Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How do you subscribe to forum threads?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KundaliniTherapist

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit KundaliniTherapist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Sorry if this is a daft questions. It says in the forum FAQ that you can subscribe to threats etc by pressing certain icons or subscription links. But try as I might I can not find any of this.

It seems very laborious to go through all the threats where I have posted to see if someone has answered.

How can I subscribe - and can you be precise as I seem to be blind.
thanks

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  1:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kundalini therapist,

As far as I am aware subscriptions for all the forums are turned off at the moment. What you would have seen in the FAQ page is this:

quote:
Yes, the Subscription feature allows you to subscribe to the entire Board, individual Categories, Forums and/or Topics, depending on what the administrator of this site allows.

The best way to see if someone has posted in a thread that you are engaged in is to click on "active topics" at the top. That will give you a list of all the topics that have been posted in since you last logged on, and you can see if there are any new posts in threads that you are following.

The subscription feature was switched off to avoid clogging up people's inboxes.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

KundaliniTherapist

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  05:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit KundaliniTherapist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi
thanks for answering. Did you know that we are virtually neighbours? I live near Okehampton - you must come round for tea sometime. We are trying to develop a retreat centre here at some point.

About subscriptions: it would be so much better if there was an option to subscribe, so that people can chose whether they want an email alert or not. I am writng on and off on at least 15 forums (all sorts of topics) and it would take me a huge amount of time if I had to go manually into each of them to see if I have received an answer.

So, is there a place that I can make that request to a moderator?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KT:

There are tech resource reasons why the email subscription feature is turned off here. We tried it once a long time ago, and not only did it send piles of emails to those who were signed up, but it slowed the forum down too. That's part of why we added the RSS feature that displays the last 25 posts - see the orange icon in the upper left corner of the page, which can be bookmarked. But Christi is right - "active topics" (on the top menu) is preferred by many here, which can also be bookmarked for quick access, and has better navigation than RSS. Among other things, it can also be "dialed back" for any time period desired.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Christi
thanks for answering. Did you know that we are virtually neighbours? I live near Okehampton - you must come round for tea sometime. We are trying to develop a retreat centre here at some point.

I'd love to come round for tea.

I'll PM you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  10:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: There are services that will email you RSS linked reports. Here is one: http://www.shootthebreeze.net/blogalert/index.php

The AYP RSS forum feed link (from top left icon) is: http://aypsite.org/forum/rssfeed.asp

A Google search on "free RSS email alert" will bring up a bunch of RSS email services. None of them have been tested here, so good luck and let us know how it goes. AYP aims to bring you less clutter, not more.

TGIIY
Go to Top of Page

KundaliniTherapist

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit KundaliniTherapist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani
I am a diligent forum contributor as most of life's problems seem to be get solved cheaply and effectively that way. My experience is that the subscription option makes it a lot easier for everyone.

On all the other boards you only get one email alert if someone replies and no further until you visit the forum again. And you can always switch your subscription off.

I think you would get much more participation here if that was an option as people will be able to come back to the forum much more easily and won't forget it so quickly.

If you have a techy person I think it may be well worth giving this another try.

Anyway, just my humble opinion. If you are happy as things are then that's of course fine.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  8:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a couple ways you can check threaDs easily, if you don't want to click 'active topics' like we do:

Bookmark the thread in a special folder starting with 'A' for a name so it is on top. Or copy and paste the url into a text document or shortcut on your desktop. Also to make it click-able, email the URL to yourself, with the title in the subject line.

Alternatively, come here and click on your own user name. It will show where you have recently posted.

Hope this helps, because I don't think we will do subscriptions.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by KundaliniTherapist
On all the other boards you only get one email alert if someone replies and no further until you visit the forum again. And you can always switch your subscription off.

In teory, yes. In practice, some sites continue to spam you umpteen times a day even after you've opted out from a thread...
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  02:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by KundaliniTherapist

My experience is that the subscription option makes it a lot easier for everyone.

I think you would get much more participation here if that was an option as people will be able to come back to the forum much more easily and won't forget it so quickly.

I'd have to agree here. There's no real way to get a notification just for posts you've started or you are active on. I would be fine with RSS if it did that. In fact, I prefer RSS every time :)

The active topics page is nice too, but notification about specific discussions you are participating in would be a welcome addition. I'd be here more if I got notifications that someone replied to a thread I followed, commented on or started.

</2ยข>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000