Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Getting difficult now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  5:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm completing my third month of consistent DM and a lot has changed recently. The first two months were accompanied by very noticeable and sometimes dramatic results: highly emotional vivid dreams; pressure behind my nose and eyes; emotional swings from carefree lightness to apathy and negativity. No matter the quality of the mantra, I could always pick it up and cruise with it.

Things have really balanced out in the last month. None of the aforementioned effects occur anymore. Now I find myself totally blanking out for 3-5 minutes. Not just getting lost in mental chatter or drifting off in thoughts...but elaborate mental scenarios that I won't even realize I'm in until I snap out of it like 5 minutes later. They totally swallow me up and the mantra and I don't have a chance :). The mantra gets swept away like a snowflake in a tsunami. Snapping out of it is like waking after deep dreaming and really having to re-orient myself like "Where am I?...Oh yeah, I'm here meditating." These are not visions or anything, just nonsensical yet very complicated dreams. It's accompanied by a heavy sleepy feeling.

Just putting it out there to share. I have no concerns or questions really...I've learned to surrender to the great adventure and throw my silly expectations out the window. Part of the journey I guess.

Would love to hear your thoughts or similar experiences.

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  9:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you use back support for meditation? Asking because I find such getting lost for me is very hard, and even when sleep deprived late at night the mini thought-imagery rarely lasts very long at all before getting jolted because my body wants to fall backwards.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  10:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho
Things have really balanced out in the last month. None of the aforementioned effects occur anymore. Now I find myself totally blanking out for 3-5 minutes. Not just getting lost in mental chatter or drifting off in thoughts...but elaborate mental scenarios that I won't even realize I'm in until I snap out of it like 5 minutes later. They totally swallow me up and the mantra and I don't have a chance :). The mantra gets swept away like a snowflake in a tsunami. Snapping out of it is like waking after deep dreaming and really having to re-orient myself like "Where am I?...Oh yeah, I'm here meditating." These are not visions or anything, just nonsensical yet very complicated dreams. It's accompanied by a heavy sleepy feeling.

Wow. This is a superb description of similar black-out episodes I have had during DM. "The mantra gets swept away like a snowflake in a tsunami." Brilliant!

Yes indeed. It's like these parallel realities are playing out in complex and alien narratives...and I just get sucked into their vortices, and I only get a glimpse of their characters, dialogues, and landscapes as I'm surfacing. And I can pretty much never make sense of them. LOL.

And bingo...just like you said...the mental process of realizing that A) I'm off the mantra, and B) I'm meditating in the first place...takes a good deal longer than normal. I usually rest at the end for significantly longer as well to adjust. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it certainly gets me scratching my head.

Thanks for sharing this scenery. Self-pace, and the black-outs shouldn't last long.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  10:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
DoctorWho: Now I find myself totally blanking out for 3-5 minutes. Not just getting lost in mental chatter or drifting off in thoughts...but elaborate mental scenarios that I won't even realize I'm in until I snap out of it like 5 minutes later.

I've experienced these types of meditations before. They tend to happen in cycles for me and the cycles will last anywhere from a few days to several months. Then the experience of meditation will shift, sometimes quickly sometimes with a longer transition, into one of the other 3 or 4 types of meditations I seem to experience.

quote:
Bodhi Tree: I usually rest at the end for significantly longer as well to adjust.

Me too.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  01:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi and Carson: You guys are so right about resting significantly longer after these types of meditation sessions. I practically crash out for 10 min only to be woken by my timer. And Bodhi , that's a great description of what it's like. The same "... glimpse of their characters, dialogues, and landscapes...". I'm always amazed at the stuff bouncing around in my noggin! It's unbelievable.

Aum: No back support for me. I've been doing meditation postures for years so I'm pretty locked in. But I have experienced the occasional 'jolt' here and there. Not sure what that's about either:)

You guys are great. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  1:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI, I wrote about this when it first started happening to me back in the middle of 2008; http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4358

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  9:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the corroboration, Carson. Funny how parallel these experiences are.
Go to Top of Page

Redhotyogi

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  3:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redhotyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is not quite the same thing but I have been indulging in lengthy dail yoga and meditation practises for almost a month.

I have found I am having very vivid dreams including some nightmares revisiting the past. For instance last night I was woken by a dream of my mum and a lot of guilt surrounding her death. The dreams all seem to be relating o people from my past and I'm finding this very confusing and upsetting.

Any advice please?

www.redhotyogastyle.com" target="_blank">Redhotyogi
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  03:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Redhotyogi,

Can you elaborate on your current practices ?

"Black-outs" for me occur during the rest period. DM remains very much on the surface but then I lay in corpse pose to rest and wham, I'm out - for at least 15 mins .

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000