AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Awareness/witness in usual life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  02:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When trying to implement awareness/witness concept in usual life, I met the problem that this practice diminishes my level of energy, while (as I understand) it shall incresae it.

I'm doing this practice by trying to put part of my attention to the feeling of the thoughts arising in mind; feelings of nature of mind itself (agitated, calm, etc.)

The problem, I think, is that I'm trying too hard, i.e. put too much of my attention on this practice. Instead of awareness, I'm coming to concentration, which tends to increase tension (I'm thankful to those on this forum who helped me to understand the connection between awareness and concentration).

The question is how to come to awareness without "giving it too much thought", without sliding to concentration?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  05:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Yuri,

In my opinion you can only do that (come to awareness that is) by practicing meditation on a regular basis. This will lead to direct experience of awareness, not just an intellectual notion of it. Then you can confidently rest your awareness on Awareness and know what you are talking about.

What are your current practices?

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  06:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yuri
The question is how to come to awareness without "giving it too much thought", without sliding to concentration?

I agree with sey, that meditation is the answer.
However, if you want to do exercises when you are not meditating, try this:
Put all your attention on your senses. You have five senses, so try to be aware of the input you are receiving all at the same time. First one, then two etc.
When I do this, there isn't enough brain power to think at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  9:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish and SeySorciere

I think that by meditation you mean "formal meditation" like sitting and doing DM as in AYP or any other kind of meditation.

I agree that meditation is one of the keys; I'm doing it regularly (I tried AYP DM but now I'm doing breath awareness buddhist style - Yogani also recommends it fore more sensitive people).

However, the question is what to do in usual life - how to meditate and be aware in usual life. Here by meditation I mean maintaining the level which is achieved during "formal meditation".

The method of oveloading of 5 senses which Etherfish offers is IMHO good for formal meditation (sitting or walking). In usual life it does not go - if I use it I don't have the ability to concentrate.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  9:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that's what you wanted.
It is not necessary to do any practices outside of practice sessions. Your everyday life will be different than meditation, then eventually the fruits of meditation will spill out into your life.
Go to Top of Page

BenQuiet

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

How about this Yuri. In usual daily life just feel the Presence of your beloved, whether you call it your guru, god, great spirit, or Shakti + you are Shiva, but you are one with IT. Deep in your heart and all around you is the love and presence of your beloved. It is a feeling and it only requires a tiny bit of your awareness while you carry on with your daily routines. Before you know it you are in peace and exuding it to all around you. No effort, no stress, remember it is a feeling - not an effort of mind.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree totally with Etherfish. I think your trying to force your everyday perception, trying to become like a Zen master during everyday living. This isn't necessary. Certainly a few moments of self inquiry and mindfulness can be good additions, a little extra boost to the growing stillness during meditation. There is a ratio of boost to growth, if you keep boosting you will end up in the self inquiry, none relational doldrums. A ton of fertiliser won't make a little plant grow, instead it will smother it and block out its water, nutrients and light. What's more it can kill by direct contact with so much growth booster.

You must learn to self pace. Little and regularly, less is more should be your motto. The practices will get you to where you imagine your going to end up ( you won't end up there, because the imagination can't get close to that realisation). trust the method, take it slowly it's not a race, remember the tortoise and the hare.

Edited by - karl on Apr 24 2012 12:27:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  1:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl, Etherfish

Thanks for participating; still I believe that meditation alone is not enough. In another thread of this forum were quoted beautiful lines:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ation,action

INTO A BLINDING DARKNESS GO THEY WHO WORSHIP ACTION ALONE.
INTO AN EVEN GREATER DARKNESS GO THEY WHO WORSHIP MEDITATION.

FOR IT IS OTHER THAN MEDITATION,
IT IS OTHER THAN ACTION.
THIS WE HAVE HEARD FROM THE ENLIGHTENED ONES.

MEDITATION AND ACTION --
HE WHO KNOWS THESE TWO TOGETHER,
THROUGH ACTION LEAVES DEATH BEHIND AND
THROUGH MEDITATION GAINS IMMORTALITY.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BenQuiet

Naturally I'm not religious type of person. Very sceptical towards Gurus (may be I have not met a real one; or may be I met and did not notice). God for me is too impersonal. I feel more comfortable with High-Self, but I have only belief, I don't have direct experience.

