Yoga, Career and Money
 jobs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  8:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have never ever found the right job and the right balance at the same time. If I liked a job it usually paid crap and when I made a lot of dough I usually hated the job and so I spent most of the dough on booze and gambling. I'm 57 now and have always wondered if I could ever find the right job and the right money. I have heart disease so some jobs are out even if I thought I'd like it. I know it's probably me and all my 'blockages' and 'issues' but I've been blaming myself for years and got no where. Plus, isn't it true that spirituality is suppose to be about no desire or want for the material? Even if I'm broke and taking out the garage shouldn't I be joyous?

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  02:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As we say here in Leb when someone gets a job, whatever that job maybe. "Thank God he got a job, the most important thing is that he's working." People really have one hell of a hard time trying to get a job over here. Trust me I know

I think you should thank your lucky stars to have the option. I am only working part time in a book store nowadays but yes, spirituality is personally working for me without having a job. I am simply happy.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

I have never ever found the right job and the right balance at the same time. If I liked a job it usually paid crap and when I made a lot of dough I usually hated the job and so I spent most of the dough on booze and gambling. I'm 57 now and have always wondered if I could ever find the right job and the right money. I have heart disease so some jobs are out even if I thought I'd like it. I know it's probably me and all my 'blockages' and 'issues' but I've been blaming myself for years and got no where. Plus, isn't it true that spirituality is suppose to be about no desire or want for the material? Even if I'm broke and taking out the garage shouldn't I be joyous?

Brilliant. Sucks doesn't it? Been exactly the same for me. It causes illness in the body.

Where there is a right job, there is a wrong job. They are hewn from the same stuff. It then turns into 'I should be able to happy without a job' giving its polar opposite freedom of expression ' i won't be happy unless I have a job'.

Both are ridiculous, they are desire and desire causes suffering. One desire always creates its twin. Between the two is suffering.

Spiritual longing is exactly the same.

Instead of surfing along, instead one wave after another smashes into us. It's saying your doing something wrong. If you resist the wave it hurts even more and drowning doesn't appear to be a great option.

Instead be at one with the waves without fighting or drowning. Let them guide, watch them, let them become your master so that you may in turn become theirs. Share parity, know you and the wave are not different.

Your going to ask what all that wave crap has to do with real life and finding a job, all those practical things.

Well it isn't written anywhere that you should have a job, or that you should have a job you like, neither is it written it should be a good or bad paying job.

What unfolds, unfolds. The perfect job cannot come before you have learned to perfect yourself. Then all jobs are perfect, even not having a job is perfect. Once you realise that, you can end your search for the perfect job because you can see it as the true waste of time it is and the suffering it causes. You cannot surf the wave until you learn to surf. The perfect wave is of the mind and not external. If you can't surf then every wave is just a contest, a battle.

Spiritual development is learning how to surf, to get balance on any wave because all waves are from the source as is the surfer. It's not easy. Getting knocked about day in day out takes its toll, the flesh and the will get worn down, you get broken, busted and left gasping for air.

It is true you know. Something many people do not realise. Most people fall at the final hurdle. Within sight of the finish line they just give up. 99.99999 % completed and they chuck in the towel.

You have to go beyond the spiritual pain barrier, hang in there, grit your teeth and get back at it or die trying. It doesn't get easier. You get moments when you seem to be flying and then the crash is twice as painful. Those seeking happiness will never find it because it is not external, it has to come from within. Damned annoying to see that some already seem to have it. Surfing merrily away while you choke on seaweed and sand. Forget them all, it's just you, your task, focus, take the blows and focus again.

