New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  12:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
[This topic has been separated out by moderator into a topic of its own]

I find that people often post their experiences during meditation here. Is that helpful for all concerned? For the time that I pursued the system as per the Guru-shishya tradition, we were almost forbidden to discuss experiences with anyone, with the reasoning that a practitioner's experiences are of no use to another practitioner other than to feel good or bad about the experiences, which of course is counter-productive. But doing the practices yourself in an open forum, you do need feedback on what something means, or what it is indicative of. So is it desirable for the AYP practitioners to discuss experiences at times... ?

Edited by - n/a on May 29 2006 10:40:26 AM

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak,
Yes, experiences are simply experiences.My understanding of not speaking of them in front of other students is so that those who have different ones(and don't we all)do not begin to have expectations of what should be happening.No one persons experiences are correct where others are not and one needs to be mindful not to get into that way of thinking.Experiences are not a sign of higher levels but are simply experiences.Western minds are more questioning and require more answers.We are not brought up in the culture where one simply does the practice as instructed.If you are following a system that safely awakens the consciousness then questions are not required, nor answers but of course many want answers.I have had this arise with my students where they get disillusioned because someone is getting experiences they are not, and then I have to tell them that the inner changes are more important than the outer experiences.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadhak,
You are right.. we have always been told.. do not discuss your experiences with others.. the reason being no two people will have the exact same experience and when I hear about the wonderful experience someone else had and I did not.. I may feel I am not good enough..

You see Sadhak, there are advantages and disadvantages to this.. the disadvantages are.. in the beginning we expect to see or feel what the others are seeing or feeling.. and that can be bad.. But being in an online community.. where you can voice your doubts and be constantly reminded .. these are a part of the scenery.. not the destination.. don't hold on to it.. don't expect it.. don't crave it..etc.. you learn to accept it as just that.. a part of the scenery..

Advantages are..We learn that this is not our destination.. this is just a part of the journey and we have to move on.. not hold on to these visions and feelings.. if we did not discuss it.. we may have got stuck at that one vision.. I see a star.. hey lets stick to that.. that must be it.. lets meditate on it.. lets make it more real..

Also, some of these visions and feelings are down right disturbing.. and being able to talk it out helps us accept it and move on. In my meditation group, one of the ladies came in one day and said.. she was too scared to do meditation any more.. one day when she opened her eyes after meditation she saw a face staring at her.. it scared her real bad, without resting she got up and had the most miserable day after that.. We just told her it was a lower being and assured her there was nothing to be scared of.. this helped her get over the fear and helped the others understand that if ever they do experience something like this.. treat it like a distraction and go back to the mantra. Another member had the most awesome meditation for the first week.. the next week she could not even sit through 10 mins, she was so disturbed.. We could go over Yogani's lessons and assure her this was not permanent.. once again.. by talking it out we helped each other.. there are some more.. but I don't want to bore you with them.

Times have changed.. you can no longer tell someone.. OK this is what you have to do.. so just do it.. the way our society is now.. with education.. we need answers to our many many "Whys?"... is it good.. don't know.. but if we don't get answers, will we be satisfied?.. so we share and discuss.. and in a few months we realize.. hey no matter what we are asking here.. we are all getting the same answer.. stick to your practice.. don't get attached to your experiences.. and Self pace. It takes a little time.. but finally we reach the same point we would have if we were not allowed to discuss this.. I think.

One more thing that our old traditions were based on was.. first get self control then you can proceed with your meditation and spirituality.. not asking questions would be a part of this.. but with AYP we start with meditation..
In another post I had said
quote:
The beauty of AYP is.. you don't have to start off with detaching yourself from things and then start your sadhana. You start your sadhana and then detachment follows automatically. Then detachment is not an imposition.. it is a pleasure.. it is a part of your true self... it comes naturally..
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1136

I hope this helps you a little..

