Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Great Quote on Guilt from A Course In Miracles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2013 :  7:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

"See no one, then, as guilty, and you will affirm the truth of guiltlessness unto yourself."
~A Course In Miracles

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  6:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you doing ACIM? I have a few questions about it
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  7:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ak33

Are you doing ACIM? I have a few questions about it

Hi ak33,

I'm very familiar with ACIM. I used to facilitate a Course study group, and I still usually read at least a bit of it daily.

Please ask - I'll be happy to answer if I can.

Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  8:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great. I've read the intro and some lessons, and I got the feeling of heavy Christian ideology. Of course I make no claims because I have not looked into it enough. My question is that as a Hindu (I haven't read the bible), would it make it more difficult for me to do the course. Additionally, is there a meditation to go along with ACIM, maybe one can do AYP as a supplement?
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  8:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Great. I've read the intro and some lessons, and I got the feeling of heavy Christian ideology. Of course I make no claims because I have not looked into it enough. My question is that as a Hindu (I haven't read the bible), would it make it more difficult for me to do the course. Additionally, is there a meditation to go along with ACIM, maybe one can do AYP as a supplement?

Hi ak33,

I'm a Hindu and love ACIM. I find it to be a fabulous tool for self-inquiry and a practice "off the cushion". Yes, it complements AYP sitting practices very well IMO.

K'man can provide further insights, no doubt.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  9:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

ACIM is not traditionally Christian at all, nor is it ideological -- in fact, it comes under heavy criticism from some Christians for that reason.

Basically, A Course In Miracles is a framework, or template, which simply uses Christian terminology and symbols to show the relationship between various facets of consciousness.

This can be very helpful to those who are engaged in sadhana -- the primary purpose of which is, of course, to realize our natural state of wholeness.

I feel that AYP and ACIM are 100% compatible. If anything, daily AYP practice can help accelerate the clarity that can come from ACIM.

In my experience and observation, (emotional) attachment to conceptual conditioning is what can "trip up" even advanced yogis and yoginis -- and so, the toolsets and understanding made possible by ACIM can actually be very valuable.

I'm happy to discuss it further, too, as you like. In general, I've found the Course to be a useful map of consciousness, and useful toolset for helping to keep attention free from conceptual conditioning, which is also the essential purpose of yoga itself:

"Yoga is the non-attachment to mental modifications" - Yoga Sutras 1.2

Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you kami and Kirtanman. I am in my last week of the presence process (2nd round) and feel like getting back into AYP. I feel like this would be a good combo. I have to be honest, I've looked at many different meditations, but AYP DM is still the most cutting-edge, efficient and SIMPLE tool out there.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2013 :  2:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thank you kami and Kirtanman. I am in my last week of the presence process (2nd round) and feel like getting back into AYP. I feel like this would be a good combo. I have to be honest, I've looked at many different meditations, but AYP DM is still the most cutting-edge, efficient and SIMPLE tool out there.

Hi ak33,

You're very welcome. I'm not familiar with the presence process, but after quickly Googling, I'd say it seems very much in sync with ACIM.

One possibly-helpful clarification:

A miracle, as defined by A Course In Miracles is true presence -- a miracle is the wholeness (the oneness, awareness, presence) that is our natural state in the absence of conceptual distortions.

Every effective path for opening consciousness recommends this practice (opening to true presence without conceptual distortions) in one way or another.

For instance, sutra 1.23 of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras states, as outlined in this helpful translation and explanation:

ishvara pranidhana va

"1.23 From a special process of devotion and letting go into the creative source from which we emerged (ishvara pranidhana), the coming of samadhi is imminent.
(ishvara pranidhana va)"

Meaning of Ishvara (excerpt)

"When one expands one's individual consciousness to the Universal Consciousness, it is called Self-realization, for the individual self has realized the unity of diversity, the very underlying principle, or Universal Self, beneath all forms and names."

Sutra 1.24 further clarifies:

klesha karma vipaka ashayaih aparamristah purusha-vishesha ishvara

"1.24 That creative source (ishvara) is a particular consciousness (purusha) that is unaffected by colorings (kleshas), actions (karmas), or results of those actions that happen when latent impressions stir and cause those actions."

That's exactly the essence of A Course In Miracles - via the forgiving (releasing, letting go) of conceptual distortions, we are able to practice the presence of wholeness (aka Ishvara, aka a miracle).

Or, as ACIM states with utter simplicity:

"All healing is release from the past."

I hope that helps clarify what ACIM is all about a bit more.

Also, I concur, and I'm guessing Kami does, too (since she and I and other long-term AYPers have had the privilege of leading / attending multiple AYP retreats together, over the last few years) -- you really can't go wrong with AYP Deep Meditation.

Go to Top of Page

yld

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman
A miracle, as defined by A Course In Miracles is true presence -- a miracle is the wholeness (the oneness, awareness, presence) that is our natural state in the absence of conceptual distortions.
Nice commentary..

Edited by - yld on Apr 14 2016 11:31:08 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000