NBC report - meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I saw an interesting clip on the national network TV news saturday night (NBC).

The gist of it was that meditation has been shown to reduce aging effects on the brain, such as memory loss, alzheimer's etc.

But even better, the report went on to say that it has been shown that meditation actually increased grey matter in the brain and increased the connective tissue between different parts of the brain which allows people to access information in different parts of the brain better-- It actually boosts a person's brainpower even in older people. Scientists used to think that your brain's growth was fairly well set as an adult--not so; it can keep growing for meditators.

Light and Love,
Kathy

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 12:37:06 AM

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read this too a few months ago, though somewhere else. Nice discovery, especially for not-too(or not-yet??)-spiritual guy like me. The next question I hope sciences can find out, is whether meditation can stimulate the birth of new neurons. The usual consenus is that the number of our neurons will only get fewer as we age. (although those which did not die out may form more connections) Some recent researches suggest that we may get up to a few thausands new neurons, but that's negligible when compared with the up to 100,000 we lose everyday.

Before anything useful are found, though, it's better not to think too much about that neuron loss: worrying will only accelerate the process!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  1:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How many here agree with this report?

I have always been a very busy person.. a million things happening at the same time.. I was also a very high-strung person, but very organized in my head.. I never had to write anything down, no matter how many things I was doing in one day. Last year after AYP, I noticed I was getting forgetful.. reason, I was more relaxed and was not constantly tensed and worried. So I started writing things down. Then came this self inquiry stuff.. and now.. I try to live in the present.. result is, if I don't write down stuff immediately.. its gone from my head.

OK, it could be old age.. but it really caught on fast.. must have lost a lot of my memory or as Alvin put it.. neurons.. in a year...
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

I doubt it really matters how many facts you can remember as long as you are happy... but if it's important to you, try taking zinc. When I take more zinc to-do memory and phone number type memory seems to double.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  11:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I doubt it really matters how many facts you can remember as long as you are happy

If you have very few neurons, you may still be happy. But the problem is: your family and those around you will suffer. At the very least you will not be able to do that much for the others...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  11:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, it probably has more to do with change in your intent, and priorities. You have probably learned that it is not important to remember all that stuff because you can write it down, and would rather use your brain in other, more relaxing ways. The more you use your brain to remember things, the better you will get at it, and vice versa.
If your life depended on it, I guarantee you could remember it all like you used to.

But it's true happiness is more important. My less intelligent friends are in general more happy than my more intelligent friends! I think the intelligent people try to take responsibility for too many things just because they understand them. They think too much. The brain is a tool, and tools are meant to be used, then put away for a while. Most people use their brain like the guy who thinks pliers are so great he tries to do everything with them in his hands.

Edited by - Etherfish on May 15 2006 11:56:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  11:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I have always been a very busy person.. a million things happening at the same time.. I was also a very high-strung person, but very organized in my head.. I never had to write anything down, no matter how many things I was doing in one day. Last year after AYP, I noticed I was getting forgetful.. reason, I was more relaxed and was not constantly tensed and worried. So I started writing things down. Then came this self inquiry stuff.. and now.. I try to live in the present.. result is, if I don't write down stuff immediately.. its gone from my head.

OK, it could be old age.. but it really caught on fast.. must have lost a lot of my memory or as Alvin put it.. neurons.. in a year...

Hi Shanti,

Great topic. I have had an ongoing conversation with a friend over the past few weeks regarding the forgetfulness that we have both been faced with recently. This can be something as simple as forgetting to do something at work, to completely losing a sense of direction while driving through my neighborhood (luckily this only happens for a few seconds ).

The best possible answer that I have come up with thus far has to do with the separation of the self and the brain. In our practices (especially something like self-inquiry), we are essentially turning off the auto-pilot in our brain and in doing so, there may be a temporary learning curve involved in accessing this information on our own. In this case, it would actually be a sign of progress.

I'm greatly interested to hear more thoughts on this subject.

Brett

Edited by - trip1 on May 16 2006 11:41:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yoda, Ether and Brett..
I agree it is better to be happy than be a walking PDA.

Actually, I was not complaining.. I don't care if I remember a bunch of useless info or not.. although there are times I have promised 2 or 3 people I will do something for them around the same time.. but haven't got into trouble yet...

