Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Milarepa's Cave (lucid dreaming)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste All,

Since I've read some of the recent threads of individuals receiving Darshan from spiritual masters, through their dreams, I thought I'd share the most vivid and highly detailed dream sequence of my life. In fact, it was so acutely HYPER-REAL, that I am still to this day, deciding if it actually happened. Was it not genuinely real, on some level or another? After all, what is the nature of reality? How do we, as dreamers, decide which is an illusion and which is the truth? So, to encapsulate the event and make it easily readable, I will highlight the important details alone.

As with all lucid dreams, one becomes fully aware that one is in fact dreaming. So, this in essence, is a state whereby we understand that we are not awake in the ordinary sense, yet, we are aware of being conscious within a dream state. That's when the fun starts! I frequently have lucid dreams, as I always have since I was a small child. This one was different, though. Arguably, it was shaped by my own mind... but there seemed to be a higher power at play. It happened in 1984 or 1985 and I still recall most of the intricate details and the changes to my conscious-awareness, that took place so clearly within the dream sequence. And so, I begin the tale...

I found myself standing alone in darkness. I didn't know where I was... but I knew it was outside, as I heard the whistling wind and suddenly felt quite cold. Snowflakes blew against my face and I could see the vague presence of enormous mountains, all around me. I instinctively knew I was in high up in the Himalayas. Odd, I thought to myself, why was I here and how did I arrive so instantaneously? Wasn't I still asleep? I knew that I must be dreaming, and yet, it was so realistic a sensation, that I was confused about much of the nature of the experience. To this day, I am unable to confirm to myself if it was actually real or simply illusory. Much like our daily life, eh?

As I gazed up at the partially obscured mountainous peaks, I became aware that I was not really alone. I could feel the presence of two other beings, one on either side of me. At that moment, the clouds parted dramatically, revealing a full moon. In the bright moonlight, I could make out the quite familiar forms of Sri Swami Yukteswar and Sri Swami Paramahansa Yogananda. I didn't stop to think that they were both deceased (by mortal standards), for they were both looking directly at me, as if they knew something that I did not!

Sri Yoganandaji spoke to me in English, with a strong Bengali accent. "Awaken from your slumbers, my child, for we are undergoing a great journey together." I was somewhat confused. I thought to myself, who me??? But I am just an ordinary person, maybe devoted to my sadhana and all... but hardly an enlightened soul or anything remotely like that. Honestly, I felt quite unworthy to be in the presence of two such high masters, as these spiritual giants.

So, I voiced my sincere feelings to Sri Yoganandaji. "But Gurudev, I am not worthy to join you and Param-Gurudev, on any Himalayan journey. I am still very crude, spiritually speaking." And I really meant it, too. Why me, when I felt I was obviously not ready or deserving for such a special gift?

He smiled beatifically and spoke these words, "True, you do not yet realize that you are a Divine being but we see you for who you really are, not for who you confuse yourself to be. We see only Brahman within you. We all share this Sacred Being, though we need to discover this truth, this living presence for ourselves, each in our own unique way."

I could feel Sri Yukteswar staring fiercely at me, though I dared not gaze back at him. His noble continence was sphinx-like and regal. I was admittedly insecure to look into his eyes. The force of his wisdom was palpable and pulled on my attention, magnetically. The moonlight mystically shone brightly upon his noble features. As I slowly turned my face towards his, I was almost floored by his intensity! His steady gaze was fixed and most penetrating.

I instantly thought of his nickname, "The Lion of Bengal", as he was most leonine and an immensely powerful individual. I thought I might just melt, right there on the spot!!! Yet, in his unwavering glance, I saw no stern judgement nor any kind of recrimination. It was as if he saw not my human flaws, my myriad samskaras... but my truest spiritual nature (residing deep beneath the husk of my material self). In this cool clarity, I felt a very profound and embracing force of unbound love!

This could have gone on for an eternity... and I would have been overjoyed to have had the experience, yet, there was some tugging feeling, hinting of a purpose that I had yet to understand. I was there for some reason and it was not yet clear to me. We were going higher up into the mountains and for the life of me, I had no clue as to how we could accomplish such an impossible feat in the wintery storm. The snow had began to increase it's ferocity and the frigid winds were howling rather threateningly.

I noticed that these high masters seemed oblivious to the frigid temperatures and the biting wind. Sri Yoganandaji seemed to sense my observations. He calmly said, "Do not be afraid of the cold, child, for you are an infinite being with absolute freedom from all material limitations. The power of God will keep you safe and warm. You need but believe this and it will become so."

