Yoga, Career and Money
 the new non-profit, etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  9:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This thread takes up where the last one ("soap opera") left off: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12517

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement! This sangha is so precious to me.

Here's the latest: As mentioned previously, my town is economically depressed and the for-profit yoga studio just wasn't really working out now that the price of yoga classes in town has dropped from $15 in 2009, to $5 or free at present. But I still want to teach yoga, as that is why I am here on earth, and I've had so many potential students contact me who simply could not afford it (as well as those who had to drop out due to losing their jobs, etc.) So I decided to form a non-profit organization to teach yoga on a donation basis.

As it turns out, the easiest and cheapest way to do this is to be a church, which does not require formal paperwork in the U.S. (If I were going to pursue the federal 501c3 formal non-profit corp. status I would need a lawyer, which I have not been able to find one yet.) As a church we can legally accept donations and run the non-profit out of my house. I am already a minister (a Sister in the Community of Francis & Clare) and my ministry has not been very active the last few years.

I have begun working on the website, and last night I dug up our liturgy from Francis & Clare which is a "transdenominational," "creation-centered" approach which is kind of a mixture between Anglican and pagan. I haven't had the opportunity to do ritual/liturgy in a while and am really looking forward to it, once the house becomes available (in June), where we will also offer yoga/meditation classes and spiritual retreats.

I was encouraged recently when I received a VERY generous donation from someone here at AYP (THANK YOU!!! )

Since I won't have a salary from the non-profit (unless/until it really gets rolling) there remains the question of how to make a living, and it looks like "psychic" (tarot reading) is it for now. I guess I had hoped to find a more "respectable" job that did not involve playing "fortune teller," although apparently I am good at it, and I DO enjoy the job. Psychic Source and Hollywood Psychics are going pretty well but low-paying. I also plan to give Keen another try, where there is a much greater income potential.

Meanwhile, good news, a friend who is boarding her (now 3!) horses on my property wants to buy the 2.5 acre parcel and become my neighbor. She could not get a loan, but her grandfather, who also gave her a third horse, has offered to co-sign. If that happens I can pay off all my debts, including the mortgage on the house, which would free up a lot more of my resources. If not, she will still need to board her horses which will be enough income to pay for food for my horses.

Also my husband was able to qualify for food stamps, and his child support case was reviewed and they decided to lower his payments, which gives him a better chance of paying his taxes, a big relief.

So it appears that my feeling "everything will work out somehow" is validated despite what appeared to be overwhelming odds against us. It's neat watching all this unfold from the Witness standpoint.

More importantly, however, the incredible Love of God continues to blow me away and fill me with unfathomable Bliss no matter what else is going on. I look forward to being able to teach more people yoga so that they too can experience That!

Will let you know when the website is finished.

Again, many thanks to all my dear friends at AYP for your help and encouragement, I love you so much! xoxo

Edited by - Radharani on Feb 20 2013 9:40:10 PM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  02:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  03:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The new web site is up: http://www.francisandclareyoga.org/
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  06:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck to you dear Radharani.

Much love
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  02:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami

Good luck to you dear Radharani.

Much love

thank you, dear!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Radharani,

is working in "normal" jobs and doing the yoga teaching in parallel not possible?

There are many advanced yogis, who work in any work and in the evenings give a yoga class or at weekends. It is good karma yoga aswell in that way + the practice sessions get greatly balanced through that kind of work.

This body-mind here feels like any kind of work that is needed in practical terms, like in the food branch or help/service branch for needy or sick people would go fine with you. It is surely more work, but this more work is also very good for everyone.

The contact with more people in all kind of situations and environements increase and the sharing of the godly love and joy that flows through your body-mind makes the whole town more and more happy :)

Practical and simple work has also the great advantage, that not much of the mind is needed, so more bliss-presence can shine through without getting in conflict with the work, even blissing out everything more and more =P

Just some different perspective :) Soemtimes the dirty and harder work is more helpful than the classical teaching or offering of sophisticated mind-technology-services like reading the future.

Something eternally good in you knows what is best for you and your situation to blossom to ist best version of happening. To the experience of this body-mind, if the daily practice continues, than sooner or later all things get in godly order, not necessarily getting easier for the body-mind, but from the inside out totally fulfilling.

Wish you all love :)
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  12:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Hi Radharani,

is working in "normal" jobs and doing the yoga teaching in parallel not possible?

There are many advanced yogis, who work in any work and in the evenings give a yoga class or at weekends. It is good karma yoga aswell in that way + the practice sessions get greatly balanced through that kind of work.

