Yoga, Career and Money
 more crying about work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  3:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I should have also added in my past post that I always fantasized about being a stand up comic. Don't know where it came from or how it got there but I had it since I was a brat. Always figured it would go away, like dreams of being a football player or boxer but it never has. Problem is now, hell, I'm in my late fifties and I still don't have the guts to even try it. I'm afraid of bombing as much as I'm afraid of makiing it big. Ideal would be if enough people laughed that I got asked back so I could hack out a living at it, making just enough to eat, pay rent and gamble.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you can be a stand up comic - a lot of places have amateur night, and you wouldn't have to worry about bombing because there would be worse amateurs than you there. And it would be easy to work from there into a more professional position; that's where you start.
But don't expect to make a living at it; it's extremely hard.
Usually it's just an ego dream if it is not something you like enough to be doing it already, consistently.
Better to examine that dream more closely, find out exactly what you think you would gain from it, and if that can be gained in any other way. If not, start going to amateur night, first to watch and eventually perform!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imahar, Would you like to give an example of one of funny lines you'd use in stand-up?

Etherfish, Do you speak from experience?

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  12:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From going to see amateur night? Yes.
Never been a comic, just a joker. But have seen interviews of them talking about how hard it is.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  1:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been to a couple open-mics too, as an observer. The ones I went to, about half the people bombed. Somebody I knew performed... they said if it's your first time or if you're a known beginner, they just put you near the beginning of the line-up and the expectations are low. Everybody's there to have a good time, so give it a go if it's in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just as an added bonus, I checked and since the recession the line for open mic tryouts starts three blocks down the street.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Just as an added bonus, I checked and since the recession the line for open mic tryouts starts three blocks down the street.

Is there something funny in that observation? It makes me think of a bread-line... people starving for a laugh.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

you got a laugh, get on with it.

What sort of material? We need a replacement for Bill Hicks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000