07:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a throat chakra blockage for YEARS. It was frustrating, and a lot of times quite painful as well. It felt like a big frog in my throat, yet I rarely felt any sadness. I suppose now it seems obvious, that it was pent up emotions that needed to be released. But that wasn't the whole story either. Some say vishuddha is a higher center of the will, and I am inclined to agree. I know that surrendering to kundalini, to do as SHE will, has helped tremendously. Then *I* am free to simply observe, which has freed up any temporary cluttering that may gather there.

I have come to rely on my throat as a certain barometer for where I'm at energetically/emotionally. Self inquiry is something that has arisen quite naturally over the last year, and I can always tell when I 'fall in' to the true self (I don't know how else to describe it).. there's a certain deep tingling sensation that occurs. I can also tell when I am far away from my true self, I get that old familiar frog or dull ache happening. So what I used to view as a frustrating annoyance, has now become a very important tool on my spiritual path.

As for specific techniques? I wish you all the best in that regard, I can't tell you how many different ones I have tried over the years. And yes, many worked.. but as you said, only very temporarily. Surrender, acceptance/observation and self inquiry have been the best 'solution' for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000