This body-mind here feels like any kind of work that is needed in practical terms, like in the food branch or help/service branch for needy or sick people would go fine with you. It is surely more work, but this more work is also very good for everyone.

The contact with more people in all kind of situations and environements increase and the sharing of the godly love and joy that flows through your body-mind makes the whole town more and more happy :)

Practical and simple work has also the great advantage, that not much of the mind is needed, so more bliss-presence can shine through without getting in conflict with the work, even blissing out everything more and more =P

Just some different perspective :) Soemtimes the dirty and harder work is more helpful than the classical teaching or offering of sophisticated mind-technology-services like reading the future.

Something eternally good in you knows what is best for you and your situation to blossom to ist best version of happening. To the experience of this body-mind, if the daily practice continues, than sooner or later all things get in godly order, not necessarily getting easier for the body-mind, but from the inside out totally fulfilling.

Wish you all love :)

Dear Holy,
I take it you haven't read the whole story. That's ok, I'll catch you up:

That is exactly what I had planned to do with the cleaning & design business which I opened in October! I was quite happy to go to people's houses and clean their toilets. I worked as a maid when I was a teenager and I very much enjoy manual labor, in fact I prefer it, especially as you said, because of the bliss factor - I like to chant japa silently while working [not an AYP practice]. It seemed like a fabulous idea! But, I was unable to get any business despite massive advertising, so I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I did consider stocking shelves at Publix, but the nearest store with openings was a 2-hour drive away.

As explained earlier, jobs here are few and far between and pretty much all minimum wage. There aren't really any jobs in town that I could do that would pay the bills, including the gas to drive there (I live way out in the boondocks). From a financial standpoint I would still need to keep the night job to make ends meet, but realistically I could not do both.

In any case, even if I could find one, I probably couldn't keep an 8-to-5 "steady job" due to health considerations. I am allegedly "permanently disabled" and was put on SSDI in 1992 in CA, and lost my SSDI when I moved to FL. I've managed to recover to a remarkable degree using holistic medicine, to the point that I can take care of this farm and work 3 part-time jobs including teaching yoga and pilates! However, I still have good days and bad days, and an immune deficiency which precludes working with the public.

I am actually trained as an M.A. Psychologist, but my Ministerial Counseling license is not legally valid here in Florida. Thus, the "psychic" job is the closest thing to actually working in my field. It gives me the opportunity to counsel a lot of people and it is very rewarding work, helping people through their difficulties and letting them know that they are Loved. (yes, it is indeed possible to share that Love over the phone, distance is no obstacle!) Although it is part of the job, I don't emphasize predicting the future; only when they insist. I gently encourage my clients to focus on what they can do here and now, rather than worrying about the future.

I feel really good about the work we will be doing at Francis and Clare, Lothlorien House! And because I am a minister, and the House is a church, I can get around the state psychology licensing restrictions, as FL does allow ministers to practice counseling in their own church (but nowhere else).

One of the advantages of the "psychic" job is that I am an independent contractor and can set my own schedule to an extent. And since I am working at home (about 400 feet from the church building), I will be able to schedule yoga students and counseling clients as needed. So, I trust that this arrangement will allow me to benefit the community while fulfilling my vocation as a yoga teacher.

My teacher would prefer that we teach yoga full-time, rather than having to spend most of our time and energy doing something else to make a living, and ideally that would be my preference also. But, we must do what we can, and under the circumstances I think my plan is a very reasonable compromise.

Thanks for your input! Lots of LOVE to you!!

Edited by - Radharani on Mar 01 2013 03:10:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am very happy for you that things are working out

Much Love!!

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fingers crossed, and all the best!
_/\_
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  7:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Yonatan and HathaTeacher! Yes, things do work out - one way or another.

Something I forgot to mention about CFC Lothlorien, that I am excited about: We will offer blessing of same-sex unions using the new Episcopal ritual. Here in the Bible Belt there is a LOT of discrimination against gays and they often feel that they have nowhere to turn, and they are constantly being told that God hates them. The Metropolitan Church does perform these blessings, but they are specifically known as "the gay church," which is fine, but personally I feel like why should someone have to attend a church based on their sexual orientation? I mean, everybody should be welcome (which they are at CFC). So part of our mission is LGBT outreach and blessing of unions. The unions will not be legally recognized as "marriage" in the State of Florida (yet!), but at least they can have the commitment ceremony and the celebration for their families and friends to attend.

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks again, all my dear friends.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000