Edited by - Shanti on May 29 2006 10:27:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sadhak,

I think Shanti explained it very well. We discuss experiences here in a controlled way, rather than forbidding it outright -- it's almost necessary for the reasons Shanti mentioned.

Also, there is very little discussion of experiences for the purpose of bragging here. The culture here tends to make a bragging attempt unsatisfactory.

Regards,
-David
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is my wish for you to feel comfortable saying what you would like to say, asking what you would like to ask. The act itself can be a way of acceptance and positive growth.

Peace, alan
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  2:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You've hit upon a deeper issue.

AYP, like all spiritual systems, is essentially simple. It's patently pragmatic and utterly unintellectual. There's not much to talk about. So most discussion in these forums will be about the stuff you CAN talk about: experiences....which are complex and interesting, though nothing more than smoke and vapor.

It's intrinsic to AYP that we pay scant heed to experiences. So there's a dab of contradiction. Plus, experiences are contagious. So there's a dab of risk. Plus issues of envy (I had a pang of resentment a few days ago when folks were talking about minty fresh feelings in the digestive system....why don't *I* have that merit badge?). But, mostly, the more we talk about this path, the more we move away from it (the mind objects to that statement, because the mind always seeks to increase its hold via reason and modeling...even with endeavors seeking to decrease its hold).

There's a reason why historic gurus were so famously impassive when you try to ask them questions. Questions get asked and answered in the realm of mind. They strengthen the analytical striving mind, and fasten us more tightly to maya. Really, the answer to just about anything is meditate, let go, and open up. But a forum where that was all anyone ever said would be pretty boring.

My tack, as you may have noticed, is to try to mirror back. As someone who fights hard against a tendency to think I'm on the verge of transforming into something really divine and holy and god-like each time an energy wave burps up, I try to remind people that we're not seeking to attain....just to clear windshields. It's often stated (and correctly) that AYP is nothing new...just a repackaging and sequencing of the same-old practices (of course, it's a helluva repackaging/sequencing!). But the big innovation of AYP, to me, is in the mild, no-big-deal mindset. It's just like brushing teeth. Low profile, back-burner, mild-mannered divinity. That's new, and it's the medicine I needed, and most of you, too, I bet.

So that, plus the fact that yoga is subtractive (unload, let go, empty out) rather than additive (learn, grow, achieve), makes me think that the most compassionate way to help is not by using this forum to psyche each other up into flashier and flashier experiences, but to trim each other's expectations and strivings. Discourage side trips and mind trips. Restate the simplicity of it all. I myself need to keep returning to simplicity over and over again. I'm capable of endless complication. We all need to keep our practice and our intellecutalization and our aspirations trimmed. We can help each other with that.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 29 2006 3:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent answer Jim , one which I agree with wholeheartedly.
L&L&L,
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll agree that reading exhaustive accounts of experiences can get tedious, and I always know that I have the right to NOT read anything I don't want to. I'm sure many a forumite has skipped over my posts and experiences as well, and I prefer that. Just as you wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone whose head was nodding in sleep, you wouldn't want your post to be read by anyone who rolled their eyes in disgust. Still, there are legitimate questions and genuine concerns that may arise as the result of an experience, and I don't want to suppress my urge to post when I think I could benefit from communication. Anyone who's been posting here for any length of time should know that they're not likely to get an atta-girl for sharing an experience; more likely they'll get the AYP version of a cold shower and a slap on the wrist. It's with fear and trepidation that we post our experiences, but we seem to get something out of them, after all. If nothing else, it keeps the discussion on ego afloat, which can only be a good thing. And admit that you enjoy replying, "Oh, yeah, kundalini, visions, voices, the stigmata . . . [yawn, scratch] . . . I remember all of that. Just drop it, dude." :)

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim I agree with what you have said. And that is exactly what we try to do here.. let people ask questions and guide them to a certain lesson or tell them it is just purification. We don't ever make anyone feel like they achieved a big thing by seeing a star or blue light. The most that we do is tell them it is all good... a little encouragement... but I don't think we have ever told anyone.. wow that is the best thing that could happen to you.. the most common statement here is..it is purification.. it will pass.. Self Pace..