The only reason I posted this was to see if people agreed with this NBC report that... "meditation actually boosts a person's brainpower even in older people. Scientists used to think that your brain's growth was fairly well set as an adult--not so; it can keep growing for meditators"

In my case it seems to be doing just the opposite..
Maybe it is just temporary like Brett pointed out.. "The best possible answer that I have come up with thus far has to do with the separation of the self and the brain. In our practices (especially something like self-inquiry), we are essentially turning off the auto-pilot in our brain and in doing so, there may be a temporary learning curve involved in accessing this information on our own. In this case, it would actually be a sign of progress".

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm Might make a good film

"SHANTI AND THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING BRAIN"

Seriously tho folks I have experienced this, only with me it seems to always be associated with coming out of meditation to quickly or over doing it with meditation, also forcing the mantra can definitely cause this.

I have found that correct meditation usually makes me feel more alive and brighter. Not that I always do get it right I don't think any of us do always.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard.. no movies on me my dear.. you have got me into enough trouble already (just kidding!!)

About " coming out of meditation to quickly or over doing it with meditation, also forcing the mantra".. that would be for a day or two maybe.. and also.. I am not inactive or dull during the day.. can't afford to be.. just need to make a effort to remember stuff.. like Brett said.. takes time for the brain to start working on its own.. once it is off autopilot..
Love it Brett..

Edited by - Shanti on May 17 2006 10:20:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

there are exercises you can do to improve memory and clarity. The idea is to increase usage of the whole brain rather than the dominant side. Ideas include doing crossword puzzles and soduku. Another exercise will have you remember one object in your home at the beginning of the day. At night try to remember that one thing. The next day, remember two objects, and then three, etc up to some number you wish.

The idea is to add activities that stretch your mind in ways that are out of the norm for you--where you use your mind in some very different way.

Adequate sleep improves memory as well. There is a current theory that too much iron in one's diet can cause a build-up in the brain that leads to and exacerbates dimensia, along with all its symptoms. This has been found to be especially true for men. The scientists interviewed in that program recommended that people not take iron supplements stand-alone or within their daily vitamins unless they really needed them.

There are a series of cd's available from the Monroe Institute that supposedly help one improve their memory, their mental clarity and agility and focus.

In all of my subjective experience with meditation over the years I've perceived an increased clarity, improved mental function and general attitude and feeling of well being. When younger, it led to a decreased need for rest. I don't ever feel that it decreased memory.

In light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  11:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kathy. That was very sweet.. I will keep your ideas in mind..

But seriously guys..
I was not complaining.. I don't care if I remember a bunch of useless info or not..

So lets just go back to talking about the report.. Pleeeease...

Edited by - Shanti on May 17 2006 11:48:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  12:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will throw in a huge statement:

Meditation can change your DNA !

You are the creator of yourself.
Science is at a loss defining Self.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just glad to see scientists curious about meditation and other such subjects that may not have been taken as seriously decades ago. The more they learn and give can give creedence to, the more they'll study it. The more they study it, the more people will hear about it and perhaps accept it as something they should try. A positive cycle....

blessings,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wolfgang,

Have you seen studies indicating meditation may assist repairs at the cellular level? What do you mean?? Can you please clarify your interesting comment? thanks!

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Wolfgang said:
Meditation can change your DNA !

This would be wonderful if it were true. It would mean that people could pass on spiritual benefits to the children they beget. But it's outside conventional 'scientific' belief certainly.

This would be Lamarckian evolution (sp?). No evidence of any kind of Lamarckian evolution has ever been found, alas. All scientifically evidenced evolution is Darwinian so far.

By the way, healing processes in general may well, without scientific controversy, extend to DNA REPAIR, which is not the same as changing it....
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Darwin believes in chance / random evolution
Science professes cause and effect.
Quantumphysics finds that effects depend on the observer (= the mind/self/spirit)
How does spiritual healing work ?
How does positive (and negative) thinking affect health ?

May I recommend following web-page:

http://www.odysseyofthesoul.org/fre...eyond12.html

And lots of other interesting stuff to be found there ;-)

With Love and Light
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  2:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi friends. We know all things are possible from The Source. As creation emanates from That we create our realities. Of course these are just my ideations, but are borrowed from credible dwellers in Source. Lest we "forget", all things are re-membered There.

