Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Brain Wave Entrainment vs Traditional Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vantagepoint

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  10:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,

I am wondering if others have views on how the two approaches compare in terms of benefits to the individual.

It seems that both these approaches lead to some sort of inner journey and scientific studies point out that many of the benefits are similar such as concentration, enhanced learning, relaxation and relief from anxiety and stress.

Brain wave entrainment in a sense is an effort to reverse engineer meditation by effectively trying to entrain on brain frequencies that we see with mediators EEG analysis.

It would be nice to hear from people who have tried both approaches and how do they compare in your view.

Important question is that could brain entrainment lead to the same growth of stillness and the rise of the witness from within. I am wondering if Yogani being a life long seeker has tried the entrainment approach or otherwise has any opinion?

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vantagepoint

Short answer: no (my opinion, of course)

I say this because the audio is engineered by people who do not know what brainwaves are needed to create inner silence. The only person who does is you. By meditating we are cultivating our own inner silence in our own way; our nervous system dictates the purification process. External audio can't do that.

I tried quite a few in the past and it does help you get into a relaxed state. However, it's not natural, it's like you are co-erced into a relaxed state. I would say they are good to get you motivated into starting your own practice, other than that I wouldn't bother.

When you meditate with the mantra you will have different sessions, all of which help in cultivating inner silence. Audio is external whereas meditation comes from inside.

Hope that made sense!
Go to Top of Page

vantagepoint

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your views. Sound is one of the means to entrain a more stronger means to change brain waves is photic (light based) stimulation. Then you have the devices which use both to entrain.

I can see that AYP meditation has a certain aspect of developing will and concentration which may not happen with entrainment. However there are other ways to meditate. To use Buddhist terms i do not think brain entrainment can fully compensate for Samatha type meditation but Vipassana type meditation may perhaps be possible which relies on the rise of the insightful witness.

Would be glad to hear from others too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000