At the same time, it does feel good to have a place you can come and share what your experience was..(thanks Meg)... esp. when you are new at it and things are happening that are not natural. Most people have never heard of kundalini awakening and the experiences that come from it.. I did not know any of these things.. and reading other people's experiences.. including yours.. I figured out most of the things that I was feeling was normal.. I had kundalini experiences even before AYP.. I did not know what to make of it.. and it really confused me.. Come on look at some of your old posts where you have shared your experiences.. did it not make you feel better after you shared your experiences.. and if not, did it not at least teach to to be where you are today.. when you can confidently tell people "experiences....which are complex and interesting, though nothing more than smoke and vapor."

quote:
the most compassionate way to help is not by using this forum to psyche each other up into flashier and flashier experiences, but to trim each other's expectations and strivings. Discourage side trips and mind trips. Restate the simplicity of it all. I myself need to keep returning to simplicity over and over again.

I guess you are saying is if someone asks questions don't encourage them to stay with the feeling or vision.... and I don't think we do that..do we?

Edited by - Shanti on May 29 2006 5:29:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  5:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I post a lot, and care a lot about AYP, I'm very uninclined to say what the philosophy of AYP is. I'm very uninclined to sum it up. Very uninclined to say 'this is the AYP way, that is not'. Because if I did, there would be a danger that I'd be writing my interpretations of AYP and its philosophy and saying 'this is the AYP philosophy'. And because my own philosophy will keep changing as I have more experience on the path, my summing-up of the AYP philosophy would keep changing.

Not that people shouldn't sum it up as they see it. But there will always be very different angles and different approaches to these practices. So if I sum it up I hope to say 'This is the way I see AYP....' rather than 'This is the way AYP is.'

To the new people I see myself more as road-assistance, just Advanced-Yoga Triple-A. This is new territory for some people -- I'm road-assistance, nothing more, coming in with a tow-truck and helping people change a wheel. To the more experienced people, I'm a fellow-traveller, sharing tips and trips on the path, and shooting the breeze sometimes (and shooting fallen gurus when they let me..... LOL ). And that's about it.

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 29 2006 6:05:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  6:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by sadhak
... the system as per the Guru-shishya tradition, we were almost forbidden to discuss experiences with anyone, with the reasoning that a practitioner's experiences are of no use to another practitioner...

Sadhak,

Did you discuss your experiences with your guru? If so, why so?

B
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  8:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

Although I post a lot, and care a lot about AYP, I'm very uninclined to say what the philosophy of AYP is. I'm very uninclined to sum it up. Very uninclined to say 'this is the AYP way, that is not'. Because if I did, there would be a danger that I'd be writing my interpretations of AYP and its philosophy and saying 'this is the AYP philosophy'.

We're here discussing AYP. Hard to do that without injecting our opinions of what it is and isn't. And since nobody but Yogani is entitled to pronounce on this authoritatively, anyone you see making such statements should be read with a tacit "My opinion is". The problem with writing "My opinion is" every time you state something is that it gets real tedious.

Anyway, you tackle topics as large or larger than AYP with a good bit of authority and brio, David. And I don't see you adding a whole lot of "IMO"s. You just mostly blurt stuff out....which is what one does in a forum!

For authoritative stuff, one ought to read Yogani's books. For a bunch of highly variable interpretations, insights, and hogwash from random disembodied figures on the Internet, one can read the forum.

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
I guess you are saying is if someone asks questions don't encourage them to stay with the feeling or vision.... and I don't think we do that..do we?

I don't understand. But, anyway, I'm not telling anyone what to do....just saying how I approach things, and pointing out what I see as some of the pitfalls.

