AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Thoughts Are Awareness/Consciousness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I was drawn today to read from a book I haven't touched since a long time back... I stopped at page 11 and always thought about picking up at some time in the future... Somehow the book crossed my mind today like it was calling me... It's the spiritual discourses of Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon... Anyways I opened the book and read until page 18 and felt like this is enough for now I'll finish up later... The few pages I've read spoke about the relation of the subject with object and how all is happening in consciousness and without it there wouldn't be a perceiver of the object.

Then I went to meditate and then suddenly everything melted into awareness... Myself, my thoughts my room ect... All limits dropped... then I cam back into my body awareness and the body started jolting like it was in samyama mode... And a big loud Ahhhh came out of me till the extent that my mom heard me from two rooms away... Some blockage got ripped open in my chest... And suddenly it was like a download... Everything is awareness... The subject and object are both awareness... All is awareness... Then it hit me that thoughts are also awareness... Feelings... Ect ect

All of this didn't feel the least mystic or like it was a peak experience... It just felt very natural and normal like this is how things really are... After I got up from my seat and started walking around the house... I realized again that thoughts are awareness... Suddenly, thoughts like what is this or what is that or is there more or I want more ect all were realized as awareness.

I am pushed from inside now to just share this message:
Thoughts are awareness!

Love,
Ananda

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  01:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
<<I think therefore I am or I am therefore I think??>>

Thoughtful,

Sey
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  04:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes "I" is in awareness and awareness is in "I". As light cannot exist without the dark, they are inseperable.

All thought springs from that.

Of course what you do with that revelation is interesting. You cannot live in it, eat it or wear it and it isn't great as a chat up line at a party

Edited by - karl on May 10 2012 04:08:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  10:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey

Dear Karl, somewhat yes I am kind of living in it since yesterday... A real shift has happened... It's subtle yet so obvious... I understand now what it is to live without a center... Everything is center... That... Somehow it's happening automatically... Don't know how to put it... It's like samyama but more gentle.... All questions are dropping at the moment they come up... This is soft
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These subtle little shifts of perception take time to integrate. They come a steady intervals. With them comes a strong punch of scenery. The scenery is the revelatory euphoria that comes with the shift.

It's good if you can remove the euphoria from the shift, because it has the effect of slowing progress just as scenery does during meditation. That's what I meant by the question "what use is it?" the quicker it can be grounded the better. Those feelings of successful attainment become the antithesis of periods of slow ( apparent) growth.

It doesn't mean you can, or should, just a contemplative question.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  12:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your advise dear Karl
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  11:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Earlier today I searched for a passage and came across this instead, which happens to relate here:

The ego cannot coexist with thoughts and feelings the moment they appear, because that occurs beyond in awareness, and in themselves do not bind except afterwards when ego comes in to claim them as its own. -my own paraphrase of notes on spiritual discourses 347
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  01:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you AumNaturel
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  01:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good summation. Thoughts spring from the place in between the "I" and awareness. Like steam turns to water when it touches a cold surface. The Ego isn't present when the thoughts arise, but then it binds them and is bound by them. It is the basis for the scenery that arises being judged good or bad.

I didn't get any of that from a book this is by direct knowledge. Everything crystallises out of nebulous stuff.
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  02:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These are philosophical figures on the difference of subject and object. Thoughts emerging between I and awareness repeats this figure otherwise as Menon.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  09:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Earlier today I searched for a passage and came across this instead, which happens to relate here:

The ego cannot coexist with thoughts and feelings the moment they appear, because that occurs beyond in awareness, and in themselves do not bind except afterwards when ego comes in to claim them as its own. -my own paraphrase of notes on spiritual discourses 347