Anyway I feel there is something in what you say; I shall think it over - how to implement more bhakti and surrender in my life.

Thanks once more

Edited by - Yuri on May 02 2012 01:46:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  04:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl, Etherfish

Thanks for participating; still I believe that meditation alone is not enough. In another thread of this forum were quoted beautiful lines:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ation,action

INTO A BLINDING DARKNESS GO THEY WHO WORSHIP ACTION ALONE.
INTO AN EVEN GREATER DARKNESS GO THEY WHO WORSHIP MEDITATION.

FOR IT IS OTHER THAN MEDITATION,
IT IS OTHER THAN ACTION.
THIS WE HAVE HEARD FROM THE ENLIGHTENED ONES.

MEDITATION AND ACTION --
HE WHO KNOWS THESE TWO TOGETHER,
THROUGH ACTION LEAVES DEATH BEHIND AND
THROUGH MEDITATION GAINS IMMORTALITY.

You seek reassurance that your own idea is correct. The Ego seeking confirmation should always be suspect. Let it go, don't seek it, let the fire of pure desire be your guide. Give up the idea that you control it.

Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  05:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl

I came to clear understanding, that if rely on meditation only twice a day, and make no efforts throughout a day, fruits of spitritual development will be very low, if any at all.

At this stage I am already not searching for reassurance; no need. I am searching for the ways to implement it the best way.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  06:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl

I came to clear understanding, that if rely on meditation only twice a day, and make no efforts throughout a day, fruits of spitritual development will be very low, if any at all.

At this stage I am already not searching for reassurance; no need. I am searching for the ways to implement it the best way.

You are like a man kicking up dust as he walks along a track while trying to see the view around him. You run faster in an attempt to out run the dust cloud you have kicked up, but instead you just creat even more. You cannot see that it is you who is responsible for this. Instead, if you just stand still and be quiet, the view will quickly be revealed.

This dust is like thoughts, the more desperate the greater the thoughts. These thoughts have entangled, distracted and ensnared you. You only need to be still and quiet for tiny moments to get glimpses. The more you slow down, surrender and give up the idea of control the more frequent they become. Soon you will realise that standing still is what it is all about and you can give up the exhausting, ineffective headlong effort.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Karl

As I understand we both agree that we shall practice meditation daily (or twice per day) to "obtain" these glimpes of stillness.

Then the question is what to do out of meditation (in usual life), how to maintain these glimpses.

As I understand, you answer is "nothing, just to wait, while these still glimpses penetrate your nature deep enough; then it will come automatically"

OK, I got it, but have another point of view. I think we shall apply some efforts outside of meditation to fight ego, and to maintain "still' glimpses.

Let's wait couple of years; may be I will come to your understanding; or may be you will come to mine

Love and Respect
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  10:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear Karl

As I understand we both agree that we shall practice meditation daily (or twice per day) to "obtain" these glimpes of stillness.

Then the question is what to do out of meditation (in usual life), how to maintain these glimpses.

As I understand, you answer is "nothing, just to wait, while these still glimpses penetrate your nature deep enough; then it will come automatically"

OK, I got it, but have another point of view. I think we shall apply some efforts outside of meditation to fight ego, and to maintain "still' glimpses.

Let's wait couple of years; may be I will come to your understanding; or may be you will come to mine

Love and Respect

Don't make Ego your enemy, it isn't. There is no need to go to war with it, instead treat it gently and work with it.

No need to maintain the glimpses. You are trying to control things, give it up,.

I used to wonder at the Gurus saying that there is no becoming, it's a myth. However it is true, you already are all that you ever were and always will be. It isn't more practices, it's less belief that more practices will change anything. The 2 practices per day are rituals, to be done without thoughts of gain, or change. Do them like worship, do them as worship, dedicate them to something greater than you are. Steer the Ego , so that it does not need to cloud your mind with doubts and fears. Be quiet, gentle and infinitely patient.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanissaro Bhikkhu “The Skill of Restraint”
(Buddhistic Theravada tradition)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...ml#restraint

quote:
People often ask how to bring the practice into daily life. The answer is relatively simple. It's one many people don't like to hear, but it is simple: restraint. There are basically two kinds of restraint. There's restraint in what you do, and restraint in how you look and listen and smell and taste and feel and think about things — in other words, restraint in what goes out, and restraint in what comes in. And both kinds of restraint require a good amount of skill.