The original question is profound. Discussing this stuff is painfully likely to take readers the wrong way, into the domain of mind. Will all this help? It's an important question. Insofar as forums are a good way to build a crowd, and thus to popularize this swell practice, great. But I hope it's not two steps forward and three back given that this sort of setting wil unavoidably fuel intellectualization, focus on experiences, one-upmanship, etc.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 29 2006 9:37:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 29 2006 :  10:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim said:
Anyway, you tackle topics as large or larger than AYP with a good bit of authority and brio, David. And I don't see you adding a whole lot of "IMO"s. You just mostly blurt stuff out....which is what one does in a forum!

This is true but I'm still right that I'm reluctant to sum up AYP philosophy on the forum. I may be full of bluster and brio and blurting and missing IMO's about other things, but it's still true that I am reticent on some things.

I intend to be reluctant in that way, or reluctant when I think about it. But it's not about my virtues or lack of them, or yours. If we see each other in hell and spend fifty years on an assembly line stamping out red-hot brass IMO's for every one we missed in this life, that's beside the point. I'm just trying to say why I am, or at least intend to be, reluctant about such things.

Even if I were a total hypocrite about this, my point would still be a good one.....

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 30 2006 09:07:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all of you, I hasten to the computer after my morning chores, and find it brimming with gifts. The elves at night....

Today is only my third day of the AYP method. I don't know, for instance, is it because I overshot by 15 minutes, is it because I'm moving from one system to another, is it because this is the first day I will not be going to class to help and instruct newer students, because I opted out of the old tradition, because of my 5th of 10 days of isolation (not doing Vipassana,just baby-sitting a house, dog and fishes); or is it purification process that I am feeling desolate, searing lonliness, and a complete no-good today.

This is also an experience.

It makes me smile in wonder that much of all that you are saying to me, I've said to a lot of newcomers in the organisation I was in. Yet, it must have all been intellectual (as my teacher did tell me). It is so easy to forget everything that is intellectual. Such learning will of course desert me when I need it the most. Thank you for telling me, for reminding me.

Suddenly, as I read all your posts, I don't feel so lost. I am a fresh student again. I can now watch the multi-hued pangs rise inside me, and I tell myself, this too shall pass.

Bewell asked:
quote:
Did you discuss your experiences with your guru? If so, why so?

Bewell, I would inform my Guru (as he'd asked us all to) of any experience for him to know. He would either laugh, ignore it, or tell me to do something particular. But when I learnt more about chakras, nadis, elements, prana, etc, etc., I learnt to co-relate certain experiences with certain movements. However, such understanding was at best fuzzy. Relating experiences to the Guru is for the Guru to know where you are, and what additions and corrections he can prescribe. But now, it is needed that I should be alert enough to know where to back off, whether something is related to the practices or not.

I agree that I have not seen this forum encourage any self-propping, unless a particular situation calls for that. But what attracts me to the forum is also that you can stop using masks (dos and don'ts, prescribed by lessons, the forum, or your own definitions of them), and as Jim says, 'Blurt out stuff'. Be yourself, with all your moles and warts. If you have to hide your warts, how can you even begin dealing with them? That is a sharing that helps me at least. Maybe that is the purpose of confessionals in the Church.

This 'daily activity' that I keep coming across in so many lessons... does it pertain to one's reaction to events, or the kind of events themselves, or a combination of both? To clarify... should I haul up and make adjustments in the meditation/pranayam sessions if things around me are going on a dive, or only if my reaction to them is on a dive?

Edited by - sadhak on May 30 2006 01:48:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  01:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,
quote:
and then I have to tell them that the inner changes are more important than the outer experiences.

Aren't outer experiences a measure of inner change? I mean, I know your insides tell you things, but it was my external experience with the former org. that told me that things were not going OK inside from some time. Eg, the time of meditation coming down suddenly, something seriously going wrong with the body, reactions to people you meet, sense of balance getting upset for very long periods, a sort of a revolt happening about everything that you're doing... Aren't these telling you what is actually going on?

Oh cripes, I read through what you'd written again... what I'm saying is not what you mean. I mean you mean what I am saying here after all. OK, forget I said anything at all, I get what you mean.