Suddenly, I felt the painful chill dissipate gradually and my shivering subsided. It was true! Though I knew not what clothing I was wearing, if any at all, I knew that I was not in a down parka, wool cap and heavy pack boots. A warmth gently spread throughout my body and I was wholly invigorated.

He and Sri Yukteswar then began to purposely move forwards, towards the mountainous peaks. They beckoned me to advance with them and each offered me a helping hand. How lucky was I? It was sheer bliss! I was walking hand-in-hand with two of my biggest spiritual inspirations. Almost immediately, I noticed that the powdery snow was nearly waist deep. I was trudging along, struggling to move in step with these great Kriya Yoga masters, whereas, they were lightly walking ON TOP OF the drifting snow, as if completely weightless!

I pleaded with them to help me, as I was waist-deep in the snow and couldn't pull myself out of the drifting snow fall. Sri Yoganandaji laughed at my plight and said these words, which I will never ever forget, "Lift your self up by your own thought. Focus your intent and rise up to meet any challenge." I stubbornly replied that my body was not light enough to do so and I had no Siddhis at my disposal.

He then retorted, "What is a body? How do you define your own body? The material shell is created by the mind and the will of the Atman. You are naught but Atman. While the physical self is bound by the laws of nature, the soul is eternally free of any bondage and limitation. You are not the mortal vessel, you are the nectar within it! You can do anything you allow yourself to believe you can do. Know this, for you are composed of Spirit, not of mere matter alone."

It dawned on me that everything we perceive is within the parameters of our own mind. We truly ARE what we think. Existence itself is a play of varied frequencies of thought. Almost like bands of mind vibration, each denser or subtler than the ascending or descending band of mind-vibration, right next to it. Or are they really more like transparent membranes seeming to divide this and that? All is an idea... and all ideas stem from the primary point of all being, the Supreme Godhead!

With that brilliant degree of Gnosis, I stepped gently up onto the fluffy snow. Almost as if I were climbing invisible stairs, I lifted myself on top of the snow drift. Occasionally, I would falter in my belief and so, being to sink into the chilly fluff. But a knowing nod from Sri Gurudev would bring me consciously back into the focus I needed to spay wholly buoyant. I seemed to understand that I was not walking on the drifting snow at all. I truth, I was walking on a field of pulsating energy, an unseen plane of a seemingly, immaterial reality. It was a paradigm shattering moment for me.

Hands held together, we three silently walked steadily up towards an unknown destination, higher up in the immensely foreboding mountains. Oddly enough, I still didn't ask where we were going, as it was enough to know that they held the key. even today, I am thrilled to the core at the memory of this journey.

I could now see my feet clearly, clad in my cotton Tai Chi shoes. I was apparently wearing only my cotton yoga pants and a loose-fitting T-shirt. I assumed we would locate a barely accessible cave and I would spend some time there, working on some secret spiritual techniques or perhaps, dir3ectly receive knowledge of some hidden methods to awaken my conscious-awareness to the higher realms. I was so thrilled that I cannot accurately put into human words what I was feeling, at that sublime moment!

I began to notice that when I gazed at the pristine snow, it was iridescent and self-luminous. I could see rainbows refracting within the crystalline flakes. Was it always so or had I shifted my focus so intensely that I was seeing all of this phenomena through an alternate lens of perception?

Yes, I was definitely seeing through my awakened Ajna, perceiving the light radiating within the appearance of this dream world of Maya. The innate effulgence was pulsing along quietly, as it always is, unnoticed by most of our species (caught up in worldly accomplishments). It was truly a blessing to experience this unique epiphany, while accompanied by two of my biggest meditational inspirations.

I could go on and on and on... but for the sake of the story's progression, we did indeed have a destination to reach and it took us an astonishingly short amount of time to ascend the steep heights of these Himalayan peaks. Without speaking, Sri Yukteswar pointed to a tiny flickering light, higher up above us. It was obviously a campfire burning within a cave or a hidden recess in the daunting, frozen cliffs.

When we arrived at the mouth of the cave, Sri Yoganandaji turned to me and said, "We are here dear child, you are now about to enter Milarepa's Cave. He is a fully-realized, anceint Tibetan sage and tonight is a special meeting of similar, divinely realized masters. But do not be afraid or hesitant, my child, for this is your destiny." Before I could deny my worthiness, they both dissipated completely into the cold night breeze! Say what? Now I stood alone before the entrance of the cave. GULP!!!