Try to notice when you look at something: Does your attention go flowing out? Do you lose your sense of the body? If you do, it's a sign that your looking isn't all that skillful. You want to be able to stay in the body as you look, as you listen, to maintain your sense of the breath energy throughout the body. If you can't, that's a sign either that you're looking for the purpose of forgetting the body — in other words, you're looking for the purpose of greed, anger, or delusion — or you're simply careless, and the sight, the sound, the smell, or the taste, whatever, happened to catch you off guard.

That's how most people look and listen and smell and taste and feel and think about things. They forget their inner center and suddenly find themselves centered outside, trying to get some pleasure from grabbing onto a sight or a sound and then elaborating on it — either to make it more attractive or to make it seem more meaningful than it actually is. If the mind is in a mood for a little bit of anger, you focus on the things that would provoke the anger and then you can elaborate on it, proliferate as much as you like.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong with practising mindfulness as an addition to DM and SB, but it isn't a necessity. DM results in the outgoing stillness and the witness in everyday life automatically. When sufficient stillness is present its often then that many of us jump into self inquiry, so mindfulness or restraint just become part of that anyway.

If you are ready for it then you can add Sanyama to practices. One of the sutras is designed for sense introversion.
Go to Top of Page

Gunny

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  11:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll buck the trend of admonishing this guy for his impatience and offer a small suggestion that might help. While in your 'usual life' (not meditating) look inward and find the physical location of the center of your attention. Now move that center slightly lower and more forward than it was. Go on with your usual life without even thinking about awareness but keeping your center of attention in this new location.

Edited by - Gunny on May 27 2012 11:53:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  10:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The 2 practices per day are rituals, to be done without thoughts of gain, or change. Do them like worship, do them as worship, dedicate them to something greater than you are. Steer the Ego , so that it does not need to cloud your mind with doubts and fears. Be quiet, gentle and infinitely patient."

wow karl, thanks for sharing! :)

Hello there, Yuri

Something very simple that I sometimes tend to do is looking into myself
For example: I'm sitting here right now and I am feeling unwell with the thought that I might not be able to express my point well enough for you.
Now this uneasiness can be suppressed. It will be back as an unidentifiable feeling of dis-ease (most of the times I feel stuff like that in my throat area).
These things happen all the time. "Little" feelings of uneasiness that accompany you throughout your everyday life.
Now what I do is watch them. Even if they do not dissolve just stay with them.

Imagine your third eye (at the moment) is on the level of a drunk guy or someone really stupid maybe (:D)
If it was awakened everything it looked at would immediately dissolve or wouldn't arise in the first place.
But right now you're drunk okay? :D
So now you watch something in you but the identification to that problem which causes uneasiness stays there. So you stay there with it and after a while it just drops.
Like showing a drunkard his door so he can open it and he just stares at it (like what am I supposed to do with that now). But after a while he's like: AHhh yeah right!

I imagine our third eyes to be "underused". The brain doesn't even know what they're good for anymore xD
"Ohhhh that thing that I use when I forgot what I wanted to say?" That's just the least it can do

You get my point? :D

We are being. Nothing else. We are at the same time. Whenever you are you can be sure that I am, too, because we are just waves on the same deep ocean of awareness. So what do any of these problems have to do with you? Only in sleep the idea might arise that these problems are to be taken serious. But it is only your own bhakti that will guide you and open the way for you! I learned to handle situations differently depending on how it goes best with the flow of what is right NOW.
YOU know what EXACTLY you want and I could hopefully help you in any way :)

Let uneasiness be your reminder (that's how I do it sometimes)
I mean: Whenever you feel uneasy watch yourself. This is double the good in my opinion. First of all it gives you the habit of reaching inwardly with your attention. And then also this dissolves your negative patterns. Your expecations that obstruct your view will just fall off but well I am just meditating for very few years now and so my experience might be a little limited - just giving you a nudge :)
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  11:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yuri, over time, all of life becomes practice and there is very little distinction between states of mind felt in meditation and in normal life. People with years of experience don't need meditation in order to bring on samahdi.

However, in the beginning stages, you cannot force this state to emerge. Go ahead and relax! Do your practices, whatever they are, and be patient. Eventually it will come :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000