Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Distracted by breath stopping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lsmithbco

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  4:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing the deep "I am" meditation for a few months now and have reached this stage where my breathing slows way down and/or gets really shallow or stops. I get scared and then distracted by this. What is happening? Any helpful suggestions for handling this?

Thanks.

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  6:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's good stuff. Deep Meditation slows down multiple processes in the body: breathing, metabolism, digestion, heart rate, etc. Stillness isn't just an abstract idea--it's a reality that's reflected in the body/mind.

I think Parahamsa Yogananda or one of those bad-ass yogis once said: "Breathlessness is deathlessness."

The only suggestion for a distraction such as discomfort with the cessation of breathing is: easily favor the repetition of the mantra. That is the magical technique. So, if it's difficult to come back to the mantra because of this fearful sensation, you can let your awareness linger with the feeling until it dissipates. Just like a pronounced feeling of pain, or a persistent thought-stream, this scenery will pass, and its place, only stillness and the effortless refining of the mantra will remain.
Go to Top of Page

lsmithbco

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Than you. It's helpful to know this is a normal part of the practice. Can anyone give me some science to reassure me? Like "such and such part of the brain regulates breathing whether or not you are focused on breathing. And this part of the brain remains active during meditation, ie, it is not shutting down and I don't have to worry." I think it would help if I could tell myself something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice article and study about the neuroscience of meditation:
The benefits of meditation - MIT News Office
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/...on-0505.html

I heard them MIT people know a lil' somethin' about that science nonsense...I do reckon.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  7:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ismithhbco,

if the breath stops this is good practice feedback for you, but if it gets too long too often and you start seeing negative health problems like no blood in the skin, tiredness etc. then its better to self pace the practice and decrease the length of DM a bit.

And yes, the sentence comes from Hariharananda, a direct disciple of Yukteswar and Yogananda =)

Over time the body adapts more and more to breathlessness without any side effects, but it takes time. Means it takes years. So if the breathlessness comes too early too much, regulate the practice. It came too early here aswell and the body couldn't cope, now it can handle longer times without problems, but its still beginner level ^^

As long as the heart beats, its still beginner level =P No need to push, make it a smooth and healthy transition, the body will be thankful :)
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  3:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are experiencing breath stoppage during the first few months of meditation I wouldn't pay much attention to it. It is an indication of a block of some kind surfacing and the process of it being cleared (purified).It should resolve itself naturally in time without any efforts on your part. The brain regulates breathing naturally through the brainstem and you need have no attention to it at all. You breathe when you are sleeping don't you? This is really nothing at all to worry about and comes and goes from time to time. I would not confuse it with the "breathless state" of samadhi which is also quite harmless as well. Just make sure that your sitting position is comfortable, don't exceed a reasonable time limit and practice regularly. All will be well. If you find yourself passed out on the floor, then I would have reason for concern but otherwise just enjoy the process!

Edited by - Victor on Sep 25 2012 3:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000