Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Overloading from Office Work???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  3:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste all :)

I recently started a position working as a travel agent and I've been in the office a lot lately. I've noticed I'm having something similar to overload symptoms. Not so much the "spaciness" that I get from doing too much practice, but more like an incredible increase in awareness and energy and frequent periods of feeling blissed out and intoxicated.

I know that correlation does not imply causation, however I am associating the office with my symptoms because today I had off and I've been home doing some cleaning and I am not having those symptoms I've had all week.

First of all, I am not used to working in an office setting. I never even thought I'd be able to sit for a few hours in an office! For the last 3 years I worked at the learning center in a college where I was constantly on my feet running around from student to students teaching them physics, math, chemistry etc. and before that I was in college myself. For the last few months before this I was getting training done to start working as a yoga teacher and tantric dance instructor. So I actually haven't worked in an office setting since I was a teenager (and that didn't even last a week!)

By the way, I know I am not overloading from practices since I have cut out all AYP practices about a week from starting this position (as I was overloading with a lot of the spaciness and emotional sensitivty symptoms from only 1 session a day of a few minutes of SBP and 20 minutes of DM.)

I do want to start my practices again though, I'm thinking about just incorporating maybe 10 min of DM once a day to start with and see where I go, but I was just wondering if anybody has had similar issues?

Is this office work causing overload? Or is it because my energy is so high and it's not being used up like before? If so, should I stay away from starting practices again?

Thanks and namaste,

Jessica

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  02:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Jessica
no the office work is not causing the overload...
you say you have stopped all ayp practices one week before starting this new job...sometimes after stopping all practices,overload needs several weeks,sometimes few months before things calm down
for now i suggest you do NOT resume your practices at all
wait until things really calm down...and when you feel an inner call to resume practice start with 5 min of DM and see how things evolve...
if mantra meditation does not work with you (oversenstivity to practices) you can switch to breath meditation
see lesson http://www.aypsite.org/367.html
and know that you need to ground your energy, so office work is the best thing for you now
TGIIY

Edited by - maheswari on Apr 06 2013 02:46:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  02:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I also feel it same way since the last year, and mine has been a sitting job always. but on weekends, or when I am on leave - the energetic experiences are much less noticeable. During office days, the energy movements or overload symptoms (when overloaded) are at its peak around the noon.

My explanation is, this is the lack of grounding activities in an ordinary work day with sitting job, where the excessive energy does not get a outlet, and comes to the surface and as we are sitting there, you notice/feel them more clearly. This not the work that is overloading, but the lack of grounding activity in the routine that brings those stuffs to the surface. But when we are constantly running around (whether for work or just an outing), doing cleaning job, or doing other physically active work – the energy gets an outlet, or it stays under the surface – and we do not notice/feel it that much.

I generally try and live with it, and keep in mind to have some grounding during the day - I keep poking my colleagues for a game of table tennis or two in the office, I walk to and fro office, and based on need I add asanas to my routine.

PS: I am highly sensitive to the practice. Since starting AYP, I have spend more days self-pacing than doing full practice . I think it is wise thing you have done to revise the practice after changing the job.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  02:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari we cross posted
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  03:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes dear Swan
true office work is not as grounding as doing more physical stuff
yet in an office you have to deal with people, solve problems ...ie it is a way to ground and to stay involved in the world...so dear Jessica stick to your job since its available , notice the tension rising while you are doing your work and know that the tension will pass....also in an office you can always get up, walk around a bit, go outside for few minutes get some freash air ...

Edited by - maheswari on Apr 06 2013 03:08:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  8:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
try making sure you relax your legs and base of your spine, let the energy flow down to there and relax . . . feel the ground under your feet and visualize your energy sliding down to there. I work in an office and find that tension can build up but this helps. Also I take a break once in a while and walk around, shake out my legs and loosen up. When concentrating or sitting for a long time, the tension builds up in my lower back. Standing, planting my feet and swinging my torso side to side help loosen this up, along with some breathing. The mental concentration can build up energy for me (I do computer programming). Also I used to do the corpse pose for a long time every night before bed and after a long time I became better at relaxing muscles while standing as well.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  10:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

....also in an office you can always get up, walk around a bit, go outside for few minutes get some freash air ...

Yes, i know a guy who works at a corporate office desk, and every hour he goes outside for a brisk walk for "medical" reasons. Low blood sugar or something. His boss has no objection; it would probably be good for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  7:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I wanted to say that upon further analysis, I think the overloading is being caused by the extra driving + listening to music I've been doing lately. And of course the office work isn't helping.

I can take extra breaks, but even if I go outside for 3 minutes I have to clock out. If I had the amount of hours and the pay that they promised me when they hired me it wouldn't be such a problem, but I'm still "training".

On a side note: I've been trying to work with grounding techniques for the last several weeks and they don't seem to help much, especially the visualizations. Maybe I'm not focused enough or doing it long enough? I tried a grounding visualization meditation not too long ago and I started getting a lot of energy building at the base of my spine so I stopped out of fear of going into an intense kundalini explosion in front of the people I was with.... The only thing that seems to help is eating a lot of red meat and sometimes intense physical activity outdoors.

Namaste,

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  10:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Physical exercise indoors works too. Try doing a slow one legged squat- it burns energy like crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  3:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BellaMente, for a number of years before I found AYP, I practiced deep relaxation in bed at night before sleeping, it was called "Corpse Pose". This involved laying extremely still and intentionally relaxing my muscles from the toes up through the body. I found that it helped me learn to relax my muscles consciously, to a degree. Now when I need to relax tight legs or back I can take the edge off the tension by breathing in, then breathing out with my eyes closed while imagining dropping the weight of the tension down through the floor. I think the practice of "Corpse Pose" helped me develop that.

I don't have a link to the original "Corpse Pose" I learned as it was in a book called "Yoga for You" by Indra Devi.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2016 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First, nearly all books on asana discuss how to do Savasana (aka Corpse Pose), so good instructions are not hard to find. A Google searrch for "Light on Yoga" by Iyengar should turn up an earlier edition which is out in a free pdf.

I don't agree that the energy Jessica feels at work is necessarily bad or to be avoided. I sometimes feel this at work, and I associate it with moments when work is good, ideas are flowing, my efforts to solve problems are successful, and generally the state of "flow." At work all of my effort is self directed, barring some "minor" supervisory hassles. At home it is sometimes this way, but families are interactive and one's time is less one's own.

Jessica, maybe your new job just has moments that you like and where you are highly capable. I'm not sure you have a situation that needs to be fixed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000