AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Advaita Vedanta atheistic?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  06:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

There are actually two nondualities:

A. Everything is one, Monism i.e. kashmir shaivism

B. Everything is illusory i.e. Gaudapada, Nagarjuna, Aryadeva etc.

From practical point of view (i.e. from point of applying these concepts in life) I think that another distinction is better:

A. Absolute is real, the world of relativity is illusion (Shankara, ...)

B. Both Absolute and Relativity world are real (Valabhacharya, ...)
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  08:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KechariConfusion, the real distinction is not between theories but between practical applications of these theories.

For example, shall we take care of our bodies and to which extent? If our body is just an illusion, then we shall not, or maximum - to the extent so that it will not die.

This is an extreme point of view but it's spreaded well enough in all religions. I read a book about Ramana Maharshi. He had a cancer, and when his pupil suggested to try to cure him reportedly said: "Body itself is illness; so cancer is illness of the illness, so it's good", or someting to this value.

Do we agree with him? How do we act in the real life? Which choices do we make? This is important; and concepts are important ONLY to the extent that they help or prevent us to make different choices.

So if everything is illusory (as you said) - how do you act being in the centre of this illusion?!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  1:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Christi,

Thanks. My question was more about the "ongoing" nature of what you describe as the second stage. Does not the experience of unity continue to expand as obstructions are removed? With perception and understanding growing?

Hi Jeff,

yes, there are subtle changes which happen as perception is expanded to a new level. And with that, insight comes and new understandings. It is ever changing. It is hard to explain in words however, as human language is based around the concept of separation, not unity. One change that happens is that things that were once seen as quite physical, concrete and separated are seen increasingly as subtle, radiant, made of a fluid ecstatic light and connected in many ways with everything else.
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  3:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yuri

So if everything is illusory (as you said) - how do you act being in the centre of this illusion?!

Just to be clear, from the viewpoint of the Buddhists, the end result is letting go of the views of existence and nonexistence.

So the real question is how other people act clutching the false views of existence and nonexistence?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000