New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I find this very powerful... wakes the Ma(shakti) in me.

Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu
http://youtu.be/Hkqwi6oubn4

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one more that touches my heart...

Khwaja Mere Khwaja
http://youtu.be/3dG2FK3_NfQ
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This one is my all time favorites of Jai Uttal...
especially from 8:26 min onward... he sings with so much devotion.. makes me melt.

Jai Uttal- Jaya Radha :
http://youtu.be/8R07ydDo9OM
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti

You might enjoy this as well.

Deva Premal and Miten - Gayatri Mantra:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63COahIpVM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Gatito.

That was going to be one of the next few I was going to post.

I have seen her perform that one live. It transports you into a world of stillness... the energy in that auditorium with 500 or 600 people singing together is unimaginable.

It was funny, at first people were not sure if they should applaud after her first song, did not feel right... we were all deep into stillness and enjoying the energy of the mantras... and had to pull ourselves out of a state of samadhi to applaud... However we are conditioned to applaud... else the artist may not feel appreciated... so after the first song she said not to applaud... and something to the effect (http://www.shunyamproductions.com/devapremal.html)...
experience the performance without the customary applause. This creates a deep silence, a connection between performers and audience that invites stillness and introspection. Says Miten, "The true purpose of our music is to awaken a longing in the heart for that which is omnipresent: the experience of silence and meditation. It's not about entertainment - it is simply our spiritual practice."

Made it so much easier to enjoy her and Krishna Das after that.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In hindsight, I suppose I'd have been suprised if you'd never come across her.

The story that I've heard about this song/mantra is that her father sang her into this world with it and she sang him out. It's a beautiful and poignant story, which should be true, even if it isn't.

I'm looking forward to future episodes (and I promise not to post any more spoilers ).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  8:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gatito

In hindsight, I suppose I'd have been suprised if you'd never come across her.

The story that I've heard about this song/mantra is that her father sang her into this world with it and she sang him out. It's a beautiful and poignant story, which should be true, even if it isn't.

I'm looking forward to future episodes (and I promise not to post any more spoilers ).

Wow! What a beautiful story... I agree, it should be true even if it may not be.

Please feel free to post any songs that inspires you. I can change the topic header to songs that inspire us... I would love to hear what touches you and others as it may touch me too.

Confession time...
When I was first introduced to western kirtans by Kirtanman at the forums, I could not listen to them because of the western pronunciation of the Sanskrit mantras I had grown up with. They hurt my ears. In the process I missed the devotion in the artists. But I soon got past that and now I get lost in the devotion and stillness that flows in their voice and music.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  02:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All of the songs are great but the first one rocks the most dear Shanti

Thank you for sharing both[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]

Much love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i love this one...when i was doing ATTC, during heavy duty karma yoga in the kitchen we used to hear this one...i love it...immediately i see myself again in 2008 lolll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIWY5w89LI
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Had a feeling you would like that one Ananda.

I like that one too Maheswari. Added it to my playlist... Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  10:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So here is one of my favorite Krishna Das Songs (well I am a Ma Kali fan, so kinda have a bias toward songs that praise and glorify her and gets my heart to melt into My Mother ) :

Krishna Das - Devi Puja
http://youtu.be/O-AN7_DvJwk
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And....
Staying with My Mother today...
Another one of my favorites...

Krishna Das - Ma Durga
http://youtu.be/lEkrtL6V2x8
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the song Ma Durga a lot... This song really makes me melt in love with the mother...

God bless you Shantiji[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]

Glory to Ma
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Krishna Das - Heart As Wide As The World - Ramana Maharshi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bP...ture=related
Holding me in your arms’ vast embrace Only love shining in endless space All I need is to be with you All my prayers have been heard All I want is to rest inside Your heart as wide as the world I looked away Your beauty too much to bear Where could I run? Your eyes, I found them everywhere All I want is to sing to you The song that no one has heard All my life has lead me to A heart as wide as the world Shree#65279; Raam Jai Raam Jai Jai Raam
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...=UyjsoO4islY

Ah Jaa Tenu Akhiyan Udeek Diyan ~ Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Original Translations:

