AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Chaga Mushroom powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello beuatiful people,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to purchase chaga mushroom powder. I have read much online about the health benefits but i have also read plenty of cautionary literature on buying only pure and organic, and harvested while tree is alive. Well, i still dont know where to purchase pure, organic chaga powder from reputable distributors.
Thanks a bunch
Kelly

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  01:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I buy from a guy who posts videos on youtube. He is a Taoist. I know from experience his Chaga is really good. It has a strong vanilla taste and smell like it is supposed to. His Reishi works really good too.

https://hyperionherbs.com/

I bought an extract from a company on amazon before and it didn't work very well.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Damn that's expensive!

We have that stuff here growing on trees for free :)
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2013 :  04:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, I actually think it grows in the Sierras in California too. You should harvest some chinmayo, Chaga is life changing stuff!

Well I have another company. I have bought all sorts of herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs. They are a really good company. Their Goji berries taste awesome. I've never tried their Chaga but I'm sure is it good.

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/b...php#h_c_chag

Chaga has to be simmered for like an hour in order to break the cell wall of the mushroom. That's why it is considered a "long boil" herb in Chinese medicine. Buying the extracts can save money on utilities cause it has to be simmered so long.
Go to Top of Page

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  9:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Crazymandrew, you are awesome! Thank you!! I have been thinking about chaga alot lately but have refrained frompurchasing any since the extract i bought from a natural market. It tasted bitter! I had read somewhere that it was supposed to taste like vanilla too, so i was suspicious of the product i bought. I will check out the site you mentioned
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

tlg

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
anyone have a reliable source for cordyceps. i have tried from the biggest USA company and it just does not have any life in it. I used to get a brand out of China in liquid form sold in vials and it was great but they have gone out of business. Any suggestions from experience?

thank you
tlg
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  3:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Four Sigma Foods sell both chaga and cordyceps. Also reishi, lion's mane, and perhaps some more.

http://www.foursigmafoods.com/products
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  8:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is it used for?
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  03:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The list of what they are used for is rather long... I will leave that to your imagination or google. In summary, (if I understand correctly) medicinal mushrooms are more closely related to humans than plants are, and as such they contain large quantities of chemicals that help and protect the body. There is research on their effectiveness treating and preventing many diseases, and anecdotally the list of diseases is much longer.

Perhaps more related to spiritual journeys, I have heard of chaga being used to decalcify pineal glands and reishi opening the third eye in general (these are claims are probably more anecdotal than proven!). Cordyceps I believe increases the efficiency of oxygen flow in the body, so perhaps acts beneficially on the heart? Lion's mane is more brain-focused and is said to enhance learning by stimulating brain cell growth as well as helping damaged brain cells. I have heard of it (from unreliable internet sources) being used in some monestaries, presumably quickening the progress of meditation. People suffering from mental after-effects of drug, alcohol, stress, or general age-related abuse may also benefit and recover more quickly than they otherwise would (helps with mental 'fogs' but does not reduce cravings).

I'm sure the spiritual reasons for taking these are much more than this and I am very curious what the earlier posters were after chaga and cordyceps for!

In general this is not a recommendation and people should do their own research and see a doctor etc. Also if they are compatible with the practises of AYP, I do not know.
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2014 :  05:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to add that I still think hyperion herbs is a really good company.

I'm not 100% sure about mountain rose herbs. I had a bad reaction to their herbs several times now.

Hyperion is definitely legit though.

Edited by - crazymandrew on Feb 14 2014 05:56:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  7:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to add since this was last posted. I found a good company with reasonable prices for chaga products. I am solely purchasing chaga to put into my smoothies and make tea to enhance and maintain my good health (and my family's health). The health benefits are tremendous and i love the flavor. I did not know it was used for meditation or pineal gland decalficication. Anyway, the site is www.fiddleheadheaven.com based out of Canada. The owner, Dwight, has corresponded with me and was open to answering all my questions, even sending me some chaga recipes. He teaches people how to harvest the chaga from the birch trees so that the trees are not harmed and the chaga maintains it's integrity. He seems legit and honest :). The chaga powder i bought tastes great, it's mild with a subtle vanilla flavor. I have been making tea, which i then put into smoothies and sauces. I use the crock pot, 1/4 c of chaga powder and 12 c of filtered water (8 hrs on low). It is great with honey as tea or as the base for shakes and smoothies. I put it in my dog's food and much more. It is a super food but, 8 would still ask a doctor before starting chaga, since it is a mushroom and may cause allergic reactions. However, i have not read anything side effects being mentioned in the literature and i have read a lot about it before giving it to my children, hubby, and pup

Much love and be well

Edited by - KellyN on Mar 07 2014 7:45:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2014 :  10:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

What is it used for?

I found this quick reference by Paul Stamets that you may find to be informative.

Enjoy,

Greg

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2014 :  10:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Greg
Go to Top of Page

Vlad

Russia
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  5:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tlg

anyone have a reliable source for cordyceps. i have tried from the biggest USA company and it just does not have any life in it. I used to get a brand out of China in liquid form sold in vials and it was great but they have gone out of business. Any suggestions from experience?

thank you
tlg

I want to recommend oriveda, a dutch company that sells on amazon. they give very good information and provide what i found to be the best mushroom products ever. about chaga they wrote a lengthy monograph that addresses all questions that might come up: http://oriveda.wordpress.com/chaga-the-facts/

one thing already chaga is supposed to taste bitter, all the talk about vanilla taste is nonsense, unfortunately. it tastes bitter because of the triterpenes like betulinic acid.

hope i was able to help,

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Wim

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2014 :  3:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by crazymandrew

Yes, I buy from a guy who posts videos on youtube. He is a Taoist. I know from experience his Chaga is really good. It has a strong vanilla taste and smell like it is supposed to. His Reishi works really good too.

https://hyperionherbs.com/

I bought an extract from a company on amazon before and it didn't work very well.

Dear crazymandrew, would you be so kind and answer the following:

1. What is your experience in chaga usage that you can judge whether somebody's chaga is good or not?
2. Vanila taste of chaga? No chance of chaga mushroom taste at all? And yet you say you know how chaga is supposed to taste...
3. Do you know by any chance the difference between Chaga and Reishi? What is the most important element that makes chaga to stand out from other mushrooms?

I have visited the suggested website and would like to comment on it: the extract on that website looks quite suspicious to me. First of all, the merchant is clearly not familiar with chaga and its active substances. Label says: "30% of polysachharides" but this tells nothing about chaga! It is not chaga's main active substance (vast majority of mushrooms has a lot of polysaccharides). Secondly, the extract looks different from real freeze dry chaga mushroom extract, it should contain glistening particles in it, which are the pieces of "sclerotium" - the outer layer of chaga (the most valuable part). Follow this link and see the difference by yourself: http://chagatrade.ru/chaga-extract.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000