Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 samyama question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm relatively new to samyama, still in the awkward stage, but nevertheless in awe of its power. My question is this: If I've had one of those frustrating meditation sessions where for 19 of the 20 minutes my mind has been occupied with banal thoughts, should I still proceed with samyama? Seems pointless to do so without having established inner silence during meditation, but I'd like to hear how the rest of you handle this. Thanks.

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, do it.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  06:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg
If I have had one of those meditations and start samyama it usually brings me into inner silence with a wallop.
Don't know why this is, perhaps its because the meditation, although appearing to be non-productive, is, as has been said many times on the forum here, every bit as productive as a so called good session.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  09:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
I have been going through a phase where every session I finish my meditation and my mind says.. Oh! do I have to do Shamyama? And then I start.. and I am totally into it after that. Not sure what is going on?

However, yes, when my meditation has been one of those.. "are we done yet" kind of meditations.. I don't even try Shamyama.. Maybe I should take your advice Louis.. and try it anyway.. maybe it will "bring me into inner silence with a wallop".
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  08:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For the past 2 days.. during meditation and Shamyama.. I have been in kechari.. and I can feel an expansion in me.. a lot of space.. a feeling of being light.. feels very nice. However today during Shamyama.. during the lightness of air sutra I felt a lot of pressure in my neck and head.. like something was moving up and trying to exit me through my head... it was like my head and neck were going to burst.. my heart started racing.. I was hot and sweating.. I tried to continue but it scared me and I backed off... I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke or something. I have been trying to see if this has been talked about before.. there is a lot of stuff on almost all other practices but could not find any thing on this. I have never really felt anything during Shamyama before... always did it as per instructions.. and it felt good... sort of an extension of the peace I felt during meditation..
Could someone share their Shamyama experience here? Also, is it OK to feel pressure and heat and heart racing during Shamyama, or should it be peaceful like meditation and I am doing something wrong maybe?

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 17 2006 11:11:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  09:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's just purification...but sometimes purification can hurt you. My suggestion is back off a tiny bit.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  11:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scott... maybe I should cut back on kechari huh?

One other thing that happened all through meditation and Shamyama... for as long as I was in kechari... I could hear a mantra.. it was very soft.. I could not tell what the mantra was.. but it sounded like a mantra chanting...

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 17 2006 11:11:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's purification too.

I'm so smart. Anything anyone says, I can say it's purification...but it's true. All of these amazing things are just that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000