AYPsite.org Forum
 Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 srf and ayp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mufad

44 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  03:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mufad's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,
I have been with Yogananda for a long time now, been practicing kriya regularly. His "Autobiography of a Yogi" is a spiritual classic - responsible for starting many a soul on the spiritual path, including me. The entire text of this book is available online - just do a search on google to find it.

With the plethora of modern gurus, what people need today are AUTHENTIC teachings. Experimentation has its place but the blessings of a true master who shares responsibility for your evolution, with a promise to guide you life after life - is rare to find. This is what Yogananda offers.

Yogani ends each ayp lesson by "the guru is in you" - I agree. Then why do we need the AYP teachings or any other teachings ? To reveal that guru in greater and greater degrees. Any spiritual teachings that come to us, comes to us through the grace of that "guru inside" - Maya has its ways to hinder the spiritual aspirant, we need a reliable anchor in god to shield us from the multifaceted delusions of maya, and to lead us to safe shores when we are drowning. That anchor is a true guru, who may be yogananda or any other - inside - any form of god - to which you surrender - not self.

The SRF teachings derive their authenticity from a line of gurus, the ever living Babaji revived Kriya Yoga in our present age through the instrumentality of Lahri Mahasaya. Yogananda was chosen by Babaji to spread the teachings in the west. It has been said that self effort can take you to the door of heaven - but only the guru can open the door of heaven to let you in. Yogani will say – favour the practice, not heaven ;-) but isn’t there a limit to how far self effort can take you ?

SRF has a lesson series that is sent by post every fortnight – you can find more info and apply for this from http://srf-yogananda.org/lessons/index.html - this includes the energisation exercises and basic meditation techniques like the Hong-Sau and Om – Kriya initiation is a separate application that you can make after you have formed a routine of regular twice daily practice of the basic techniques. After kriya initiation, the number of kriya practices you can do are fixed, you need to inform SRF when you want to increase the practice. Higher kriya (second to fourth initiation) are given after you meet the criteria for these.

The SRF kriya is slightly different from spinal breathing as there are specific sounds mentioned with the inhalation and exhalation. The SRF kriya does not have kechari - I found AYP when searching for information about kechari - The Kriya of Lahri Mahayasa has kechari but Yogananda did not teach it as part of the printed lesson series. The higher kriyas have some similarity to the chin pump of ayp. The higher kriyas are given only after you have been practicing basic kriya for many years.

Jai Guru in You,
Mufad.

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mufad,
My experiences have been that indeed a realised guru will take you to higher levels than is possible with other ways, but it all depends on where you want to be and how much you are prepared to endure to reach those levels.I am a student of Kundalini Maha Yoga and there are vast differences between our practices and AYP.AYP encourages self pacing,my guru puts no restriction on meditation time.AYP uses mudras,bhandas, kechari etc.KMY does not use any of these and in fact teaches that they are redundant in our lineage.KMY uses mantras of the siddhas which makes a vast difference to the energy levels.The mantras are so effective that at this moment I can enter yoga nidra in a few minutes of japa. AYP does not use japa, KMY uses japa extensively as a means to purification.
The level of enlightenment that most talk of is a different level to that experienced by the siddhas.The inner bliss and contentment is not the end but is just a lower level of enlightenment.For instance my guru has been at this level and now moves on towards a higher level.To accomplish this she is currently doing japa and meditation for many hours daily.The inpour of energy has changed her physically at times and she has endured extreme heat and pain as part of the purification process.Very few would endure this process to reach higher levels and I doubt if they would want to without guidance.AYP talks of the 'guru within' but whether Yogani wishes to be acknowledged as a guru or not, then his teachings make him so to many on here.Guidance is also given within the forum from many sources but not from one single person.To reach these higher levels needs the care and energies from a realised guru and only experience of such a guru will give you this knowledge.
AYP does not aim to give all the answers but is aiming to make knowledge that will benefit all on a wider scale.The teachings are broken down into as near a westernised version as is possible to make them more appealing and easier to understand.In that I think Yogani has been successful.I have never read that these teachings are the ultimate or intended to be.Very few have the commitment to follow these teachings, even fewer have the commitment to follow KMY.That is each individuals choice and is the way of the world.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  12:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mufad

It has been said that self effort can take you to the door of heaven - but only the guru can open the door of heaven to let you in. Yogani will say – favour the practice, not heaven ;-) but isn’t there a limit to how far self effort can take you ?

Welcome Mufad - Thanks for your post. It's interesting to read about your discipleship, and there are several here at AYP who also are devoted to their guru. I believe that 'the guru is in me', and that this alone will one day bring me up to and through 'heaven's door'. There are precedents - Jesus and Buddha and many others - who showed us how it's done. In answer to your (probably rhetorical) question, I don't believe that there's a limit to how far the Self can take us, as by definition Self is limitless, transcendent, and eternal. I have no doubt that a living, breathing guru is a beautiful thing, and a boon to one's spiritual path. I also have no doubt that, without one, we may uncover the Self and find enlightenment.