Edited by - alan on May 17 2006 2:23:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Time for the hard nose:

>> Quantumphysics finds that effects depend on the observer (= the mind/self/spirit)

I question the value of the partial understanding of quantum mechanics that gets promoted, throught movies like 'What the Bleep do we know' and other popular works.

A few misleading impressions:
1. It's not at all clear the the 'observer' in quantum physics is mind/self/spirit at all. There really is measurement/collapse of the wavefunction, and there are a lot of questions about what that is, but 'observation' by some sentient entity is not a necessary part of the model at all.

2. The word 'depends on' in the above phrase can be misleading. 'Is inseparable from' might be better. If there is some impression that quantum mechanics suggests that our frame of mind affects results -- well, that's just totally wrong. Quantum mechanics doesn't suggest that in any imaginable way.

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 17 2006 6:13:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quantum mechanics is a theory which tries to explain our 3D-reality.
Science is trying to bring us knowledge about our 3D-universe
on an ever evolving scale.

Philosophy uses reason and tries to give us thought concepts
about our existence.

Religion tries to find God, find the Self, to get rid of the
illusion of being separated.

Illusions of space, of time and of self are to be solved.

Very interesting topic ! Keep posting.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  01:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Um...manipulating scientific jargons won't give you anything meaningful, until you make sense of it as related to the context. Then it may be meaningful, but still not necessarily correct.

Shanti wrote:
quote:
How many here agree with this report?

Shanti, it doesn't make much sense to say whether we "agree with" certain scientific findings, just as we don't usually say we "agree with" the statistics that most dogs have 4 legs. We challenge scientific findings by pointing at their methodological fallicies or limitations.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  03:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought does influence matter. HOW exactly this is done I don't know.

But hey, what else are we doing here in Yoga other than expanding
and purifying our nervous system. Our nervous system is matter,
is our body. We are changing it through exercises of thought.

Does any thinking person doubt that thought is the foundation of reality?
Thought triggers will, emotion, and desire.
Will, emotion, and desire trigger bio-chemical reactions which in turn motivate behavior.

We are the creator of our self.
By chosing to think a certain thought, I create something.
In Yoga I am purifying and expanding my nervous system.
This is influencing matter.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wolfgang and all;

I agree that our thoughts create our realities. Our thoughts are based on how we perceive, and our perceptions are influenced by our thoughts. It's a circle that keeps our world tidy so we can feel comfortable collecting our nuts. Our perceptions are also based on how we feel through our senses; hot, cold, hungry etc. The circle is a linear experience in this place. We are trying to figure out on this thread how we create our realities within the confines of this linear circle. I don't think it can be done with such a limited thought process.

Understanding how it works directly through the experience of being is a different kind of understanding; it cannot be measured within the confines of the linear circle that It manifested in the beginning.

As Wolfgang said we are purifying our nervous systems through yoga. That will change our focus of perception away from the linear circle to the source. But it was also said that we are changing our nervous systems through exercises of thought. I don't think yoga and thoughts are the same thing

I think yoga can change our focus of perception so that our thoughts will come from the source more and more rather than from the circle of thought/feeling/perception in this created world. As that change of focus comes about I think we will be more effective at accessing more potent thoughts from the source of creation which are thoughts that have potential to change our realities.

Just my two cents. Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 20 2006 10:58:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just viewing my post and noticed that I didn't really make clear whatever point I was trying to make. I think I was trying to say that when we are unconscious (caught up in maya) we don't see how our thoughts are creating our realities. Hence our realities seem to be out of our hands as we are only looking at peices of the whole; an incomplete picture. When we are conscious we not only see the process but we also have access to the source at the beginning of the process. We "see" the whole picture and step aside from the process of creation and can better channel positive change from the source.

I've veered off the original post I think it's wonderful that scientific study shows evidence of brain growth due to meditation.

Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 20 2006 3:14:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  9:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello;

I almost deleted all that gobbeldydegoop I posted above. Quite nauseating. But I left it just in case there might be something of value(?).

So I decided to leave something of beauty:

sandalwood & jasmine

There's my two scents! Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 20 2006 9:23:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  12:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear one Alan,
thank you for not deleting your posts. I enjoyed reading them and they are indeed of value for us to share. And I also love those two 'scents'!! How clever is that! :)

in all love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000