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  09:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and I can see how that is possible, coming to know things directly. A few of the principles Sri Atmananda speaks of can be self-evident from ordinary observation, such as the one about losing yourself in action for best results.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  03:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick follow up.. Ego is back in place and the automatic dissolving of limits lasted for one day and a half.. I am back yet different.. It feels like i know on one hand and on the other there's so much more inner silence present and even though i may do something very chaotic or energetic or may even go through a bad feeling yet all this peace. I really can't put a word on what's happening. It is yet it's not. It's a living contradiction at peace with itself. Thank u dear god. You exist :-)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  04:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, slog up the mountain, see the sights, go back down to ground level and repeat. That's the pattern. Once you see how it works you can short cut the scenery. In effect you can practice with zero expectation, instead of reaching the peak, force yourself to ground level. The cycles still remain, but much shallower and faster.

You can also give up all good effects and simply worship God. Not as a deity however, although I expect that would still be OK.

Here I am talking about worship LOL one time biggest Atheist on the planet, self sufficient and independent. How the mighty fall I took to Yoga because there seemed little talk of God, it seemed more scientific. Everyone in their own way.

Thanks for sharing Ananda.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  06:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  05:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
And a big loud Ahhhh came out of me till the extent that my mom heard me from two rooms away... Some blockage got ripped open in my chest... And suddenly it was like a download

intresting...did not notice this part before...
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  12:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funnily I wrote this topic three years back but it seems like yesterday... I've been thrown back into this glimpse of truth and somehow it's been pushed forward...

Now it is realized or understood that thought is simply a rising from awareness into awareness... It is awareness realizing itself in objects... I am awareness and everything rises and falls within me. The ocean on which waves rise or the space between two thoughts on which thoughts rise from it and come back to it...

Awareness watching awareness... I am again pushed at this except before it was like trying to turn the mind upon itself and that caused a lot of pain and frustration... Now it's really awareness realized as the core or fabric of all... At least this is what i have on my hands right now... And it feels wise to just remember and remember and take my stand in what is true... This impersonal awareness... Somehow it feels like this will bring sanity into a broken and tired mind... A mind that is awareness...

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  9:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Ananda!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  02:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Now it is realized or understood that thought is simply a rising from awareness into awareness... It is awareness realizing itself in objects... I am awareness and everything rises and falls within me. The ocean on which waves rise or the space between two thoughts on which thoughts rise from it and come back to it...

This is much talked about but I have yet to realise this experientially. Are there AYPers actually perceiving this as their reality?
Whenever I bring my bare attention to a thought, it just disappears. Observing thoughts is hard. I have to sneak up on it. Whenever I place bare attention to anything, I just get thrown back to my centre and it turns into flower-shaped light.

Input welcomed please

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  03:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

This is much talked about but I have yet to realise this experientially. Are there AYPers actually perceiving this as their reality?
Whenever I bring my bare attention to a thought, it just disappears. Observing thoughts is hard. I have to sneak up on it. Whenever I place bare attention to anything, I just get thrown back to my centre and it turns into flower-shaped light.

Input welcomed please

Sey

Nothing fancy over here and no flower shaped lights... Just a simple empty awareness recognized as the true nature of all that is... And it's not separate or two or three... It just this... But this is not an ongoing reality for me and it's not always strong... Sometimes it's automatic and most of the times it's a form of remembrance and requires a conscious effort..

I have my practices to thank for this... They provide a much needed sense of calmness especially prayer... But I guess I am still an aypyer in a sense since I use my prayers as if meditating like I was taught at ayp and practice self pacing when needed some times...

I recommend reading Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon's works to understand more the nature of thought. They've helped me and maybe they could help you out also... Worth a try I guess...

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  01:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I too experience that simple empty awareness but that is for me unfocused empty awareness. If I bring that as attention to an object - say a pebble in my hand - that is when my Awareness turns to single point of light (that is what I am calling falling to my centre) and the object turns into flower-shaped light. Which leaves me with the question - is everything flower-shaped or is my Beam of Attention flower-shaped? If I bring this attention to try and catch an arising thought, I can never quite do so.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  02:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what to tell you. Feels like third eye experiences you are having. The only difference in my case is that there is no doubt. This is the natural state of things. Its' nature... Even doubt is consciousness. Seriously some times i share this stuff and i am afraid it would cause trouble to others who might try and project it into their own experience... But every one is unique... Some thgs are common like consciousness but as for the scenery and the lights... Each one's experience is unique... Hope i make sense.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda, great topic thank you.

