Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Monkeys and Ladder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage, and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top. Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.

After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others would beat him up. After some time, no monkey dared to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.

Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The first thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up. After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder - even though he never knew why!

After some time, a second monkey was substituted and the same thing happened. The first monkey participated in beating up the second monkey. A third monkey was changed and the same beating was repeated. The fourth was substituted and the beating was repeated again. Finally the fifth monkey was replaced.

What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that, even though they had never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder. If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder, I bet you the answer would be "I don’t know - that’s how things are done around here."

Look around you, does it sound familiar? Don’t miss the opportunity to share this story with others, as they might be asking themselves why we continue to do what we are doing and if there is a different way out there!

Edited by - nearoanoke on Feb 01 2012 2:34:01 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol I was just thinking to myself... Heck I really don't know a thing and entered AYP and stumbled right directly to this post...

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
loll very nice
Go to Top of Page

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hilarious!

Social conditioning is the game i.e. mental sleep/dream/delusion. The man who is awake has questioned it, and one cannot truly question the world without questioning oneself

Why else would one practice AYP Yoga or Self-enquiry for example. They've questioned.

Once we've discarded the conditioning as that then we're free to delve into the very heart of Self.

May your path, whatever it may be, reveal its Grace through you as you now.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

escapado

Germany
88 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
there is a very similar to this one that I've read a long time ago it was depictured, too
This one I found today on a certain site :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000