Note that Jesus didn't say, "Knock, and if you have a guru, the door will be opened for you."

Edited by - Manipura on Jul 26 2006 12:43:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

mufad

44 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mufad's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
Thanks for the welcome and the insightful response.

What is self ? We have the higher self or god and the lower self or ego. When we have God, there is no little self left, and all is the great self !

When I wonder if there is a limit to how far self effort can take us, I am referring to the little ego self. The limitless eternal self you speak of is different, but until our little self is merged into that, it is only theory and not a practical reality yet. The little self makes an effort to know the great self but it cannot, then the great self smiles upon the little self and there is no longer any separation, the paradox is that there was no separation in the first place ! too much !

>> Note that Jesus didn't say, "Knock, and if you have a guru, the door will be opened for you."

Yes, the door has to be opened by someone who hears you knocking. That someone is the guru. You will find the door shut and all you can do is knock ... Your knocking is asking for the grace of the guru, you cannot push open the door yourself - that is the beauty of it all.

"Knock and it shall be Opened for you"
"Seek and Yee shall find"

Hunger and Thirst - yes ?

But HE is playing with us, there is no self effort at all, because when I surrender to the guru it is he that makes all the effort. It is he that wakes me up in the morning to do my practice, it is he that is the life moving in me, it is he that breathes through me and guides my thoughts. Of myself I am insignificant, weak, little, nothing. He gives me signifance, strength, greatness, everything.

Jai Guru in You,
Mufad.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  3:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mufad
Welcome to the forum

quote:
mufad said
But HE is playing with us, there is no self effort at all, because when I surrender to the guru it is he that makes all the effort. It is he that wakes me up in the morning to do my practice, it is he that is the life moving in me, it is he that breathes through me and guides my thoughts. Of myself I am insignificant, weak, little, nothing. He gives me signifance, strength, greatness, everything.

By surrendering like this are you not handing your power and responsibility to your guru. If you are happy with this how far can it take you?
Will you eventually not need to take responsibility for yourself?

I've nothing against the guru system myself, different strokes for different folks, and I think that's the AYP approach too, but just wondered about the above.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  6:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,
Actually surrender to the guru does not mean surrendering your power or responsibilities.Very few understand the concept of surrender and it is difficult to put into words.Guruji told me that one should look after their responsibilities in life,(family,bills etc)and then the other time is for meditation,NOT the other way around.The guru is only responsible for your spiritual health and is not there to gain anything from your surrender.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you believe with all your heart that a guru outside yourself is necessary, then that is absolutely the truth for you.
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think what is being called "surrender to the guru" may also be viewed as surrender to the present moment. Some may choose the use of a guru in acheiving this, and others may even view the guru as the moment itself.

Of course, many have reached enlightenment without the use of a guru, and others even without the use of spiritual practices. This in itself shows that while the guidance of a great guru can be an infinite source of wisdom and help along the journey, it is certainly not mandatory. Once the individual has completely surrendered to the present moment, there is only that, and all paths lead here (guru or not).

As Louis noted above, different strokes for different folks. And I believe there is room for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  12:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose if you find what makes you grow that's all that matters. Lots of people have moved along with their gurus, and lots of people have not with the very same gurus. That should tell us something.

I'm still half-way through the Secrets of Wilder book, so I may may be missing the point... but is that tapping on the breast bone some kind of a substitute shaktipaat... guru to shishya transference of the knowlege. Or is that just something in the story that will peter out?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
One does not only receive guidance from an enlightened guru but also his energies to aid in purification and shorten the time required on the path.In Dhyanyogi's book 'Shakti, an introduction to Kundalini Maha Yoga' he is asked the question 'What does the guru get from the relationship?'
He replied ' nothing, the guru is there to give not to take'
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  05:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sadhak
Tapping on the breastbone in the novel is only a metaphor for an inner awakening, and is not actually done physically in practice - that's what Yogani replied to the interviewer in this first interview.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am an SRF member also, but get better results with AYP. Many of us find that realization of a greater power outside ourselves serves us well on the path. I don't think it matters much what name you give to that power. Of course, this is what religious wars are fought over. But it is my belief that God can be found in any religion that teaches constant devotion and non-harming of others.
it is the bhakti that drives it all, and as one knocks on the door with bhakti, the door will be opened to reveal whatever purification practices one may benefit from, whether AYP, SRF, or something else.
If you dig into AYP lessons, you will find that it is not necessary to endure great heat and pain to reach God. But if you feel that is necessary, I would not try to stop you from such a path.

However, I would suggest we judge a path by its results, and stay vigilant to make sure we are on the correct path.
I also belong to other groups, and see a lot of people sticking with a particular guru for many years without getting results. They believe they are doing the right thing, and I wouldn't try to discourage them.
They forbid talking about other paths, and would never try anything new. We must each do what we feel is right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000