Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Adyashanti's True Meditation Practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone:

I stopped doing the afternoon meditation sometime last Summer, and I've been periodically trying to add it back in to my daily practice, but so far with no success. I still do my morning routine after I get the kids off to school, which consists of asanas (sometimes), 5 minutes of Spinal Breathing Pranayama, 15 minutes of Deep Meditation, 5 minutes of Samyama, and at least 10 or 15 minutes of rest.

The morning session, while it does knock me out, doesn't really impair me in any way. But when I do the same routine in the afternoon, I get really "high." I haven't experimented with recreational drugs, so I don't know if it's the same kind of high as you get with that, but I'm definitely impaired. I feel spacey and giddy, and it feels like every cell is alive and vibrating. It actually feels really great, but I don't like it. I can't run meetings, pick the kids up from after school activities, run errands, and fix dinner when I'm all goofed up like that.

I came across Adyashanti's book, "True Meditation," and decided to give it a try. Does anyone have experience with this sort of non-method of meditation? I just sit there and don't do anything at all, and whatever comes up comes up. There's no focus, no agenda, no technique, and nothing appears to happen with it, although I do feel better afterwards. I've been doing this for 10 minutes in the afternoon. So far, I haven't gotten high and I haven't needed to rest afterwards, so it's kind of perfect for those busy afternoons.

Does anyone have any experience to share or thoughts or recommendations?

All the best!
--Liz

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  4:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz,

True Meditation is a practice I use all the time, but not as a sitting, focused thing. Often, it is used during other activities like driving, cooking, working in the yard, etc. While I have not tried vipassana, it seems pretty similar in that we just let everything be as is, without manipulating any of it (mantra and breath focused meditation practices are manipulating in-the-moment experience by bringing attention to the point of focus..). I have a tendency to drop into inquiry almost automatically, so it is sometimes hard to let everything be.

True meditation works superbly well with AYP practices IMHO. However, one can experience overload with any spiritual practice, and it can be of delayed onset. I'd watch for it..

Much love.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  10:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adyashanti's True Meditation = the natural state of my functional, creative, contemplative mind as I wander through the world, regardless of whether I'm sitting, driving, making love, or intensely staring at a tennis ball moving at rapid speed before I strike it with a racquet. Be the witness. That's all.

In terms of True Meditation as an actual "practice", it's a passive practice because the technique relies on just kind of coasting in the witness state--with no refining of an object.

To quote Yogani from http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....IC_ID=11091:

"The difference between residing in a foggy state (favoring that) and favoring the mantra, is that favoring the mantra is progressive, going to quieter states on mind, into abiding inner silence, whereas favoring foggy stillness goes nowhere. That is the difference. It is the difference between "do nothing" forms of meditation and effective meditation with mantra. Deep meditation with mantra is progressive, going ever deeper into inner silence. This is also why 20 minutes of deep meditation is more powerful than hours of do nothing meditation, and why we are educated and attentive about overdoing, utilizing self-pacing as needed, grounding in daily activity, etc. It is a powerful practice."

Adyashanti's True Meditation is a "do nothing" form of meditation. Therefore, the risk of overload is significantly less, but the opportunity to penetrate deeper levels of the mind is also significantly watered down. The epitome of Passive vs. Active.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  11:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz,

I was recommended Adyashanti among a few other books, and the one I happened to sample (I do this before engaging any book or works) was 'true meditation.' Now my tentative and uninformed opinion is that there were a few too many contrasts in the way it is all introduced or marketed. Granted it is in the nature of dualism-language to imply something negative when promoting something else (the contrast). An example that hangs in my mind is even in the title, which stands up by differentiating itself on the basis of other 'false or flawed non-meditation techniques' as opposed to free-standing of its own merit among a collection of approaches. Other books introduce subjects without these stark contrasts, so it's no surprise that such first impressions determine which get sample priority. Such contrasted approach is also actually a norm established in certain other systems I've dabbled in in the early days which was appropriate then and there but no now longer resonate. This all might be vague, but it's the only way to express my positive regard for many different approaches while also clarifying that some to me are no longer suitable. Just sharing these thoughts, if not much else.

