New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I have been meditating for about 4 months (AYP deep meditation for one). Over these past few months I've been noticing a side effect that's been starting to annoy me a bit lately. I can't make smalltalk with anyone. I just get bored of the topic unless its actually worth discussing/important. I don't mean this in an egoic way, in fact its bothering me. On the other hand, I save a lot of energy over needless arguments/discussions, so thats always a plus. Anyone else had these experiences?

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  7:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the opposite effet : I was unable to do any smalltalk, and now I can do it with anyone : friends, colleagues or strangers met in the street.

I find pleasure in smalltalk because I was before focused on the interest of talk, and now I'm appreciating more and more the simple fact that I'm bonding with people, even for a few minutes and with no need to build a strong relations with them.

It's just energy and information passing from one pole to another pole, basically. Smalltalk is the form it takes, but the real enjoyment is the underlying exchange.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I need to wait to see the effects you described?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  7:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm like apatride, I enjoy saying something that is not meant to be discussed or important at all. It is just meant to express something that I observe as I walk by somebody, that they are probably observing too.
It usually causes them to say something and have a little feeling, which people like. It's fun. People have a shield up against strangers, and if you do this they usually drop it, and feel like you are on their side.
The trick is never refer to them, only something you both observe; the weather, somebody acting strange, whatever,
it doesn't matter, and people feel at ease when they feel it doesn't matter because they relax.
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  8:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good start for smalltalk is to ask questions to your interlocutor. Make them speak about them, what they feel, their experiences. Ask them to develop the details you are interested in. So you get to know them and you can relate to shared experiences or feelings. But in all cases, you can do long smalltalks without speaking much yourself
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AK,
You are not alone..
Here is one of the many topics where people have talked about not enjoying small talk any more. It is a phase and it will pass.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12250
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  9:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I went through this phase, even remarked to my best friend once that small talk really IS small. Never wanted to be bothered hearing people go on and on while I just smiled and nodded to look interested. I never liked the idea of such mundane conversations... I like to go really deep with people. But these days it has nothing to do with how intellectually deep the conversation gets, as long as I'm entertained and they're entertained, even when it's such a goofy conversation like how awesome sloths are. It's all about having a good laugh sometimes and bonding in that way.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...n9o1_500.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  10:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love sloths.
A couple years ago near here, they found bones of a ground sloth that was 10 feet long, and weighed 800 pounds,
along with bones of mastodons and mammoths, at the Snowmastodon project.
But the earliest sloths in North America, 2.2 million years ago, weighed 5 tons and were 6 meters long, with foot long claws. That's bigger than an elephant!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eremotherium.jpg

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 26 2013 10:26:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean Sid is dead??!!!

Sey
Go to Top of Page

apatride

New Caledonia
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit apatride's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean Sid was 10 feet long and weighed 800 pounds??!!!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  08:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is Sid?
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Small talk gets in the way of a lot of serious progress, yet, there are simply times when it must be done.

Edited by - Goodway on Feb 27 2013 09:16:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed both sides of which you are talking
Sometimes I'd rather enjoy the subtle feeling of silence I got to through sadhana and sometimes the practice just makes me want to share my happiness (which makes smalltalk more lighthearted and beautiful)
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Who is Sid?

You really don't know Sid?

Yeah I agree with others, it's a phase. I went through it myself, but it got a bit boring after a while, so I started making conversation with people. You'll find that it's a joy just talking rubbish to someone.

I heard on the radio that women say 13,000 more words than a man, a day. So if you are a man don't feel too bad. A woman said "Well of course we talk that much, we have to repeat ourselves at least twice because the man hasn't listened the first time." So true.

Edited by - woosa on Feb 27 2013 11:39:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

I heard on the radio that women say 13,000 more words than a man, a day. So if you are a man don't feel too bad. A woman said "Well of course we talk that much, we have to repeat ourselves at least twice because the man hasn't listened the first time." So true.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Who is Sid?

Small talk is dead
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:
Who is Sid?

Small talk is dead

Thanks for that, I didn't know who Sid was either.
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  4:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sid is a Sloth! In the movie, Ice Age.

Can you tell I have kids?

Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33. I agree with the great advice above. The impatience with smalltalk will pass, and you'll enjoy shooting the breeze with someone just because they're there and it's all vastly entertaining.

Until then, if you're around people who don't like silence and like to fill it up with smalltalk, just ask them questions about themselves. Maybe something they say will tickle your fancy and get you talking.

Edited by - whippoorwill on Feb 27 2013 4:50:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  7:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

Sid is a Sloth! In the movie, Ice Age.

Can you tell I have kids?

Thanks. Yes, Sid does appear to be a ground sloth, although they made him closer to the 800 pound baby than the five ton kind! Today's sloths are tree sloths, something probably not enjoyed much by the five ton animals.
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  8:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a sloth, in real life! Or is that too ridiculous? And here the door is shut!
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL I never knew sloths were that huge! And funny it was mentioned here because my friend was sending me all these funny pictures of sloths (she does it all the time ) and this one was synchronistically hilarious for me...

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/51...23274544.jpg

For those of you who don't know Sid, please go watch Ice Age it's such a classic and Sid is incredibly funny.
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chaz

LOL I never knew sloths were that huge! And funny it was mentioned here because my friend was sending me all these funny pictures of sloths (she does it all the time ) and this one was synchronistically hilarious for me...

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/51...23274544.jpg

For those of you who don't know Sid, please go watch Ice Age it's such a classic and Sid is incredibly funny.

Heh, since my kundalini arose, I've probably had about 10,000 synchronistic happenings. (Not tooting my own horn, here.)

Sid is a very cute character, and John Leguizamo plays some fantastic roles with a high amount of psychological diversity.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by apatride

Do you mean Sid was 10 feet long and weighed 800 pounds??!!!

Maybe he ate the mammoth??

I love Smalltalk !
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  12:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, there's been such an abundance of synchronicity since I began meditating... I wouldn't wan't it any other way, I LOVE that feeling of connection and harmony it brings. It's always a friendly reminder that there IS a higher intelligence guiding everything, and even the simple things have a greater purpose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000