Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Vibration in throat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've noticed in my practices that during moments of stillness, I feel a strong vibration in my throat. At the beginning I figured it would pass, but it still happens (more often than ever) seven months later. I also now feel this vibration during moments of stillness in my everyday life.

The vibration doesn't bother me at all, but I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a sign of a blockage or something along those lines.

Interestingly, I've had throat problems here and there for most of my life, but they have completely subsided since I started practices.

Any comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  1:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brett - I've had a lot of throat activity too, which I've attributed to chakra opening. I don't have much to say on the subject right now, but try this experiment: Next time you find yourself in a situation where you want to say something but you're afraid you might either hurt the other person's feelings or piss them off, say what's on your mind, be very direct, and see what happens. Don't do it for their sake; do it to find out what happens for you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  2:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brett:

Most inner vibration like that is energy passing through some obstruction -- friction. With practices, accompanied by good self-pacing, it will clear up in time. If it is taking more time than we expected, then we can be sure it is something pretty deep unwinding in there. So much the better once it is finally unraveled. We will know it has when we can still sense the energy flowing through there, and it is smooth and pleasant (or ecstatic!). There are all sorts of positive implications in this for our daily life, of course.

If you are not into chin pump yet, doing a comfortable daily session of chin pump lite (starting out very short) can help with throat energy obstructions. Make sure to cycle the attention between root and brow with breathing when doing it, just as we do in spinal breathing. This will help balance the energy.

Any other safe activity we can do to exercise the affected region can help also -- asanas, verbal expression, like Meg suggests, and just generally letting the energy work itself through, rather than holding it back, when we are not in sitting practices. You might find that as you do that, some sensations can happen in other areas, especially the heart/emotions. So, we don't overdo too much in specific areas, knowing that the energy will always be shifting elsewhere and making some friction at the point of most resistance.

That's why we keep up the "global" program of purification and opening that deep meditation and spinal breathing provide. This way, we will not be running from trouble spot to trouble spot all the time, but cleaning out the whole nervous system simultaneously instead.

Finally, if the symptom is coming up in meditation with intensity, we can always let the attention rest innocently on the sensation for a while, and this will usually aid in dissolving it. Never underestimate the healing power of pure bliss consciousness -- the witness!

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2006 :  9:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Meg and Yogani. I'll be following your suggestions and will report back in a month or so.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, my throat and tongue have gotten more active over time as well.

There is a nerve which comes down the forehead, down the bridge of the nose, around the type, and then down into the gums right between the two front teeth.

You may at some point find the tongue resting there, or resting its tip in that area.

The pumping sensation you have can flow from the nerve of the tongue to other nerves in the mouth. If you have any observations like this in the future, don't be alarmed and enjoy the discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  11:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg said:
"Next time you find yourself in a situation where you want to say something but you're afraid you might either hurt the other person's feelings or piss them off, say what's on your mind, be very direct, and see what happens. Don't do it for their sake; do it to find out what happens for you."

i've been doing this for years, unrelated to yoga. What i've found, besides it being very good for me, is HOW you say it is of utmost importance. people starting this practice tend to say it with tension or fear, being afraid of the response. Then the other person responds to this tension or fear.
Take a second to release all tension and fear, and say it in a relaxed manner as if you were observing the weather.
You'll find the other person hardly ever reacts badly at all, and you'll wonder why you've ever held back.
Of course we should show restraint in making negative comments. A feeling like "Haven't you gained a LOT of weight?" should probably be changed to something more benevolent like "I'm going jogging. Want to go with me?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000