Also, it sounds like wonderful results from your practices, even though it may be over the top for now. Curious how breath meditation, 'true meditation,' or self-pacing/grounding works out in integrating what surely has got to be higher energy flows.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the responses!

I'm going to give Adyashanti's approach to meditation a whirl for the afternoon session and see how it goes. I need a way to recharge the batteries that doesn't make me incapable of dealing with hot stoves, sharp knives, and driving. The high I get from the regular AYP practice is actually perfect for dealing with teenage daughters, but in the same way that a big glass of wine is perfect for dealing with teenage daughters. Ooch, they drive me to yoga! (That was meant to be funny, in case it made no sense.)

I agree that the approach is passive, but it doesn't feel foggy or dull to me. It's just kind of a sense of open curiosity. Cultivating that openness in a formal sitting practice might be just the thing for me. I seem to have control issues. I caught myself getting upset at the grocery store because this guy wasn't bagging my groceries the way I like. When I noticed the upset feeling and the reason for it, I just had to smile. I thought to myself, "Let the poor man bag the damn groceries, Liz!" He probably thought I was nuts for having this stupid grin on my face.

I've tried breath meditation, but it feels weird to me. My nose, lips, and palate start to tingle after a few minutes of keeping my attention at the opening of the nostrils. It's kind of uncomfortable. But maybe I'm not doing it right....

I'll give it a try and report back in a few months. If I can keep the afternoon session going after almost a year of failing to do so, that will be a big plus.

Lots of love to ya!
--Liz

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  03:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
(That was meant to be funny, in case it made no sense.)

Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  04:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i expect you to sink to the foundation of your being liz.

get on with it, there are plenty of hell realms that need purifying, lets work on them.

lets get the hell out of here.

joe
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  11:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Whippoorwill,

I have not heard about this true meditation before (so thanks for the topic ) but have done it a lot.

As I turned out to be super sensitive, often there are times when I can not do a mantra meditation due to overload issues, and somehow i did not like breath meditation very much. At such times I have done this meditation, which actually has been "this is all i can do now" meditation

My experience is that this is (definitely milder than mantra meditation) as powerful as the breath meditation in my case. Both silence and conductivity wise, this kind of meditation also is inviting a lots of purification, and opening new grounds. So I would say if you are not feeling alright for the mantra meditation, you can definitely give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swan!
Thanks so much for sharing that! It's definitely encouraging. The meditation feels powerful to me as well, and I'm still able to go on about my day afterwards. Double bonus! So for now, it's AYP in the morning and Adyashanti in the afternoon.

Hi JosephUK!
You expect? Well, I enjoy being contrary.

Where is the foundation of my being? I can't find it.

There was a time when I would have agreed that the world is a messed up place and I need to do my part to fix it, but I don't see things that way anymore. I'm content to make my discoveries at the grocery store and be available for my kids as they figure out adulthood.

Lots of love!
Go to Top of Page

adinatha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, unless there's some pranayama and bija application of some sort, my monkey mind starts rattling.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  10:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz

I go to a zen meditation class each Sunday, and it's basically the same as Adya's True Meditation, and also I tried this type of meditation alone using his instructions. For me it is less powerful than AYP, and there's more of an inquiry going on since the thoughts go on and I can watch them. Also there's ecstatic conductivity going on at times while doing it. I find that sometimes I can go very quiet and peaceful with it, and I feel less like I have been "hit with silence" (like I do with AYP), if that makes sense, and I don't have to lie down for some time afterwards to rest.

It might be the perfect thing for you for the second meditation of the day. Also with the breath meditation, you might like to try focusing on the belly, how it rises and falls, then you may not feel the tingling sensations. Just a suggestion.

It seems like you have figured this out anyway, Much Love!!

