Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Gurglings,thirdeye openings,Kundalini storms??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  11:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So, how do you know you've had the kundalini rise? Yogani's three steps rocket is

1)Stillness
2)Kundalini
3)Unity

Is is possible you guys are at stage 1, experiencing the witness and more ecstacy is to come?

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  2:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

My farting eyeball assures me that I am in stage two of the three step program!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for reviving this - I missed this in august!

quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:
No - I think they mean Elvis Costello

no no no no no Karl did Not mean Elvis Costello....he meant the Elvis from your side Ether
where is the fireworks in talking to a person who is still alive?

Because he is so famous - And you're talking as if Elvis Presley is dead! I think he is spotted pretty often in Las Vegas
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny post Karl :)

Lack of scenery is a blessing! You've def got the right attitude :)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  01:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Because he is so famous - And you're talking as if Elvis Presley is dead! I think he is spotted pretty often in Las Vegas

loll ...in Vegas Elvis is alive and quicking...same in halloween
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  3:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thread, guys and gals. Keep up the fantastic work.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  01:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well we are a bunch of people gathered in one forum that like to laugh all the time...yoga is only a cover up
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  1:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I think I'm missing out I read all these things and can't say I have experienced much of anything. Pranayama and meditations are free of anything particularly memorable as the fireworks I read through this forum.

All I know is the unmoving, timeless something that is the true self. I am now my own witness if that makes any sense. All these other things seem like something from a fantastic fun fair, like a huge glamorous show. Brilliant, it's like I missed out on all the rides and went straight home.

It seems a bit like a seed, eventually it gets roots and some sort of upper growth. Some unfold out as Rose bushes,Giant Trees or entire gardens complete with waterfalls, but it's all the same movement back towards what already was. My experiences by comparison seem to have been the single blade of grass.

Hi Karl,

The end result of the kundalini process is the production of amrita from the crown. It feels like someone is continually pouring oil on the top of your head which then trickles down your body. This is really the only way of knowing if you have been through a kundalini awakening or not. If you are not experiencing that, then it is probably still to come, fireworks and all.

You may find this podcast on amrita useful.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 03 2012 1:43:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

[quote]Originally posted by karl

Hi Karl,

The end result of the kundalini process is the production of amrita from the crown. It feels like someone is continually pouring oil on the top of your head which then trickles down your body. This is really the only way of knowing if you have been through a kundalini awakening or not. If you are not experiencing that, then it is probably still to come, fireworks and all.

Christi

I had that feeling a while ago, put my head in the wrong place when I unscrewed the sump plug on the car. It was hot, so that must have been rising energy?

I do Pranayama twice per day and it must be getting on for 3 years now. Sometimes it seems that it's slightly pointless, but I do it anyway as a way of settling into DM and because it is recommended. Never expected, or believed in the idea that anything would happen, considering it more of a warm up exercise.

I did have a lot of fireworks early on with DM, but shrugged it all off as scenery. Maybe I would shrug of Kundalini the same way?

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  11:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

If you are not experiencing amrita, except when you stick your head under your car engine with the sump bolt removed, then there is some distance still to go.

It will happen anyways, with or without pranayama, but will happen faster with pranayama. Your call of course.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  11:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

p.s.
It will also happen more safely, and more controllably with pranayama used in a wise manner.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl,

p.s.
It will also happen more safely, and more controllably with pranayama used in a wise manner.

Hi Christi, Does that mean I am somehow using it unwisely?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  12:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Not at all. 10 to 20 minutes of spinal breathing pranayama twice a day is a wise use of pranayama. When the kundalini energy awakens, it will do so in a manner that is safer than if you did not practice it. This is because the primary route that is purified through the practice is a safe one leading to the ajna chakra.

There are people practising other forms of yoga, who are practising pranayama in a way that does not lead to a safer awakening. That is why I added the proviso, as these forums are read by many.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl,

Not at all. 10 to 20 minutes of spinal breathing pranayama twice a day is a wise use of pranayama. When the kundalini energy awakens, it will do so in a manner that is safer than if you did not practice it. This is because the primary route that is purified through the practice is a safe one leading to the ajna chakra.

There are people practising other forms of yoga, who are practising pranayama in a way that does not lead to a safer awakening. That is why I added the proviso, as these forums are read by many.

I only do 5 minutes, so well inside the 'wise' zone.
It's funny, this is quite an old thread, yet you decided to post. Maybe it's about to happen and you are there to make sure I understand what's going on
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Just wondering... is there any reason that you do 5 mins of SBP rather than 15 or 20? Do you do any add-ons? siddhasana, sambavi mudra, mulabanda?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Time is the key reason. I do 5 mins SB, 20 mins DM, 5mins Samyama (9 sutras repeated twice each). With rest, that gives around 36mins.

If I had the time available then I probably wouldn't do any more. I actually find SB hard work. I developed a type of Asthma a few years ago after some high altitude climbing combined with a bout of flu. It's under control now, however sometimes it can be brought on by the deep breathing of SB and leaves me coughing and wheezing.

I have tried taking it easy, but the final path through the head always seems to make me take in a really deep breath which can almost be painful.

DM is always regarded as the most important practice according to Yogani so, apart from Samyama, which has been effective, SB I have done because it was recommended. I had never really bothered about Kundalini as it always seemed to represent something a bit strange and unnecessary.

I have an open mind on that, that's just how it's been up until now when you have piqued my interest with your questions. There are many things I once regarded as the preserve of the weird, which are now incorporated in my every day life with benefits.

