Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 AYP retreat in Southern Asia?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  06:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Moderator note: this topic has been split from here

Would the leader(s) of the retreat be interested at some point to lead a retreat in Asia as well? Please

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  2:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

Would the leader(s) of the retreat be interested at some point to lead a retreat in Asia as well? Please

I Omsat,

I led this retreat, and yes, I'd love to lead an AYP retreat in Asia. It's quite a big area though, any preference over which country?
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  12:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi and all readers,

Wonderful to hear this..

I'm staying in the Philippines at the moment, so that would be convenient for me; but I doubt whether this would be the best choice for an international ayp retreat as the Philippines are a little distant from other Asian countries and perhaps the interest within the country is limited; are there statistics on the country of origin of practitioners? Visawise and in terms of beauty of the natural surroundings the Philippines are attractive though (visa upon arrival and easily extendable in the country).

India is probably appealing to many (including me)..

Thailand may be relatively easy to find beautiful places to accommodate. Also attractive visawise for outsiders and very convenient country to find one's way smoothly.

I haven't been in Indonesia yet, but imagine this may be an attractive option also.

Perhaps those interested in an Asian retreat and reading this post could chime in and reveal their preference?
If I knew how to make a poll, I could create one..

Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

I Omsat,

I led this retreat, and yes, I'd love to lead an AYP retreat in Asia. It's quite a big area though, any preference over which country?

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

That sounds like a good range of beautiful countries to choose from.

There are stats available for different countries showing how many people visit the website from each country, but I can't remember how to find them? Someone here will know. I recently remember Yogani saying that India was now the second most frequent visitor to the AYP site after North America, so India might be the place? It is also the spiritual homeland of yoga and somewhere that I have done many solo AYP retreats over the years, just renting a small room by a beach.

Finding the country by country stats would be the next thing to do and hearing from anyone else who may be interested.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  4:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Website stats has a list by country:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4975
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  5:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Etherfish, I knew someone would be able to find it.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  07:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Omsat,

That sounds like a good range of beautiful countries to choose from.

There are stats available for different countries showing how many people visit the website from each country, but I can't remember how to find them? Someone here will know. I recently remember Yogani saying that India was now the second most frequent visitor to the AYP site after North America, so India might be the place? It is also the spiritual homeland of yoga and somewhere that I have done many solo AYP retreats over the years, just renting a small room by a beach.

Finding the country by country stats would be the next thing to do and hearing from anyone else who may be interested.

Christi

Hi Christi,

Yes, India seems both a logical and heartfelt choice given the stats and your post. India holds a special place in my heart also..

quote:

Country by country stats for South-East Asia over time period (July 2012-June 2013):
2. India
{11. China (China already has AYP retreats)}
17. Vietnam
21. Indonesia
23. Malaysia
28. Thailand
38. Philippines
46. Japan
50. Nepal

I've only included the Asian countries up to 50 on the list. For a complete overview, see
http://www.aypsite.org/images/AYPsi...12months.pdf

quote:

Would it be good to ask the question in Satsang Café? (I'm not sure whether everyone scrolls down to this part of the forum..)

The question being:
"Who is interested to attend an AYP retreat in Southern Asia and which country is preferred?"
(feel free to adapt)

Thanks Christi for your willingness to lead a retreat in Asia (:)), thanks Etherfish for the link..

Omsat

Edited by - Omsat on Sep 09 2013 08:12:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  2:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

quote:

Would it be good to ask the question in Satsang Café? (I'm not sure whether everyone scrolls down to this part of the forum..)

The question being:
"Who is interested to attend an AYP retreat in Southern Asia and which country is preferred?"
(feel free to adapt)

Go for it!

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

p.s.

On a practical level what would be needed would be to agree on a country, and a location in that country. Then find a venue, which would probably be a retreat centre but doesn't have to be. Then we would need about 10 people to be interested in coming along. Simple really...
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  9:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi and everyone,

quote:

Hi Omsat,

p.s.

On a practical level what would be needed would be to agree on a country, and a location in that country. Then find a venue, which would probably be a retreat centre but doesn't have to be. Then we would need about 10 people to be interested in coming along. Simple really...

How do people find out about the retreats? Is it only through the forum here, or also other ways? In the latter case, how are retreats advertised?

As for the venue, the place would need to have a meditation hall, kitchen, and guest rooms?
I know a couple of places like that which may offer to rent out for a few days in Thailand and perhaps also in the Philippines, but not in other countries at this moment. I mostly know of ashrams in India; these are able to accommodate, but I don't think are ideal for a silent retreat with a group of people doing their personal practices (i.e. are not integrated in the daily habits of those living in the ashram).

I hope someone interested in participating already knows a place so that there is some tangible experience of the venue already..

Omsat

Edited by - Omsat on Sep 09 2013 10:08:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

quote:

How do people find out about the retreats? Is it only through the forum here, or also other ways? In the latter case, how are retreats advertised?

I can only tell you about the retreats that I have led in the U.K. as I don't know how other retreats have been advertised. Most people who come on retreats find out about them through this website, either through the forum or through the link on the top left hand side of all the pages on the site. Some people also find out through word of mouth and recommendation by friends. There is also the AYP facebook page where events sometimes get posted. I also have a website and some people come directly to that site through internet searches. So it is (nearly) all done using the internet.

And yes, for a venue, a meditation/yoga hall, rooms to sleep in, kitchen etc. My experience with ashrams is quite limited, but it is the same as yours, that ashrams are usually not set up to accommodate groups that want to run their own retreats. A purpose built yoga retreat centre would be much better, or at least a venue which has the basics in terms of a meditation hall, somewhere to prepare food and so on.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  11:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can search for centers in India and come up with couple of choices based on online search and then phone calls in couple of days. And I would be highly interested to participate.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2013 :  06:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

quote:

Hi Omsat,

quote:

I can only tell you about the retreats that I have led in the U.K. as I don't know how other retreats have been advertised. Most people who come on retreats find out about them through this website, either through the forum or through the link on the top left hand side of all the pages on the site. Some people also find out through word of mouth and recommendation by friends. There is also the AYP facebook page where events sometimes get posted. I also have a website and some people come directly to that site through internet searches. So it is (nearly) all done using the internet.

And yes, for a venue, a meditation/yoga hall, rooms to sleep in, kitchen etc. My experience with ashrams is quite limited, but it is the same as yours, that ashrams are usually not set up to accommodate groups that want to run their own retreats. A purpose built yoga retreat centre would be much better, or at least a venue which has the basics in terms of a meditation hall, somewhere to prepare food and so on.

Christi

Thanks.. I know enough to raise the question on Satsang café now.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2013 :  06:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swan,

Wonderful..
That you are interested to participate
and
can help with finding a suitable place in India..

Thank you

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by Swan

I can search for centers in India and come up with couple of choices based on online search and then phone calls in couple of days. And I would be highly interested to participate.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  02:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swan

Hi Swan,

That's great. Let us know what you find.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  03:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000