Edited by - sadhak on May 30 2006 01:47:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  01:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
quote:
So that, plus the fact that yoga is subtractive (unload, let go, empty out) rather than additive (learn, grow, achieve), makes me think that the most compassionate way to help is not by using this forum to psyche each other up into flashier and flashier experiences, but to trim each other's expectations and strivings. Discourage side trips and mind trips. Restate the simplicity of it all. I myself need to keep returning to simplicity over and over again. I'm capable of endless complication. We all need to keep our practice and our intellecutalization and our aspirations trimmed. We can help each other with that.

I look again at yoga! Never really saw it as that - unload, let go, empty out. It gives me some insight into what repelled me from the system I was in: had to learn, achieve, measure up, grow, excel, move up asap. It was too much like everything I already had an allergy to. It stressed out no end.

Yes Jim, I buy keeping aspirations and intellectualization down. I'm flopping down on the spot, and dozing off with a half-baked smile right away!

Edited by - sadhak on May 30 2006 01:49:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  01:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
This quote of yours answered another question that was doing the rearing dance in my head. Merci.
quote:
quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The beauty of AYP is.. you don't have to start off with detaching yourself from things and then start your sadhana. You start your sadhana and then detachment follows automatically. Then detachment is not an imposition.. it is a pleasure.. it is a part of your true self... it comes naturally..
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1136
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Time line difference ... I have to read everything at once and post all at once.

Can one format the post only after submitting once, and then going to the edit icon, or am I missing something here?

Edited by - sadhak on May 30 2006 06:48:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  01:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I had to learn, achieve, measure up, grow, excel, move up asap. It was too much like everything I already had an allergy to. It stressed out no end.

Sadhak,

Boy, do I know the feeling!

Listen, aside from practice, aspire and intellectualize all you want! But in just this one realm of your life, this realm which I constantly compare to tooth-brushing, forego the aspiring. Don't get good. Don't learn and grow. Don't collect merit badges or add to your resume. Just do the practices (or, really, let them do you) and get on with your life. It sounds blah, but it's not it's not it's not, I promise.

If that approach sounds like the most tremendous and delicious relief, embrace that feeling tightly. If it sounds somehow counter intuitive, adjust your preconceptions! This is NOT like learning French or ice sculpture. It's not something to get good at. When we turn yoga into another ladder to climb, another skill to learn, another shading to add to one's self-image, we are allowing yoga go be coopted by mind.

Read Yogani's easy-going, mild-mannered, oh-so-conducive prose, permeated with bhakti. That's the approach.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 30 2006 02:02:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  07:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jim,
quote:
But in just this one realm of your life, this realm which I constantly compare to tooth-brushing, forego the aspiring. Don't get good. Don't learn and grow. Don't collect merit badges or add to your resume.

I'll tell you what this sounds like to me. Like I'm looking up into the sky, and the trees are going all around up there, there's a cool gust of breeze, and there're a score violins playing in the background, and this is a pre-timed smooth crane shot from the height of a helicopter. And when the camera gets to the spot, there's no actor looking up into the lens in bright or closed-eyed ecstasy. Great! Yes, great relief, man! Gimme back my true 'duh, what?' self, and half-witted, vacant smile. And Yoga, here I don't come, or come... it doesn't matter...you do what you have to. (Have I got it right Jim ol' thing?)

Only, where I come from, the word 'bhakti' invariably brings a lot of weepy, melodramatic, false-pious faces peering down at me in total ghastly distortion. Must ask that person who did some NLP entry somewhere around here what I can do about that.

So I get back to brushing teeth and stuff before and after. Right ho. (boy, why am I so chirpy ... the exact opposite of this morning. Maybe the oversleep mid-afternoon. Maybe the... tell me to pipe down somebody... )

Edited by - sadhak on May 30 2006 07:34:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Today is only my third day of the AYP method. I don't know, for instance, is it because I overshot by 15 minutes, is it because I'm moving from one system to another, is it because this is the first day I will not be going to class to help and instruct newer students, because I opted out of the old tradition, because of my 5th of 10 days of isolation (not doing Vipassana,just baby-sitting a house, dog and fishes); or is it purification process that I am feeling desolate, searing lonliness, and a complete no-good today.