Maybe I need to look at it more closely........I draw the line at tongue snipping........well unless it proves beneficial
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  3:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Yes, you are right, meditation is the most important practice, so if time is a factor, then I would stick with what you are doing.

If you are asthmatic, it is not necessary to practice full yogic breathing with SBP, or even abdominal breathing, or to slow the breath down if it creates difficulty. I'm asthmatic and I usually don't alter the breath in any way. I also leave out ujayi breathing.

The important thing is the connection between the root chakra and the ajna chakra, and tracing the pathway between the two. Everything else is an optional extra. If moving through the head causes you to slow or force the breath, and that makes you uncomfortable, then I would recommend jumping with the attention from the base of the neck to the forehead. You need to be relaxed enough during the practice to be able to feel into the subtle body, otherwise it won't have much effect.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl,

Yes, you are right, meditation is the most important practice, so if time is a factor, then I would stick with what you are doing.

If you are asthmatic, it is not necessary to practice full yogic breathing with SBP, or even abdominal breathing, or to slow the breath down if it creates difficulty. I'm asthmatic and I usually don't alter the breath in any way. I also leave out ujayi breathing.

The important thing is the connection between the root chakra and the ajna chakra, and tracing the pathway between the two. Everything else is an optional extra. If moving through the head causes you to slow or force the breath, and that makes you uncomfortable, then I would recommend jumping with the attention from the base of the neck to the forehead. You need to be relaxed enough during the practice to be able to feel into the subtle body, otherwise it won't have much effect.

Christi

So, you just breath naturally? I follow the cold current up the spine with the inward breath (I don't visualise the silver thread as it just didn't work ) and the hot current back down. The cold current used to be very strong, but no longer. The hot current is very strong and my breath is locked to the speed of its sinking.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  5:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

If it is causing you discomfort, it is possible to disconnect the breath from energy movements in the body, just as it is possible to disconnect the breath from the mantra in meditation. You can set the speed of your inhale and exhale and let the energy do it's thing. You may find that the energy follows your breath, but if not, it doesn't matter. If you are comfortable following the speed of the hot current, then that's O.K. too.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  6:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes start with normal breathing but it often turns into a much deeper thing. If it wasn't for the slow exhale I would be hyper ventilating.

When I think about it, during the NLP trainings we did practice some energy work by deep breathing for 3 minutes. I hated it as it very uncomfortable and I became light headed and nauseous.

Not sure why this is, except when I was in my teens I used to cycle a lot. I trained myself to do controlled breathing for tough ascents. It was medative in many ways, I learned to control my breath to quite a degree and had some ability to reduce my heart rate. We used to race a bit for fun and the breath control gave me a big advantage in the hills.

During testing for Asthma the GP performed an oxygen absorption test and was surprised at the low level of oxygen uptake. I told him that it made sense to me because I use little oxygen when resting, which he laughed at. I told him that if I increased the amount of inhale it would alter. He assured me it wasn't possible and I asked to take the test again. This time, with bigger inhales the number sky rocketed. He kept saying it couldn't happen and could not offer an explanation.

Maybe this is something to do with my dislike of SB ?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Yes, that is the same here... if the breath slows down it can turn into hyper-ventilation which is not really good preparation for meditation!

But I also find that sometimes, the breath can slow down on it's own during spinal breathing and the hyperventilation doesn't happen, so I guess you just have to monitor it and find what works. If you are in doubt, just breathe normally and don't let your breath be slowed by any of the energy currents of the body.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  06:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Karl,

Yes, that is the same here... if the breath slows down it can turn into hyper-ventilation which is not really good preparation for meditation!

But I also find that sometimes, the breath can slow down on it's own during spinal breathing and the hyperventilation doesn't happen, so I guess you just have to monitor it and find what works. If you are in doubt, just breathe normally and don't let your breath be slowed by any of the energy currents of the body.

Christi

That's not in the AYP books or lessons is it ?

So just breathe normally, forget about following energy currents or silver thread and miss out the head part?

I will give it a whirl.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  08:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

quote:
That's not in the AYP books or lessons is it ?

So just breathe normally, forget about following energy currents or silver thread and miss out the head part?

I will give it a whirl.

It is all from the lessons... I'm not just making it up as I go along.

If you look at lesson 41 it reads:

"Sit comfortably with back support, and close your eyes just as you do when you meditate. Now, keeping your mouth closed, breathe in and out slowly and deeply through your nose, but not to the extreme. Be relaxed and easy about it, breathing as slowly and deeply as possible without discomfort. There is no need to be heroic."

So if you are asthmatic, and slowing the breath down leads to discomfort then leave it out. The most important thing is to be comfortable and relaxed.

The next part on the same lesson says:

"Next, with each rising inhalation of the breath, allow your attention to travel upward inside a tiny thread, or tube, you visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows. "

When sensations arise during spinal breathing the advice is not to be distracted by them, and just continue with the simple practice. It is here in lesson 44:

"So, imagining the spinal nerve is just a beginning, We have to start somewhere. As we trace out the path of it over and over again with the breath, something begins to happen. Something starts coming up. It may be feelings. It may be colors. It may be sounds. We will experience something. We just keep practicing, not detouring very much into the sensations that come up. "

The advice about bypassing the head and jumping straight to the ajna chakra is given by Yogani for two different cases. The first is where people find it hard initially to synchronise the breath with the attention moving up the spine. He says to simply jump with the attention to the ajna when you reach the end of an inhalation, and the same with jumping to the root at the end of an exhalation. The second case where I have heard him advise it is where people have a blockage which they cannot move past in the sushumna nadi. He says to simply jump past it.

Give it a whirl, and see how it goes. It's actually one of the most amazing practices on earth.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000