Edited by - Yonatan on May 17 2013 10:40:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  12:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yonatan! Thanks for sharing that, and thanks for the tip about putting the attention in the belly instead of at the opening of the nostrils. I'll give that a try.

All the best!

Hi adinatha! I do start with one or two rounds of spinal breathing (1 round = 1 inhale + 1 exhale) just to settle in. After that, things are amazingly quiet.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is just something i have noticed with myself. Samyama has proven to be to much, I overload on one cycle of it. I also notice a lot of folks having issues progressing when all they are doing is SD,DM and Samyama.

Have you tried just doing SD and DM morning and evening? How did that work out? Have you ever been able to do both morning and evening sessions?
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  3:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Liz,

After a few years of carefully self-paced, twice daily practice of AYP (which caused massive openings for me), I suddenly found I just couldn't do AYP anymore. I still can't, the overload symptoms result in me feeling very disengaged from life.

A period of intense self-inquiry & awareness practices (such as Adyashanti's True Meditation) early in 2012 was followed by a very blissful, joyous and freeing experience in which "identification with form" or the "separate self" or the "ego" or whatever you like to call it, broke down. The hard sense of being a disconnected entity, governed by an agenda of self-interest, dissipated for a while.

It was great, very freeing, and I've never quite been the same since (just a lot more joyful all the time, and less inclined to suffer in any way!)

There are enlightened sages who will talk about no practice & staying fresh, and enlightened sages who will talk about the importance of structured practice and so on.

It's only the mind that says "well one point of view must be right, and the other must be wrong, because the two views seem to be contrary". In my experience, while they are apparently contrary, that doesn't mean one view is wrong and another is right. They are just different approaches, and certain approaches may be right for certain practitioners at certain times.

By looking into our own hearts and intuition we'll find if what we need right now is hardcore, structured practice like deep meditation (which serves a very powerful purpose), or is it to be very fresh and favor just the subtlest hint of practice or inquiry (or No-Practice, which is what True Meditation is, i guess) or spiritual desire.

I still can't do AYP anymore, either I get too wildly ecstatic or totally disengaged from life. In fact, I can't sit at all to meditate in any way, for more than 2 minutes. The only practice I can do now is to simply notice awareness, just spontaneously, when I remember to do so. But this simple practice is enough to live a very happy life, almost entirely free from suffering (at least suffering of any intensity or significant impact), in which I'm able to do my best to grow and improve, while just revelling in the pure, peaceful sense of simply existing/being/I Am. For me, that's all that is needed right now.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  6:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr. Anderson!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I've paid close attention to Francis Lucille, Rupert Spira, Greg Goode, and Adyashanti (mostly because of your recommendations ). I've heard them all say that as long as you feel a sense of separation, then there is still work to do. If you feel like there's a person on whose behalf you're acting, you can't lie to yourself and say there's nothing to do because there's no one here.

I feel very much here. If you ask me to point to my "Me" sense, I'll point at my gut, even though I know that it's a fictitious self living there. "I" am aware of the "me sense." I think the "me" sense might also be a feeling in the body as much as a belief in the mind. (Sometimes I wonder if feelings are thoughts registering in the body rather than in the mind.)

I had one fleeting glimpse of simple experience with no "Liz" there to make it happen or experience it. It was very short-lived, and I can't remember it well at all.

Since then I've been trying to discover the unconscious beliefs that are contributing to this felt sense of separation.

I think I still believe that there are objects made of matter, and that awareness is located in objects. I also seem to still believe that sensing is necessary in order for awareness to be. For example, I cannot see how my fireplace can be aware. I have a gut sense that neither belief is true, but I can't disprove them to myself. It's not enough to listen to the teacher say that there is only awareness; I have to come to that conclusion myself. And I don't know how to do it.

The only option I see is to inquire into "who" or "what" is experiencing this thought or feeling and whether some thought revealed to awareness is true. Life has been teaching at a rapid pace, but I still wonder about this sense of separation.

I'm sure all that is contributing to the overload as well, but I can't seem to leave it alone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000