Hi Sadhak,

I would suggest it is because you over-shot by 15 minutes and that you dug up a little too much latent emotional energy. Try cutting back to the suggested 10 minutes (or less) of pranayama and the 20 minutes (or less) of meditation and see how you feel.

Once you are over, as your symptoms indicate that you are, sometimes it requires you to do even less than the 10 minutes of pranayama and the 20 minutes of meditation that Yogani recommends in order to get the amount you are releasing back in line with your tolerance and inner silence. Once you find balance in your daily activity (how you feel during the day with all your regular interactions and activities) then you can increase back up to the recommended levels.

Hope this helps,

A
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sadhak
I'll tell you what this sounds like to me. Like I'm looking up into the sky, and the trees are going all around up there, there's a cool gust of breeze, and there're a score violins playing in the background, and this is a pre-timed smooth crane shot from the height of a helicopter. And when the camera gets to the spot, there's no actor looking up into the lens in bright or closed-eyed ecstasy. Great! Yes, great relief, man! Gimme back my true 'duh, what?' self, and half-witted, vacant smile. And Yoga, here I don't come, or come... it doesn't matter...you do what you have to. (Have I got it right Jim ol' thing?)

No. You're still conceptualizing. No matter how far you pull back the camera, there's still you holding a camera. What's your concept of tooth brushing? You probably don't have one. You just do it.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 30 2006 2:06:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak,
Anthem has given good solutions to your question. You can also check here for some good self pacing tips.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1104

quote:
Sadhak said: This 'daily activity' that I keep coming across in so many lessons... does it pertain to one's reaction to events, or the kind of events themselves, or a combination of both? To clarify... should I haul up and make adjustments in the meditation/pranayam sessions if things around me are going on a dive, or only if my reaction to them is on a dive?

Check lesson#58 http://www.aypsite.org/58.html
This is what Yogani says..
quote:
You will know you
are practicing at the right level if you are having stability (and
fun!) instead of knocking yourself out trying to do too much. The
best measure of the stability of your practice is how you feel
afterward in daily life. If you feel frazzled during the day, go back
and stabilize your practice at a comfortable level. Always make sure
you rest adequately at the end of meditation.

Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like posting here because it gives me yet another opportunity of inner growth. I am responsible for my own checks and balances. I can gauge many of ego's thousands of fingers in my pudding by seeing what and how I post. It is a good tool of reflection. It's also great to check some of my energy experiences with Yogani and all of you who are on parallel paths to mine. It is good to be able to share with fellow travelers

Edited by - alan on May 30 2006 12:49:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL!

"In my opinion"

BTW, "LOL" is "laughing out loud"

BTW, "BTW" is "by the way", FWIW

"FWIW", BTW, is "for whatever it's worth"
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  06:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,
yes thanks... I get you. Only it takes some lot of adjustment.. I dropped from one and a half hours to 20 minutes, and that seems too much! The difference between one kind and the other kind I guess, though the elements seem so similar. I'm not very observant about myself or my surroundings; and that makes it a little difficult to diagnose the malaise and prescribe the solution. But this is what I wanted... freedom to decide, and this is what I got. So let me start learning to observe. The 'feel' person versus the 'think' person. Think that's what someone meant in the link that Shanti posted, when they said one needed to hug trees and the other did not.

My problem is that sometimes I feel like I'm the 'need to hug trees' kind of person, and other times the other way round. And then it all gets too tiresome to think so much, so you drop it all and drag around effects of things till they wear off however.

After all, event the prescription of 'don't think, just do', also requires some thinking to back the doing, unless you want to bash on regardless, and get bashed regardless as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000