Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Four realizations...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many teachers say all of the same things, but I thought I would share some observations. I hope you will find it useful (or at least interesting...).

1. The observer and the process of observing are not two different things. As you look, you will find that ultimately no observer can be found, and so the whole concept will collapse in on itself. But as this realization grows, one must be careful of not getting caught up in concepts of nihilism. After a while, one finds that understanding and not understanding are not really two different things, with both being just concepts of the mind.

2. The meditator and the process of meditation are not two different things. Like with the observer, no meditator can be found and ultimately the concept of the "mental state" of meditation is dropped. As this realization grows, one must watch for both chasing visions & delusions, but also it is possible to slip into laziness/stupor of the mind. The mind should become increasingly aware and full of "light".

3. Behavior (and emotional responses) and the one who behaves are not two different things. Again, one cannot find the one who acts, so concepts of disavowing anger and actions as somehow being separate will be let go. As one's clarity grows, one realizes that concepts of good & evil are not really two different things, and judgements are mostly just automated ego responses.

4. Later one realizes that what is realized and the one who realizes it are not two different things. Since you cannot find the one who realizes "enlightenment" or the boundaries of such a being, one goes from noticing "it" to being all of "it". The key is to not get caught up in either attachment or fears, which are the obstructions that blind one from all of "it". As one learns to just "reside", your immediate awareness naturally unfolds to become spontaneously perfected inherent clarity, and one knows that a normal person and a Buddha are really not two different things.

Best wishes,
Jeff

(edit - removed excess words)

Edited by - jeff on Jan 24 2014 11:37:24 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.

quote:
As one's clarity grows, one realizes that concepts of good & evil are not really two different things, and judgments are mostly just automated ego responses.

The other way I put this is... it is all love... at a certain point the mind coloring of love drops... it is all love.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  1:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Jeff, thanks for that.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  7:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very congruent. Nicely structured and simple in its delivery. I like how you wrap it up with the Buddha metaphor (and, of course, it's beyond a metaphor; it's a reality. ).

Thank you for the clarity, Jeff!
Go to Top of Page

Zlarp

Switzerland
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2014 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm always annoyed when I totally "get" things like this and then realize that really, I don't. If intellectual understanding was enough to be enlightened, I'd be enlightened 23 times by now.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  1:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti & Mr. Anderson - thank you for the nice comments. Bodhi - glad you found it congruent with some clarity.

Zlarp - I would agree with you about the difference between intellectualism and realization. It may sound simple, but I have found that it can best be found in the present moment. In the moment, my comments above can be pretty much simplified to...

1. Thoughts of the past are clear and open. Memories hold to attachment or pain.
2. Thoughts in the future are flexible and open. No past memories or issues/fears affecting one's perspective and judgement.
3. When truly In the present moment, your mind is clear and bright without spinning off any new threads or thoughts.

Awareness in those moments is in the natural state.

Best wishes.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2014 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

1. Thoughts of the past are clear and open. Memories hold to attachment or pain.
2. Thoughts in the future are flexible and open. No past memories or issues/fears affecting one's perspective and judgement.
3. When truly In the present moment, your mind is clear and bright without spinning off any new threads or thoughts.

Awareness in those moments is in the natural state.

Best wishes.

Thanks Jeff
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2014 :  10:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and clear. Thanks Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  4:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful !! Thanks for sharing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000