It seemed an eternity of uncertainty.... as I hesitated at the entrance way. Why was I invited to Milarepa's Cave? I wasn't even a Tibetan Buddhist. I could see the roaring bonfire within, smell the smoke and incense, thick in the hot air. I took a long, deep breath and stepped forward. Oh boy... here I go! What greeted my eyes will never fade from my fragile memory. There were thirteen sage-like figures seated cross-legged, sitting in a circle around the blazing bonfire!

Ah shucks... I have to leave for work now. I guess this will have to be part #1 in a 2-part story. OK? I will post the rest when I get home tonight.

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

Edited by - Govinda on Jun 02 2013 6:30:08 PM

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  12:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Gang,

I'm home again and eager to finish the tale. Granted, I left out a number of details and impressions... but for the sake of brevity, I offer the condensed version to your fine folks. While it was certainly a lucid dream, it was one of the single most powerful lessons I've yet encountered. It changed me in ways I didn't even understand at the time. So, back the climax of the dream sequence. Thanks so much for bothering to read these words.

Well, as I said, I stood before the opening of the cave and stepped in to see a scene that still rocks my mind. There were 13 human beings seated around the roaring fire. It was not an ordinary bonfire, as the flames were blue (but of course). I looked at each of these spiritual masters and observed their features and characteristics. There were many culturally diverse people seated together, with a singular focus aimed deep within the roaring blue flames. I saw quite an assortment of dignified souls. Several men, some women. There were a group of masters assembled. Yogins, Lamas, a Buddhist Roshi, Native American shamans (North and South American), a Sufi Pir, a Sikh Sant, a Jain sage, a Christian monk, an Australian mystic, a Siberian shaman, and others that I can't even properly define, etc...

Honestly, I didn't recognize these people. But as my gaze circled the illuminated group, I saw Sri Mahavatar Babaji amongst them. My heart almost burst with joy!!! He lovingly met my eyes knowingly and I was again filled with the same bond we had shared together.

At a certain point, I saw Milarepa himself. He was quite emaciated and looked weathered and quite ancient. His gaze was even more intense than Sri Yukteswar's! I trembled before his presence. He seemed to question why I was even there, without needing to say anything verbally. Truthfully, I had no answer for him. Really, just why was I there? I was only an observer, not a participant in whatever ritual they were creating together. But I held his penetrating gaze and opened myself to his spiritual teaching. I fully surrendered to his Darshan.

I received a number of telepathic messages, in a rapid-fire manner. It seemed these these high souls were directly responsible for the well-being of the planet and it's many inhabitants. They prayed for the upliftment of humanity and countered much of the disharmony and negativity, that the illusion of the time-space-continuum unconsciously creates. It seemed as if they were shaping the destiny of humankind and this planetary body's future. Wow... it was quite an idea and quite amazing sight, at that!

I will note that there was one person that I could not see clearly at all. This human being was so advanced, that I couldn't really hold my gaze upon him. All of the other masters seemed reverential to this being, awaiting it's affirmation and consent. I instinctively knew that it was the Avatar of this present age. It was Maitreya in the flesh. It was Kalki incarnated to illuminate our species. It was Christ arisen to bring the Light into this material plane of existence.

All I could make out was his radiance and effulgence. No facial features nor any definitive form was discernible to me. I was very, very humbled before such a truly Divine presence!!! All I could think... was that we would all indeed be saved from total destruction and the madness of our disharmonious behavior.

Suddenly, it all seemed to make perfect sense. I was here to see that such wonders do truly exist and always have existed. We are not alone and we will never be apart from Sacred guidance. Sigh... such a beatific release!!! The Light and the Word have become accessible for us and we are the ones who will bring them to this world,each in our specific way. I was filled with a euphoria I cannot come close to describing.

And mere seconds later, I was awake in my bed. struggling to read the dial on the alarm clock, back within my dream of sentient existence. To this day, I am inspired by this highly lucid dream sequence. I hope something of value can be found from it's fantasy-like content. While it twas but a dream, it changed the way I perceive of this earthly life and shifted my awareness to subtler frequencies of energy and thought. To this day, I honor it's sublime message.

Namaste to you, One and All!