00:16 - Without you my heart will collapse,
00:28 - What is the point of my living(without you)?
00:37 - in my (every) pore, in my (every) vein, the beat of your remembrance is playing.
00:45 - come! My eyes are yearning, My heart is shouting out to you.
00:54 - Come O' foreign one, I plead for the sake of Love.
00:58 - (chorus) At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you.
01:24 - My dear, Since you have been upset with me, even the crows have forgotten their speech
01:37 - (chorus) At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you.
02:01 - I have grown tired of looking at the many trails, I have grown weary staying alone,
02:17 - I count every single heartbeat I spend,
02:25 - Come O' foreign one, I plead for the sake of Love.
02:29 - (chorus) At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you.
03:14 - O wilful one, don not be neglecting, every piece of mine is coming to you with love.
03:25 - swiftly come dear! My eyes long for you
03:53 - countless times I have climbed the terrace and I have come down Countless times.
04:07 - neither peace at my heart or patients in my eyes, Nor do I forget the lovely appearance.
04:17 - This love anguishes me and I call to you crying out "finally come Beloved, Don't go Beloved, You win and I lose!"
04:30 - swiftly come dear! My eyes long for you
Raag and duo
06:40 - swiftly come dear! My eyes long for you#
06:51 - when the outside wind flows, My heart starts beating. I come looking whenever the crow speaks*2.
07:07 - Shall I inform you of how this separation is killing me? Come O' distant one, For the sake of Love!
07:20 - At last come! My eyes long for you, O' Beloved, My eyes long for you.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning has broken - Cat Stevens

This song is special as it reminds me of a spiritual mentor who passed into Spirit a year back..!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TI...ture=related
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  12:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda, love the song Ah Jaa Tenu Akhiyan Udeek Diyan ~ Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Someone has suggested this song fits a painting of mine so I had posted the song along with the painting...
http://the-journey-inward.blogspot....1/bride.html

chit-ananda51, what a lovely song...
"Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day"
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  1:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh Yes I stumbled into that song on your website sometime ago Totally forgot
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The story about Deva Premal and her father is true: -

http://www.devapremalmiten.com/arti...yatri-mantra

"When my mother was pregnant with me, their welcome was to sing the Gayatri Mantra throughout the pregnancy."

"I feel so grateful that I could be there until the moment of his death. We were singing the Gayatri Mantra to him until the end and so the circle is complete: He accompanied the beginning of my life with it and I the ending of his. I am also very touched by my family...how they were all joining Miten and I with the singing for him and how we are totally in tune with each other about how to deal with everything now..."

And here are a couple more to add to the list :-

Yo-Yo Ma - Bach Cello Suites (Sorry no links)
Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (extract):- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISBJ-MJ0HI

Makes me cry with happiness (in the right circumstances )
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is beautiful Gatito. Played it while I worked on my new painting yesterday... very inspiring...

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a song we sang during assembly at school. I loved it then, but love it even more now...

This is a prayer I sing to Ma very often...
This is all I would like to be in this life... a channel of her peace....

Susan Boyle - Make me a channel of your peace :
http://youtu.be/jOvQLMfppN8

Lyrics:

Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me bring your love,
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord,
And where there's doubt true faith in you.

Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope,
Where there is darkness, only light,
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

O Master, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved, as to love with all my soul!

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving of ourselves that we receive,
And in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is another song we sang during assembly at school. It is one of my favorite Hindi prayer song :

The lyrics to the song meant a lot then, but mean so much more now.
http://youtu.be/Bqx8NlEQu94

Translation of the Hindi lyrics:

(God) Give us the strength, to win over our minds
Before we try to gain victory over others, let us gain victory over ourselves (mind).

Let us free our hearts of discrimination.
If anyone has wronged us, let us be able to forgive them.
Keep us away from lies and always be in touch with truth.

Before we try to gain victory over others, let us gain victory over ourselves (mind).

If we find ourselves in a difficult situation, please grant us this favor,
Let us not forget what is sacred and give us the strength to stay with the sacred,
Help us stay confident of the self and not give in to fear.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

such a good way to educate kids at school!....putting the seed of viveka (discrimination) in them...lovely
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Played it while I worked on my new painting yesterday... very inspiring...

It's really good to think that this music went into one of your paintings.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that a song got me on this journey, it was only later that I began to see a link.

Lateralus by Tool

Artist: Tool
Lateralus Lyrics

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing,
separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,
infinite possibilities.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing,
separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to...
I embrace my desire to...
feel the rhythm,
to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow,
to feel inspired,
to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral,
to swing on the spiral,
to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground,
I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out.
I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me,
whatever will bewilder me.

And following our will and wind,
we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.

------ Performed by Tool

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  8:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That was the beauty of growing up in India, Maheswari. I never realized how much we we were taught to work first on ourselves before we worked on others. And mind you, I studied in a Catholic school. But it was OK to sing Indian prayer songs right after we said " Our father in heaven".

Gatito, my next painting is a vision I had, and the music just made the paints flow... Thank you so much for it.

Karl, very impressive song/lyrics. Here is a link to it for anyone who would like to hear it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC...gdata_player
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000