It will happen if you let it. good surfing.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also it helps to work on the fear of failure. Contemplate what kind of person you would be if everything failed. Plan what you could do to survive. Imagine yourself putting your ishta ahead of everything even if you are homeless.
Imagine having a crappy job that doesn't pay, and putting all your energy into devotion, and being OK and not unhappy in spite of it. Then give away some of your time doing whatever you are really good at. Doing what you like doesn't have to be connected to money.
Often fears are caused by avoiding a subject rather than investigating it.
Once you investigate all the possible outcomes of never having a good job, and do a lot of thinking about what you could do, you can say "OK, i am ready for that, and i can handle it".
And once you have that attitude, it is much easier to find a job because it doesn't have to be perfect. And that is a big step towards the perfect job coming to you without having to try so hard.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  08:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So this is a universal principle: In order to create what you want, you have to be able to accept what you don't want.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  1:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful but 'right work' is a buddhist-spiritual thing, is it not? Right now, I'm far from being enlightened and have way too much time on my hands (I'm not good at inventing stuff to do), plus I feel like a leach in this American-productive society of ours. I would like to do 'my part' for the world and also have a litte satisfaction from it. Maybe that's too much to ask?
Thanks again,
L
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  1:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lmaher22

Have you tried releasing the intention for "right work" right after DM, samyama style? Might be worth a go?

Love!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  2:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you considered volunteering?

I'm also looking for work at the moment. My desire to work and serve is growing to the point where I'm on the verge of volunteering. I think it's a wonderful way to spend your time while looking for paid work.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thank you all very much. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful but 'right work' is a buddhist-spiritual thing, is it not? Right now, I'm far from being enlightened and have way too much time on my hands (I'm not good at inventing stuff to do), plus I feel like a leach in this American-productive society of ours. I would like to do 'my part' for the world and also have a litte satisfaction from it. Maybe that's too much to ask?
Thanks again,
L

Right work is exactly what your doing by spiritual growth. Your under estimating the impact because you don't yet see where you fit in it.

This does not mean that you shouldn't have a career or that you shouldn't seek a career.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks again,
L

I didn't mean it for you to think you're ungrateful, I just wanted you to count your blessings for having such a wide variety of jobs. I think you should stay with the job that makes you happy also while keeping in mind that too much money won't bring happiness.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  11:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Plus, isn't it true that spirituality is suppose to be about no desire or want for the material?

No, I don't find that to be true. Spirituality will mean different things to each person, but I feel that the spiritual path is about being fully human rather than trying to live up to an ideal of perfection. Desire is a powerful energy that can be harnessed for wonderful purposes if focused properly. We live in a material body, in a material world, and therefore we need material things like food, shelter, clothes, money, etc. to some degree. To deny our desires or material needs is to deny our humanity, IMO.

quote:

Even if I'm broke and taking out the garage shouldn't I be joyous?

If you can be joyous despite the circumstances of life, then more power to you. That kind of peace will come with meditation practice. Being broke can be stressful, but it's also a great opportunity to cultivate gratitude for what you do have. I'm pretty broke, but I still try to share what I have with others. And I find that no matter how my mind perceives my problem, I somehow always have what I need. Life finds a way to take care of me, as it does you and everyone else. We only need to see it to really appreciate it.

Best of luck on the job search!

Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Dec 16 2011 11:21:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  12:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow cosmic!...great advice....
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  02:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very well said Cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Cosmic and "always have what I need" could be stretched to mean "at least I'm still alive". Your mind will try to add all kinds of things on to that, but if you think about it, whatever it adds, there are people in the world who don't have it.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  02:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

..."always have what I need" could be stretched to mean "at least I'm still alive".

Haha! The ultimate consolation prize
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  10:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...I'm far from being enlightened and have way too much time on my hands (I'm not good at inventing stuff to do)...

Hi Larry,

You're a semi-retired carpenter with a taste for politics: you remind me of some old fellows I have met volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. You would have to pace yourself with that heart condition, but if you were interested, I think they might find a place for you if you offered (especially if you were willing to travel).

Be

Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bewell, strong advice. I used to teach also, sometimes though I have a tendency 'preach' instead of teach. For now meditating and going broke in the stock market will have to do.:-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000