AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 the mute fall of a tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i am sure many of you are familiar with this question

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  08:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No. Just like a glass of water isn't a drink unless someone drinks it. It does however follow physical laws of creating energy waves in the air, but sound is perception and needs an ear and brain to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  11:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i know this is not the same but may be related. As a Child whenever i fell down (while running or playing) and hurt my knee and there was nobody to see i used to rub it off and go. but if someone saw me falling i used to cry.

I think children usually do this. But as an adult I think it will be the opposite. I would now try to put a brave face if others are there and cry when nobody is there. lol. The act of children seems more in tune with the nature or tree thing while the adult one seems to be the action filtered through the ego. Or may be both are the ego.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK maheswari - Let's play

As you well know, of course it doesn't make a sound - it isn't even there if Consciousness doesn't witness it
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000