I seem to be in between two stools here, so to speak.
On the one hand I have had the realisation that all is nature, including our ego, including all our thoughts, our perceptions, our sufferings, our pleasures etc etc.. on the other hand I haven't been able to observe the thinking process out of awareness.
When I hear people say "lets get back to nature", as if mankind with all its manipulation of the the planet and everything it can lay its hands on, is somehow unnatural, this jars with me. To me I see our sufferings and kindness and greed and envy and all the other manifestations of what we might call ego as also part of nature, of the growing natural process of the evolution of life. And all of this is awareness unfolding in life.

So in all of this "thoughts are awareness", however my experience is the same as Sey's in so far as, if I am sufficiently still when I observe the birth of a thought out of awareness it vanishes, disappears. I think it may be possible to observe a stream of thinking out of a place of stillness but it hasn't come to me yet.

I haven't experienced the flowery light yet when I place my attention on objects, maybe some day

Maybe it's something to do with "form" and the "formless" and the paradox of this, both coexisting as one and us having the capacity through stillness to go from one to the other, sometimes experiencing the "formless" and sometimes (probably more often) "form"

I'll go now before my head starts smoking.

Edited by - Sparkle on Apr 14 2015 09:32:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Ananda, great topic thank you.

I seem to be in between two stools here, so to speak.
On the one hand I have had the realisation that all is nature, including our ego, including all our thoughts, our perceptions, our sufferings, our pleasures etc etc.. on the other hand I haven't been able to observe the thinking process out of awareness.
When I hear people say "lets get back to nature", as if mankind with all its manipulation of the the planet and everything it can lay its hands on, is somehow unnatural, this jars with me. To me I see our sufferings and kindness and greed and envy and all the other manifestations of what we might call ego as also part of nature, of the growing natural process of the evolution of life. And all of this is awareness unfolding in life.

So in all of this "thoughts are awareness", however my experience is the same as Sey's in so far as, if I am sufficiently still when I observe the birth of a thought out of awareness it vanishes, disappears. I think it may be possible to observe a stream of thinking out of a place of stillness but it hasn't come to me yet.

I haven't experienced the flowery light yet when I place my attention on objects, maybe some day

Maybe it's something to do with "form" and the "formless" and the paradox of this, both coexisting as one and us having the capacity through stillness to go from one to the other, sometimes experiencing the "formless" and sometimes (probably more often) "form"

I'll go now before my head starts smoking.

Beautiful

This is pretty much what I am going through... I call the formless as awareness because this is how it feels... And yes it's in all no exception... It's not a matter of unity... It's something more... In fact to say Unity in this is wrong... Saying "That" or "Is"... Is probably more correct... Funnily this last weekend... It's like a veil have been lifted... And I feel so dumb about many things that have happened in my past... The experience was so real... It came as teaching... Take your stand as awareness.. This is who you are and this is the nature of things... So object and subject are just awareness watching awareness... Pretty much in short... Awareness just is... This is what I have on my hands at least for now... I've been tired of visions and scenery recently which I am experiencing a lot... They are good and comforting and all... But some of them I think as misleading by now... A lot of suffering could've been avoided without and sometimes they've been helpful... Now it feels wisest to just deal with what I have on my hands this direct moment and what I know as real... My true nature and trying to establish myself in what is true...

I've heard all the talk I am saying in the past from fragments here and there... But somehow it is all just coming together... I need to take this move to keep myself sane and grounded and true.

Thank you for your inputs

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  04:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Wise words my friend, being grounded in the inquiry of life is a beautiful journey

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000