Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jasper16

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  6:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I've been doing DM for a couple weeks and have been having some amazing experiences and really want to continue but have a couple questions for those helpful and knowledgeable people out there.

1) I have been saying the mantra in my head but along with "intoning" the mantra I see the mantra visually in my head as I'm saying it. This has helped me focus on the mantra but should I not be doing this and just be intoning? Is it ok to see the mantra every time i'm intoning it?

2) I have somewhat of a sensitive digestive system and gi tract and that is one of the reasons i'm looking into meditation but maybe i'm mistaken but sometimes after meditation I feel like i've upset my stomach and that I have a nervous feeling and that I need to have a bowel movement all of a sudden when I wouldn't have had I not meditated. Is this a co-incidence? Anything to help avoid this?

Thanks so much.

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  7:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jasper and welcome!

You just want to easily pick up the mantra vocally in your head. Don't deliberately visualise the mantra. Boy, that would get old when you are saying longer mantra . If a mental picture does appear, just be aware of it and let it go; don't dwell on it or try and bring it back. Carry on with easily picking up the mantra vocally.

Your digestion could be that soma is being created in your GI tract or it could be an energy blockage in your nervous system, or your belly chakra is opening that is causing the complaint.

My digestion has been all over the place for a while but it has cleared up now (no pun intended) with continuing practices.

These lessons might shed some light on what's going on

http://www.aypsite.org/51.html
http://www.aypsite.org/304.html

Peppermint tea is quite good for your digestion once you get over the idea that you are drinking something that smells like toothpaste.
Go to Top of Page

jasper16

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  7:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woosa, wow. Thanks so much for your very helpful responses. I very much appreciate it.

On the digestion question, how long do you think it might take for things to stabilize? I only plan on doing two DM sessions of twenty minutes per Yogani's recommendation. I know everyone is different, so I know there may be no fixed answer. But just wondering.

I did have some very cool substantial energy sensations all last week during meditation during my first week of DM, but things have quieted down as i've tried to ignore them and focus on the practice per Yogani. In case that's relevant.

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  8:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that I can recommend is that maybe cutting your meditation time down 5 or 10 minutes if the sensations in your stomach are too uncomfortable. But if you can get through that then I would carry on as you are with 20 mins twice a day.

With you saying that you have a lot of energy movements the last week this might have caused the digestive problems. I tell you what though things are working for you. Have you been practicing other meditation techniques before?

Go to Top of Page

jasper16

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  8:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. Maybe I should cut down on the meditation time. Now that I think of it I did do a lot of meditation on sat. I did my usual twenty minutes in the morning but someone had given me a guided chakra meditation cd where you meditate through the chakras silently intoning the associated mantra with the chakra and I did that for almost an hour ( I did have some energy sensations during this). I felt fine all day saturday after the meditations but on sunday after I ate my first meal my stomach was in serious knots for a day and a half and my belly was sensitive and painful to the touch; almost felt like i had a stomach bug, but i don't think i did. It's eased up a lot and basically back to normal today but I had some minor digestive disturbances today after my first meditation session, so now thinking maybe there's a pattern here.

To answer your question on meditation, I've been a dilettante, meditating very irregularly over the past two years, with patches of months with no meditation. The type of meditation I did was focusing on my breath (just focusing on it going in and out of my nose). I just recently started this mantra based meditation. I started last week and on the third day I had a pretty powerful energy experience that lasted for a couple minutes that was very pleasurable, starting from my base chakra and spreading all the way through my face. The next couple days during DM I had some less intense energy pulsings coming from my base chakra a few times during the next few meditations but nothing that spread up my body like the first experience. I felt like I was trying to focus on those energy sensations too much and I backed off on that after a couple of days. So the last few days I've been back to just the relaxed practice, but now i've been confounded with this digestive issue.

I think I should probably limit my DM to ten minutes or less based on all this until things stabilize. Hopefully that will be soon, because I'm loving all of this as it's been very illuminating and generally pleasurable.

Thanks again for your input :).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000