Edited by - Govinda on Jun 02 2013 12:21:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  01:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the growing edges of my experience is discerning the powers of spiritual eye contact. In that light, I offer my gratitude for your beautiful narrative of lucid dream darshan.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2013 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Beautiful dream Govinda thank you for sharing ..

Edited by - parvati9 on Jun 02 2013 12:20:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

mukti

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"All things are real that here are only dreams" Sri Aurobindo

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Govinda,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us here at the forums. I've found your stories to be inspiring and reverently written. A real joy to read.

quote:
Originally posted by Govinda

We all share this Sacred Being, though we need to discover this truth, this living presence for ourselves, each in our own unique way."

quote:

The Light and the Word have become accessible for us and we are the ones who will bring them to this world, each in our specific way.

I found these lines (bolding mine) to be particularly poignant as they reflect a lesson I've had to learn and nearly had to be beat to death (figuratively) in order to "get"... I am very stubborn.

In the past, I would have read a post like this and felt that I must be lacking in some way since I have not had an experience like yours. And then I would spend some amount of time trying to replicate your experience for myself. For most of my life (and I intuite that this is a common human experience... hell, many religions are built on this principle) I've felt the need to "match" my path with those I revere... I felt that in order to "get to where they are," that I must tread in their footsteps. So much suffering and frustration was experienced over not being able to replicate the journey of the ones I'd put on a pedestal! But having learned that every one of us must come to the truth in our own way and that no journey is more valid than any other, there has been a relaxing into "present moment awareness."

That said, being present with each moment has not always been (for me) what I had imagined it would be. For example, three hours ago I had inner ear surgery. In the past I would have run (mentally) during that experience... gone off in my mind to somewhere more pleasant. But "running" is no longer an option on "my" path. This surgery was probably the most traumatic thing I've ever experienced. I realize I'm rambling here, but... I have tattooed my ribs, elbow ditch, into my armpit, my fingers, neck, collarbones, stomach and much more... I have pierced both my nipples, both my tragus', my tongue, my nose, my conches and more.... I've broken dozens of bones, been in countless fistfights, jumped off 70 foot cliffs on my snowboard, and was an IV drug addict for years... and the trauma experienced by any of these events does not even remotely touch the trauma that was experienced while being fully present with inner ear surgery. I'm not sure why this particular experience was so disturbing, but it now has to be investigated right to the bottom... that is "my path." I sometimes still wish my path was to get darshan from Babaji.... But that has to be investigated to the bottom too.

Anyway, sorry to drone on there... Thanks again for the beautiful posts.

Much Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  11:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wishing you a peaceful and speedy recovery from your ear surgery, Carson.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx for the kind words, Folks!

@Carson, I wish you health, happiness and clarity, above all other things. And I have also had very, very, very profound experiences while undergoing surgery, dental in my case. I've had impacted wisdom teeth pulled, a number of root canals and broken teeth pulled out. I've even had to pull-out 2 of my own teeth, using my jewelers pliers (without any anesthesia or pain killers), and the pain is literally beyond any accurate description!!!

And like yourself, I used to astrally project to get the heck away from the sheer agony. But recently, I have stayed present within the central fulcrum of the pain and experienced it as deeply and excruciatingly as I am able to. You are a most wise soul to see the value in such a practice. When we are centered and awake, we live fully and in so doing, we touch the Sacred. Let's face it, this material form we inhabit is a fleeting dream, if we must discuss the true nature dreaming. It knows hunger, satisfaction, desire, pain, pleasure and at times, even waves physical euphoria... but when we release our attachment to the cycle of polarities, we find a far deeper, more harmonious balance, an everlasting peace.

As Yogani insightfully says, peak experiences and Divine ecstasy are not the goal of our sadhana, integration and equanimity are (if we must desire to have any worthwhile goals for our Sadhana). While many schools of spiritual thought emphasize escaping from the limiting confines of this physical incarnation, it is perhaps wiser to learn to be FREE while contained inside of this fleeing human vessel? IMHO, true Moksha seems to begin when we accept the nature of this passing illusion and integrate our transcendent epiphanies with our ordinary work-a-day lives. I myself believe this is so.

I humbly feel that the peaks do inspire us to awaken and in so doing, lean to intentionally shift our conscious-awareness and effectively transmute our energies into higher frequencies of understanding. Arguably, the real work happens with both feet on the ground and in the midst our daily challenges within this material paradigm we exist within. Hence, real Yoga is the union of the containment of the relative, within the unbound expanse of the Absolute. This takes focused dispassion and demands equally, the transmutation of the human ego. Sri Babaji Maharaj is as much right HERE & NOW, as he is above and beyond. Right?
As Christ beautifully said, "Behold, I am making all things new."

