Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 God versus science
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, Read this on a reiki forum and thought it was funny as well as appropriate.
God is sitting in Heaven when a scientist says to Him, Lord, we don't need
you anymore.
Science has finally figured out a way to create life out of nothing. In
other words, we can now do
what you did in the 'beginning'."

"Oh, is that so? Tell me..." replies God.

"Well, " says the scientist, "we can take dirt and form it into the
likeness
of You and breathe life
into it, thus creating man."

"Well, that's interesting. Show Me."

So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil.

"Oh no, no, no..." interrupts God,

"Get your own dirt."

L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 04 2007 12:21:06 AM

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That one I like

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  5:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a bumper sticker:
"Darwin Loves You"

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Oh no, no, no..." interrupts God,
"Get your own dirt."

LOL! Very funny!

There's a deeper message in there about a deeper vision which reconciles Science and Religion. If the essence of dirt is God (and it is), why are we imagining the guy with the beard as being in competition with the dirt for being considered The Cause?

All forms are made of the formless essence, no forms are supreme. The god sitting in his heaven is an imaginary transient formation of the supreme dirt, just as is the Scientist.

Pass the dirt. I'm hungry.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  12:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Get your own dirt."

My poor English doesn't work for me here.. What does dirt mean here? Faeces or what?

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Jul 09 2006 12:18:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  12:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, just earth, clay, mud. The idea is that the scientist is using real dirt, which is God's dirt, which already has the divine potential for life. The scientist cannot do what God did in the beginning, despite what he says, because it is God's dirt (and thereby God) which does the job.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 09 2006 12:24:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  03:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ic.. interesting. But it doesn't make much sense for me. I guess this story has a Christian background in it, and in that story the mug become life only after God breath life into it......the difference between mug and life form is THE focus of God's power, at least it is so traditionally.

Ok...story doesn't have to make sense, anyway.

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Jul 09 2006 05:19:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  10:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes sense about it is that God made life from nothing.
The scientist in the story is saying he can do the same thing, and yet he is starting with soil from the earth, which already has God in it because it is a creation of God.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  12:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000