AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 AYP - Prayer or Guidance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  01:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering if there is a practice in AYP that is similar to prayer or other form of practice where one asks the source/field/god for an answer to a question?

In my case, I'm trying to figure an answer to a couple important life and career questions, what path I should take and there are several rational avenues but wanted to consult the divine consciousness that is in all things, including myself. Just not sure the best method as I stopped traditional christian forms of prayer decades ago and think i'd rather do the AYP way :).

Does Yogani talk about this? If so, would love to be guided to the correct lesson.

Thanks!

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  04:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oneleaf,

I don't have the time now to do the research for you, put if you go to the Topic Index and look under "prayer" you find all the lessons associated with that. Also, have a look at the lesson on Samyama.

In my experience, prayer doesn't really work in the way you describe above. It is not some ritual that you do and as a result you get you answers immediately. However; if you practice meditation and related practices like Samyama consistently you become much more sensitive in picking up life's little cues. When you start to notice this, it all comes down to having enough faith and trust to follow through. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Medea. That is definitely helpful. I like your perspective on looking for cues coming to the fore as you do Samyama. I have been practicing samyama for a few weeks and have read the Samyama book as well as the self-inquiry book and all the lessons on Samyama and prayer online. I could have sworn I either saw in Yogani's materials or elsewhere a practice of asking questions in stillness.

I tried something akin to getting into a samyama-ready state, i.e., doing DM for 5-10 minutes and then asking questions into the stillness but with mixed results.

If anyone else has any experience or practice with what I'm querying please let me know.

Otherwise, i'm happy to continue with the samyama and eventually be shown the way.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  03:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oneleaf,

It is a bit unclear to me what your practice routine looks like, so maybe the following is old news:

It is of little use to practice Samyama if there is not some form of inner silence present. You will notice the presence of inner silence after some weeks or months of consistent practice of mediation. So that comes first. When inner silence becomes noticeable, Samyama can be added as a practice. After that, just make sure DM always proceeds Samyama in you daily practice; Samyama can only reach it's full potential if one has cultivated inner silence first.

In my experience, Samayama has some sort of cumulative effect. The longer and more consistently it is practised, the stronger the outcomes. However, the outcomes are often not what I expected them to be at all, simply because I could not imagine that outcome beforehand. So I would not focus so much on asking questions and expect to get answer a. b. or c. Instead spend some time every day letting the word 'wisdom' dissolve in inner stillness and have faith that wisdom will accompany you when the time comes to make important decisions. All the best to you!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi OneLeaf,

my experience from the childhood till now is: reduce your questions to the most important one. Look if you can give an answer to that and go deeper to your most honest and deepest wish and with closed eyes and with full honesty touch feelingly that silent core where you know that god hears you and ask your question. Ask it with full clarity and while knowing that god hears it. Then remain with this silent core consiously and just wait. Like being with god. You can be sure that even before you have asked your question everything started moving to answer it. the longer you remain with god, the better. Then let go and let god do the magic answering your question. Just be thankful that you could do this.

If after some time the situation or question has not been cleared, repeat this with even greater honesty and clearity in the silent core of yourself. You will for sure get what you are asking for.

Don't be shy, ask the greatest question!
Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  1:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Madea, thanks for your last response, that makes so much sense to me. I have been doing DM for several months now and there definitely is inner silence cultivated there for Samyama, so looking forward to some more wisdom! Thanks again for elucidating the practice with the wisdom example, that really clears things up from the Samyama perspective.

Holy, thanks for sharing your experience and practice, I will definitely give that a try, just hearing you describe it makes me feel good!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000