When we find that the Guru is everything, everywhere, I/you/we/them... and always has been and always will be... we are wholly at one with this Omniversal phenomenon. Heaven is present in this very moment. Our job is to remove the blinders from our perception, which blocks this deep remembrance. Yes, it is a remembrance, for we were all issued from the Holy Word and are wholly composed of the Light of Lights. We have been sleeping and dreaming that we are something other than God. So, I have come to believe that the most vital aspect of the life of a human being is to intentionally return to the state form which we originated, thus realizing we have never truly left Nirvana, we had only accepted our mirages for reality. Silly people that we are!

Sure, it's the highest high, to witness the resplendence of the Avatar awakening immanently and directly within oneself, but more valuable is the awareness of this present, living moment. Now is all that there is, all that ever was, all that ever will be. When we arrive to this single moment, fully and consciously... we have effectively fused our spirit within the Unified Field of Being. There is nowhere to go and nothing to do, for all is being done of it's own spontaneous nature. For my own journey of discovery, it is most important to know this as the truest self... a self centered within the ever-changing substantiality of the insubstantial. this is where all the scriptures lead us, where all the prophets and sages point towards. Attunement is not a form of escape, it is the ultimate freedom.

May we all dream ourselves into a clear awakening, each in our own unique way, at our own specific pace and individual meter. For in essence, we are all the same Omniscient being, all of us the same Supreme reality behind the myriad appearances and multiplicities in form. I offer my sincerest blessing to you all and honor your Sacred identity, as that of the Infinite Spirit of Brahman.

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

Edited by - Govinda on Jun 04 2013 10:29:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  11:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Govinda for sharing your dream! Very inspiring and moving to me :-) It was as though I was there with you, experiencing it all vividly.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  12:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bodhi, Govinda for the well wishes. I can't hear much (sometimes a blessing with two young kids ) and there is still a lot of "backpressure" in the ear canals, but there's been a reduction in the amount of pain so hopefully this means we are headed towards recovery now.

quote:

I have also had very, very, very profound experiences while undergoing surgery, dental in my case. I've had impacted wisdom teeth pulled, a number of root canals and broken teeth pulled out. I've even had to pull-out 2 of my own teeth, using my jewelers pliers (without any anesthesia or pain killers), and the pain is literally beyond any accurate description!!!

Well sir, you must have cohonies of steel. I've never even had a cavity, but I had my wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago and I wimped out and took the "sedation dentistry" way... and I paid for it. An entire year (or so) of working through the energy blockages that the Versed (Midazolam) lodged in the system. This was actually one of the experiences that helped me to learn that "running" from anything is not an effective strategy for growth.

quote:

And like yourself, I used to astrally project to get the heck away from the sheer agony. But recently, I have stayed present within the central fulcrum of the pain and experienced it as deeply and excruciatingly as I am able to. You are a most wise soul to see the value in such a practice. When we are centered and awake, we live fully and in so doing, we touch the Sacred.

Absolutely agree. "The Sacred" was definitely touched during this surgery experience, but what I've come to understand is that "The Sacred" can be experienced (and later interpreted) in infinite ways that span the entire spectrum of human experience. For me, on this particular human journey, it seems that "my path" is to experience "The Sacred" through difficulty, struggle, pain, frustration, and darkness. It seems that I have to go "all the way to the bottom" in order to rise to the top (so-to-speak). In fact, the second awakening experienced here (the first was drug induced and resulted in a dropping of my religious path) happened as a result of a failed suicide attempt. This is when inner silence was first experienced and what instilled the bhakti to go on with this human existence. There were many years in which I felt that this was an "invalid" experience of the Divine because it happened out of complete confusion and immense suffering. But now it is realized that each path is unique and no journey is any more valid than any other.

quote:

As Yogani insightfully says, peak experiences and Divine ecstasy are not the goal of our sadhana, integration and equanimity are (if we must desire to have any worthwhile goals for our Sadhana). While many schools of spiritual thought emphasize escaping from the limiting confines of this physical incarnation, it is perhaps wiser to learn to be FREE while contained inside of this fleeing human vessel? IMHO, true Moksha seems to begin when we accept the nature of this passing illusion and integrate our transcendent epiphanies with our ordinary work-a-day lives. I myself believe this is so.

