AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 A self-inquiry to try
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  11:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Here's a dynamite self-inquiry.

Pick a moment when you're feeling at peace. Not fighting with the universe. When you have that "ah, life is good" feeling, be it from practice or just a nice chair on the right beach at the right time. It may not happen for a while. Fine. Just wait for it.

Then watch your mind. Closely. Observe what takes you out off it. It's very very interesting and very very useful.

The practice is exceedingly difficult, because the process that derails your peace will also derail your observation (i.e. you'll forget to observe right at the point when you'll most want to be observing). So one trick is get a timer that beeps every couple minutes. When it beeps, drop everything to examine your peace, your happiness, and (most importantly) the center of your mental attention. Try to piece together the chain of thoughts and feelings that brought you there, and work backward. Don't take time to mull it over or draw conclusions. Just scientifically observe, note, then go back to your business. Do the analysis and draw the conclusions at a later time.

If you're imaginative, you can do this right now, in retrospect. Visualize yourself at one of those peak periods we all have (I like the beach image)....and notice what derails it. I'd suggest NOT posting your conclusions here. Let everyone try it freshly. You'll find your preliminary findings are rough and sketchy, but you fine tune it as you really work on this. Best for all to do it individually, IMO.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 22 2006 11:11:51 PM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I feel at peace nothing can derail it. It's always a gradual loss, which takes a full night's sleep, and a full day's interaction. Then things will start to bother me a little if I don't meditate at all. If I continue to not meditate i'll get more bothered over time.
Or if I'm having too much caffeine I won't meditate very deeply.
Or are you talking about just imagining something is "derailing" it?
It doesn't seem to be triggered by an event with me.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  01:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't feel it 24/7, then I'm talking about step one of whatever process makes it go away. nothing more complicated than that. Watching for step one.
Go to Top of Page

satyan

34 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit satyan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Jim,

i have done what u said even without effort and mostly it is the things which i see or hear, anything that i see, or a deep thought which i missed out somewhere in the day. no big deal about it. it also does not sound like self-inquiry for me.

satyan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000