I do too. For me, rejecting anything, including this physical incarnation (illusion or not), is a form of "bypassing" and leads one in circles only.

Most of my "peak experiences" have been the result of heroic doses of entheogenic substances and although these were transcendent experiences that held valuable insight that lead to future expansion, for many years I also felt that these experiences must in some way be invalid because most in the spiritual community say that these experiences are indeed invalid since they were externally prompted. I've come to understand that, for me, not only were these experiences valid, but they were actually helpful in bringing me to this moment now. And embracing this created fertile ground for the release of the need to feel external validation of "my path."

quote:

May we all dream ourselves into a clear awakening, each in our own unique way, at our own specific pace and individual meter.

Amen.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Govinda,

The story about your dream was very well written, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Love

Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  12:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I do too. For me, rejecting anything, including this physical incarnation (illusion or not), is a form of "bypassing" and leads one in circles only.

Most of my "peak experiences" have been the result of heroic doses of entheogenic substances and although these were transcendent experiences that held valuable insight that lead to future expansion, for many years I also felt that these experiences must in some way be invalid because most in the spiritual community say that these experiences are indeed invalid since they were externally prompted. I've come to understand that, for me, not only were these experiences valid, but they were actually helpful in bringing me to this moment now. And embracing this created fertile ground for the release of the need to feel external validation of "my path."

Love,
Carson

Just a thought on entheogens and whether the spiritual experiences are valid or invalid. On one hand, they are wholly dependent on the chemical effects of the Sacred Medicine utilized for the shift in realization. And on the other hand... most realization is equally dependent on a direct catalyst. NDE, OBE, spontaneous kundalini, severe emotional trauma, sleep deprivation, austerities, fasting, chanting, scientific yogic practices, pranayama, the electrifying touch of an advanced Sage... or any number of powerful catalysts, can awaken a slumbering soul to the indwelling presence of the Supreme Being.

When I wore a younger man's cloths, it was psychedelics that initially amplified my perception of the Godhead. Only after embracing their respectful usage, did I even understand what meditation was or how to awaken the kundalini and taste the nectar of Samadhi. It's a dangerous path to tread, though. Pumping 10,000 amps of juice through a nervous system that is not yet developed enough to withstand such a force, is a risky thing to do.

Sure, it is assuredly a temporary degree of partial Samadhi and then we return to ourselves and all of our many samskaras... but I feel that it has led many sincere people to the spiritual path. It can also damage a lot of unprepared folks, who don't know what is happening within their own biological system and most surely, cannot control the tremendous forces released from such overwhelming encounters.

So, there is obviously no black and white ultimates about psychedelics, for they are both a poison and a medicine. Even the Rig Vedas speak repeatedly of Soma and it's a fact that the earliest spiritual practices of the Aryans involved the use of entheogens for higher attunement... since those times, the emphasis has arguably been on scientific methods and yogic training, since those ancient days.

That being said, one cannot tell a native shaman that their Sacraments are "invalid", as this would be utter nonsense. And while IMHO, the best way to merge within the Divine Field, is intentionally passing through immersion within vortex of direct God-realization. Only through steady and gradual meditational practice, much contemplation and deeply sincere self inquiry, do we maintain the high frequency of mindfulness. If our attainments are dependent on external prompting... we ought to question their transformational effects and seek more lasting avenues of heightened perception.

Yet, I feel that once we open certain doorways, we cannot close them and simply go back to our delusions. And in this light, once a soul goes through such dramatic shifts in conscious-awareness, they will certainly re-visit these levels of expanded existential being (and naturally at that).

More than anything else, entheogens are of worth if and only if they teach us to find these levels and planes of higher conscious-awareness, within our own selves. We needn't go anywhere or do anything... we are already symmetrical aspects of Divine Mind and are no different than the God that created us (out of itself). We are all the very same energy, dancing freely throughout the many changes that the seemingly isolated life of a human being goes through, in it's journey of spiritual awakening.

Tat Tvam Asi

Edited by - Govinda on Jun 12 2013 11:06:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  10:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2013 :  5:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting.

All my dentistry is done without medication. A little Pranayama and a reminder that pain is really only a message, albeit a strong one, succeeded in removing all pain, leaving only physical sensations of Pressure and vibration - right down to the roots.

To tread the sharp edge of a sword
To run on smooth-frozen ice,
One needs no footsteps to follow.
Walk over the cliffs with hands free

Mumon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000